Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 08:48 pm
So, my father isn't the most pro-gay per say. Both of my parents call me "fag" and say "that's so gay" all of the time which really irritates me because I am gay and it makes me feel upset. I was wondering about a way to come out to my parents or at least to get them to stop saying the kind of insults that are irritating to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 09:58 pm
They are rude at the least, homophobic at best.

So . . . be prepared to leave after you tell them. It doesn't sound like they are going to handle it well.

Are you going to need their approval to get through your life? Maybe distancing yourself from them will help. Sometimes distant relatives need to stay that way.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:00 am
@anon123210,
Oh, man, I'm sorry this is happening. Is there someone who could act as a buffer in your relationship with your parents? Say, a trusted aunt, who would be sympathetic and supportive and who could help you press them to not be so nasty even before you come out? A member of the clergy might do this, or a teacher.
anon123210

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 06:44 am
@jespah,
Haha no. My aunt and uncle are way worse then my father. Quite honestly I don't think it would be a good idea for me to come out yet because I am still a minor and I have I stay with my parents. But, maybe if I find a way to try to get him to stop saying the insults that really annoy me that would help out.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 07:31 am
@anon123210,
anon123210 wrote:

Haha no. My aunt and uncle are way worse then my father. Quite honestly I don't think it would be a good idea for me to come out yet because I am still a minor and I have I stay with my parents. But, maybe if I find a way to try to get him to stop saying the insults that really annoy me that would help out.

I suspect you are correct that it would not be a good idea to come out yet. There may never be a good time...but at some point, you will have to do it.

Doesn't sound to me as though they will cut down on the remarks, though, so use the problem to develop a thick skin. You will need it.

(They may suspect you are gay...and that may be the reason for the remarks...in the mistaken notion that the bad mouthing of gayness might "change" you.)
jespah

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 08:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
That may very well be the case. How sad. Hang in there, anon. A lot of people in the world aren't like that.
anon123210

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 05:06 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, I've gotten kinda used to it. Anyways. Thanks for the help. Only time will tell I guess.
jespah

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 07:05 am
@anon123210,
I hope you have a good Thanksgiving (or at least a good Thursday if you're not American). As they say, it gets better.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:57 pm
@anon123210,
A lot depends on your age. I can tell you from first hand experience that gender identity issues, no matter how strong, do not define your true identity until you become much older. Much can be gained in your teen years by focusing on other relevant issues such as academic interests.

Time will build the matrix of your life.

I know. Trying not to think of it is a b/^&£ch!
0 Replies