So many say the bible is pure to Monotheism, So why is Tartaroo from Greek Polytheistism in the NT

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:31 pm
Quote:
The noun Tartarus does not occur but tartaroo (ταρταρόω, “throw to Tartarus”), a shortened form of the classical Greek verb kata-tartaroo (“throw down to Tartarus”), does appear in 2 Peter 2:4. Liddell Scott provides other sources for the shortened form of this verb, including Acusilaus (5th century BC), Joannes Laurentius Lydus (4th century AD) and the Scholiast on Aeschylus‘ Eumenides, who cites Pindar relating how the earth tried to tartaro “cast down” Apolloafter he overcame the Python.[9] In classical texts, the longer form kata-tartaroo is often related to the throwing of the Titans down to Tartarus.[10]
The ESV is one of several English versions that gives the Greek reading Tartarus as a footnote:
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell [1] and committed them to chains [2] of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment;”
Footnotes [1] 2:4 Greek Tartarus
1. ^ Jump up to:a b Georg Autenrieth. “Τάρταρος”. A Homeric Dictionary. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
2. Jump up^ Hesiod, Theogony 116–119.
9. ^ A. cast into Tartarus or hell, Acus.8 J., 2 Ep.Pet.2.4, Lyd.Mens.4.158 (Pass.), Sch.T Il.14.296. Henry George Liddell. Robert Scott. A Greek-English Lexicon. revised and augmented throughout by. Sir Henry Stuart Jones. with the assistance of. Roderick McKenzie. Oxford. Clarendon Press. 1940.
10. ^ Apollodorus of Athens, in Didymus’ Scholia on Homer; Plutarch Concerning rivers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,503 • Replies: 50
No top replies

TheJackal

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:47 pm
@TheJackal,
I forgot to add the verse from Peter 2:4

: 4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;

Now giving the NT is written in Greek, I am not surprised to find Greek Mythology about Tartarus finding its way into the Bible. Especially giving the Bible is essentially a collection of Pagan mythology usurped into what is Pagan Monotheism. I know that not all Christian denominations uphold the bible, but I would like to know why this made it into the NT concerning being sent to "Hell", or "Hades".. Tartarus was not only a GOD, but the place of the underworld in which the Titans were sent.. A place that ended up being also associated to Mt Etna, a volcano. This brings questions about references to being cast into the ever lasting fire, or lake of fire in the NT.

However this question isn't meant to jab at the bible, it is but rather a question to see if anyone knows or has citation as to how this made it into the NT scripture.

Thanks
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 09:21 am
An intriguing subject my friend

The origin of Tartarus dates back to long before the Greeks. Note the Septaguint (LXX) was the Hebrew scriptures translated into Greek, and Paul would likely have been taught from,

In Job 40:15 (40:20, LXX) it says of the Behemoth:
Quote:
“And when he has gone up to a steep mountain, he causes joy to the quadrupeds in the deep (ἐν τῷ ταρτάρῳ, which is translated “in the tartarus”).”
In Job 41:31, 32 (41:23, 24, LXX) it says of Leviathan:
Quote:
“He makes the deep boil like a brazen caldron; and he regards the sea as a pot of ointment, and the lowest part of the deep (τὸν δὲ τάρταρον τῆς ἀβύσσου again translated as “the tartarus of the abyss”) as a captive: he reckons the deep as his range.”
The use of tar′ta·ros in these verses in LXX appears to suggest that it referred to the deepest point of the abyss.

The story goes that the angels that rebelled against God were held there in confinement for the day of judgement, the natural evolution of the story is what results in the Greek mythological view of Tartarus that we know today. Pauls use of Tartaroo was accurate according to the rendering of early texts and is not exclusive to Greek mythology.

I hope that helps
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 10:27 am
@TheJackal,
The Bible is most assuredly NOT pure monotheism. How anyone can get the idea that it is from reading the text is beyond me.

TheJackal

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 04:15 pm
@Smileyrius,
Thank you, very interesting indeed as I didn't realize it dates back before the Greeks.
0 Replies

TheJackal

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:03 pm
@Smileyrius,
I have to ask if you have an academic citation / link for Tartarus dating before the Greeks as the earliest I can find is around 700 BC, well before the NT.

Online Etymology doesn't show a source prior to 700BC either, or widely use prior to Greek Mythology. But what is clear is that both the Greeks and those who wrote the bible had borrowed the concept of the underworld from much older religious and cultural beliefs. I know, for example, that the bible and the Greek mythologies are based largely in part on the Canaanite Pantheon.

Either way, the NT's usage is essentially in context the same we find in Greek Mythology. And it is notably that in the Bible, "Angels" were place cards, or replacements for other Pagan Deities...., usually associated to the Canaanite Pantheon.
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
There are gods. And there is Jehovah.

