I'm a kid with depression help

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:38 am
Hi my name is Zack I'm 16 and I've had depression, GAD, panic attacks since 7th grade and it's only getting worse I take medicine but it doesn't work. Me and my parents don't know what to do anymore. I'm to the point where I'm pissed at everything and just want to fuckin die. I don't know what I should do to help. My therapist sucks so we dropped her. What help can I get?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,179 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:43 am
@Zack weldon,
I''m really sorry this is happening.

Have you tried other therapists? They are definitely not all the same. Have you tried your regular pediatrician, too? While this is a psychiatric issue, there may be things going on with your diet, the amount of exercise you get, etc., which might be of some help to you. Hang in there, Zack. I realize it's horribly frustrating but it is not easy to get the right cocktail of medications and, even then, it can often be a while before it begins to really work properly.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:22 pm
@Zack weldon,
Zack hang in there, a whole passel of different factors contribute to depression. Even a shortage or overabundance of certain blood fractions not ordinarily recognized as risky can be disastrously depressing

So experiment
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 01:56 pm
@Zack weldon,
Hey there Zack I gather your therapist made you feel like a number and I'm sorry for that but as advised, don't give up, find someone who can help, there out there.

Psychotherapy can work for a lot of people hang in there.

Might sound strange but why not consult a Chinese Doctor and discuss meditation which eases the mind from thinking and can continue to do so by daily meditation.

0 Replies

victorcarjan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:35 pm
@Zack weldon,
Okay; You've taken the standard approach, and it's not working. How about we try a new approach?

First, you're brave to come on here and be so honest about yourself, this means you must be in a Zen state of mind where fears and other mundane thoughts have been deleted by your kick ass attitude. I like it.

Depression: Did this get diagnosed before or after your Panic Attacks?

Panic Attacks: What's a most recent example of what happened? I have a feeling that you may not even need medication. Your being pissed off at everything is a thorn growing off a vine of GAD. We get rid of the vines, we get rid of the thorns as well.

About me: I'm not a psychologist, but I Aced both my psychology courses in College and studied a bit on my own.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:49 pm
@Zack weldon,
Two things:

1) always apply the standard rule of success in life..." if what you are doing is not working then do something else, anything else if need be".

2) Thomas Moore (care of the soul) has an interesting theory that sounds right to me...he says that we should not look at depression as a ailment, because what it is is a natural part of the human condition. Not a fun one of course. What depression is according to him is a sign that your soul has work to do. What you should not do is pop pills and try to get rid of it as fast as possible, what you should do is delve into you, work on you. Obviously if you are suicidal then drugs to keep you from killing yourself are needed, but otherwise dont rush into them, and dont expect a cure from a pill.

Disclaimer: I have never suffered from depression, though I have spent a lot of time on myself and studied the concept of the soul extensively. Thomas Moore gets no respect in the business but that is to be expected when he flat out says that 90% of what they do, pushing pills, is a bad idea.
0 Replies

SheriAniston

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 03:04 am
@Zack weldon,
If you've tried almost all medications and nothing happened, I suggest you go for a natural treatment. Acupuncture is proven to help people with depression, being a safe and promising therapeutic option. The therapist will insert needles in the target points to help treat the imbalances in organs.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 05:13 pm
@Zack weldon,
You need a new doctor and a new therapist, also read all you can about what you think you have on the internet, as you can be your own best friend if you educate yourself correctly. If you think you need a new medicine and the one you took didn't work, then bring the bottle to the doctor and throw it at them, if you do not get a new medication pronto you know that you need a new doctor. Also be aware that shrinks routinely prescribe sugar pills to patients, and that these sometimes help, you need real help though.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 05:30 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
DNA Thumbs drive wrote:

Also be aware that shrinks routinely prescribe sugar pills to patients

What?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:04 pm
@Kolyo,
Google it.

THURSDAY, Oct. 23 (HealthDay News) -- American doctors regularly prescribe placebo pills that are intended to have a psychological effect, a new survey finds.

However, the placebos reported by the 679 physicians in the survey often aren't the inactive substances used in controlled clinical trials, said Dr. Farr A. Curlin, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Chicago, and a member of the team reporting the finding in the Oct. 24 issue of the BMJ.

"Most people when they say 'placebo' think of something like a sugar pill," Curlin said. "But doctors can use a treatment that may have some effects but that they think will not have a direct effect on the patient except by the placebo effect."

The placebo effect, well-established in countless studies, is a benefit produced by assuring someone that whatever is being given will benefit whatever the problem happens to be -- "optimism or confidence that something is being done," as Curlin phrased it.

Only 3 percent of the doctors responding in the survey reported prescribing sugar pills. But 41 percent said they used over-the-counter painkillers as placebos, 38 percent used vitamins, 13 percent used antibiotics, and 13 percent used sedatives.

The survey also found that only 5 percent of the doctors who prescribe a placebo treatment describe it as such. The great majority, 68 percent, describe it as a potentially beneficial medicine or treatment not typically used for the condition.

And almost two-thirds of the doctors in the survey said they believed the practice to be ethically permissible.

"It's a gray zone," Curlin said. "It is not ethical to actively deceive patients. But when doctors give something which they think will help but don't think it helpful to explain the full reasoning about why it will help, that's a gray zone."

Placebo treatment "is pretty common in the practice of medicine," said Curlin, who acknowledged using it. "I give people the information I think a reasonable person would want to know, trying to be as candid as possible," he said. "There are times when I have said, 'Yes, I think it might be helpful, why don't you give it a try,' when I don't have confidence it will help their condition."

What matters is that the treatment can help, Curlin added. "The placebo effect is a real effect," he said. "People do feel better. To the extent that it can be mobilized in a way that is restful and not actively deceiving patients, I think it is acceptable."

Placebo treatment "is part of an old but good medical tradition," said Dr. David Spiegel, an assistant chair of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Stanford University. "The basic rule is: First, do no harm. If there is no toxicity, and it does some good, evidence supports its use," Spiegel said.

But straightforward lying about a prescription is wrong, said Dr. Andrew Leuchter, associate dean of the school of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"The cornerstone of what treatment is acceptable is full disclosure for the patient," Leuchter said. "If you explain to the patient what you are doing, and why you are doing it, that is right. If you mislead a patient, there is a serious problem with that."

The appropriate way to explain a placebo treatment, Leuchter added, is to say, "There is no reasonable medical evidence that this pill is effective for your condition, but some people who take this pill say it makes them feel better."

It is important to note that "deception is not a necessary part of the placebo effect," Spiegel said. "You can tell people that the treatment might benefit them, and that is not a lie."

And the placebo effect is often at work in medical practice, Spiegel noted. "A lot of factors go into the effect of therapy, some of which are specifically pharmaceutical, and some are not. You might feel better, because you feel you are doing something actively to treat the problem."

The argument about the ethics of placebo treatment can also be turned around, he added. "There are ways to present placebo treatment that do not involve deception," he said. "You are doing it because it can help a patient, and a certain percentage of patients will respond. Especially in conditions where we do not have a lot of treatments, is it ethical to withhold it?"
0 Replies