Some folks elevate humans to god like status

BTW, Frank, that was one fantastic catch by Odell Beckham. And curses on that scoundrel Romo for ruining the day.

See what I mean?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:55 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

There are gods. And there is Jehovah.

The Bible is most assuredly NOT pure monotheism.

Quote:
Some folks elevate humans to god like status

Perhaps.

Quote:
BTW, Frank, that was one fantastic catch by Odell Beckham.

Certainly one of the best I've ever seen...although it truly looked as though he pushed off before the catch. I was knee-deep into a poker tournament, so my viewing was sporadic.
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You mean your attention to the Jints is divided?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 12:27 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You mean your attention to the Jints is divided?

WAS divided...last night.

I had won a $200 ticket to play in a 50K tournament...and really did not want to put it off. So I played last night.

Made it to the final table...and won $1250...but the first hand was dealt at 5:00 pm...and I was knocked out at about 12:40...over 7 1/2 hours later.

Hard grind for an old codger like moi, but it was fun.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 07:37 pm
@TheJackal,
Quote:
the earliest I can find is around 700 BC, well before the NT

You need to research the story, rather than the etymology, and therein you will find the roots. In bible texts, you would be looking at the beginning of Genesis 6, but it is expanded on in other writings. with this in mind, the tale would likely be dated to some time before 2300 BC.
Interestingly in scripture, Canaan, the son of Noah was the patriarch of the Canaanites, so it is no surprise that a version of these tales were borrowed along that lineage. But that's just the biblical perspective.
Citations are not far from you if you know where to look. If you still can't find them, I would be happy to help you out.
TheJackal

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:16 pm
@Smileyrius,
The story and context of the underworld predate both Greek mythology and the bible.. That's really not what I an questioning here, it is but rather that the term used is specifically "Greek" in which predates Job or any of the NT. The use of the term may be perhaps due to that Tartarus was seen as the same place, or the best term in Greek for which is essentially the same concept. The etymology thus shows the term predating the NT.. However, I think Arron Ra did a pretty good job of outlining where this concept of the Underworld comes from.

The Evolution of Genesis
See time: 22:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLviKiEuj30

A video that goes on discussion about the Mesopotamian goddess of the underworld . Regardless, I was looking more into how and why Tartaroo was used in the NT, and as for the story, I am going to have to do more reading as it's quite interesting indeed. Smile

Cheeers
TheJackal

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:25 pm
@neologist,
This really is irrelevant, and Jehovah is an improper name... This is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with the question I am asking here. If I wanted to tackle Yahweh, I would tell you that we know Yahweh was one of the 70 sons of EL, he to whom gets equated to EL. It's still Canaanite mythology regardless of how one cuts it, and with the origin of Yahweh likely stemming from the semi-nomadic tribes of the shasu of YHW sometime after 1560 BC. There is culturally no difference between the Israelites and the Canaanites, largely rooted in moon and mountain god worship. But as stated before, this is really off-topic.

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:51 am
@TheJackal,
You're welcome Jack,

Essentially, the concept of a holding place or a "deep abyss" for fallen angels was not exclusively Greek. The Greeks merely called it "Tartarus" which was just as understood by the Jews, a deep abyss, "the fallen angels were penned as "Titans" and the purpose of their being held there was as a prison until their judgement. The base stories were synonymous and had the same root event. The only differences stem from different cultures interpretations of the event, which the Greeks developed through creative mediums such as paintings and poetry.
In Short, as Peter spoke Greek, his use of the term was familiar in his locality and he had no need to clarify his meaning.

Regardless, I understand we both bring with us each one our preconceived bias, which would have us each one interpreting our data according to our world view. I have enjoyed your subject, it gives me a good excuse to sharpen the old brainwaves. I wish you well in your academic exercises my friend.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 11:27 am
@TheJackal,
I wasn't talking about Jehovah, sometimes being referred to as 'elohim', a generic term applied to many gods and any god, including Satan. I was referring to יהוה, meaning "He who causes to become", the name applied to the true God thousands of times in the Hebrew scriptures, the name Jesus used, and the name Jesus referred to in the "Lord's Prayer"

So once again, there are many gods, but only one God.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 02:18 pm
@TheJackal,
How is Tartarus incongruent with monotheism?
neologist

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 03:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
How is Tartarus incongruent with monotheism?
Exactly
0 Replies

TheJackal

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 09:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
I don't think I made a claim to that, this is rather exploring whether or not the use of the term is being based on Greek mythology, and why the term was used in the NT. Though it may be argued here that the concept and it's origin is more important than that of the word used.. And in that case, it is unlikely the concept had originated in monotheism as the earliest monotheism is noted to be dated stems from the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt.. For what we know of, monotheism evolved out of polytheism.
0 Replies

TheJackal

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 10:08 pm
@neologist,
Elohim is more of a tittle than a name.., and is often used in generic form among Mesenotopian cultures..., more specifically among the Hittites, Canaanites, and Amuurites. However, El, also often inferred as "Generic" is based on apologetic arguments rather than academic since "EL" was a family pantheon structure to where el was more specifically used in conjunction with EL and the 70 sons of EL. In that time period they would not have used the term generically. Hence as we know, for example, the Psalms in the academic arena are most certainly the Hymns of the Canaanite God head EL, also known as EL Shaddai. Yahweh was equated to EL as in reality Yahweh was in fact just one of the 70 sons.., this which is pretty clearly noted in the Psalms. And btw, This vocalization (jehovah) has been transliterated as "Yehowah", while YHWH itself has been transliterated as "Yahweh".יְהֹוָה appears 6,518 times in the traditional Masoretic Text according to the Wiki and the below citations .

Citations:
OD, NAMES OF - 5. Yahweh (Yahweh) - Bible Study Tools.
Preface to the New American Standard Bible

Further still, Yahweh is more closely related to meaning "Ever Flowing"... Hence, Yahweh is closely related to the old Sanskrit word Yahveh, meaning ‘ever flowing’.
* http://www.scribd.com/doc/99250636/Bible-Myths-and-Their-Parallels-in-Other-Religions-Being-a-Comparison-of-the-Old-and-New-Testament-Myths-and-Miracles-With-Those-of-Heathen-Nations-o
* http://www.oldict.com/yahvat/
yahvat 2[ yahv’at ] mf ( [ ‘atI ] ) n. ever-flowing ( waters ) cf. RV.
Related words: yahva Yahve Yahveh
Related Yahva:
http://www.oldict.com/yahva/
2[ yahv’a ] mf ( [ ‘I ] ) n. restless , swift , active ( applied to
Agni , Indra and Soma ) cf. RV.
—> continually moving or flowing ( applied to the waters ) cf. ib. (
= [ mahat ] cf. Sāy. )

In Mesopotamian cultures, moon and mountain god worship were the most prevalent and influential, and the Mountains were often seen as the abodes of their God's, the givers of water and the creators of their world. El was a mountain god, and EL Shaddai a Moon Mountain god, two sides of the same god. More specifically, and likely a volcano deity, an ever flowing deity with the voice of thunder and rushing waters.

To summarize.. Abraham came from the city of Ur, an epicenter of of the worship of the moon god Sin, a deity closely related if not the same deity you know as El Shaddai. A connection through the name Amurru.. Hence when Abraham came to the city of Shaddai, he customarily took up El Shaddai as his Elohim... El Shaddai "God of the Mountains", and "he who dwells on his shining mountain".. More interesting than this is that the Hyksos who were evicted from Egypt around 1560 BC were of Syrian and Canaanite origin, foreign rulers of Egypt. The interesting part isn't this, but rather than their Asiatic deity in which they associated to the Egyptian Storm God Seth was Ba'al Har'ran .., The moon god SIN.. And as far was we know, the Hyksos are the only possible people in which could be tied to the narrative of Exodus.. Hence it's not much a surprise that Mt. Sinai means "Moon Mountain" in association to the Moon God Sin. Thus the probability of the Hyksos rulers leaving Egypt and having joined with the semi-nomadic tribes of Canaan, among them the Shasu of YHW, is a real possibility. Thus treating their eviction as being not a military loss of control of Egypt, but rather their leading to the promise land, their homeland of a collapsed Canaanite civilization. This of course meaning that Exodus isn't factual in detail, but rather propaganda, an exaggeration of their story, their eviction, and loss of power in Egypt. And thus the birth of Yahwism sometime after 1560 BC that interestingly is linked to Lower Canaan among the semi-nomadic tribes of the Shasu..
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 05:24 pm
@TheJackal,
TheJackal wrote:
Hence as we know, for example, the Psalms in the academic arena are most certainly the Hymns of the Canaanite God head EL, also known as EL Shaddai. Yahweh was equated to EL as in reality Yahweh was in fact just one of the 70 sons.., this which is pretty clearly noted in the Psalms.
Citations from the Psalms would be appropriate here. Also, proof of you assertion that any Psalms are or were devoted to a Canaanite god.

Additionally:
Jehovah: the causative form, the imperfect stae, of Heb. ha'wah (become): meaning "he causes to become"; essentially, a name which can be shared with no other. His name is a gaurantee that his promise and commission given to Adam and Eve cannot be erased. So Jesus' words that the "meek will inherit the earth" are a certainty.