cicerone imposter wrote:

How is that pronounced in English?

MAHK-gull-lee.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 07:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Here's an example of the difference between an alcoholic and the merely heavy drinker: Both men have a very important job interview coming up. The heavy drinker decides to stay sober for a couple of days preceding the interview because he wants to be hangover-free and his best and most alert. The alcoholic can't imagine facing an interview like that without a couple of stiff shots to bolster his courage first.

I'd never drink before doing anything important no matter how nervous I was. How about someone who never drinks enough to have a hangover? As soon as I get sleepy, I'm off to bed. That's way before hangover-inducing level.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 03:49 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Soju is the evening drink. 막걸리 is the daytime one. Clear distinction there.

I think some are confusing use with abuse...big difference there.
FBM

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:02 am
@Germlat,
Yep. That's the line I'm trying to identify more clearly. Seems that the current criteria are pretty fuzzy.
Germlat

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:04 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Yep. That's the line I'm trying to identify more clearly. Seems that the current criteria are pretty fuzzy.

Yep...an all or nothing theme going on....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 09:50 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Of course the criteria is fuzzy. They is no set in stone millimeter you cross over can be mutually agreed upon.

I'll tell you right now honey, you are not a heavy drinker, and don't have a problem.

For purposes of this thread, instead of using terms like alcoholic, heavy drinker, binge drinker, etc. I'm just going to use the words "problem drinker"

If it causes problems in your life, regardless of whether you personally think it does, then there is almost definately a problem.

From what you say, you don't appear to have one.

For those regular people out there who say "I just don't understand how...." Well of course you don't understand.

Same as for people who say "I just don't understand how....you don't believe in God, you don't want children, you don't like (fill in the blank), you don't want to get married, you're gay, etc.

That not understanding goes from one extreme of having no interest in understanding, to the other extreme of really having made the huge effort and research, and it still eludes you.

Not saying you can't make a very good educated guess/decision about something, but it's not an exact science.

0 Replies

JBKSeattle

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 05:46 pm
@FBM,
I'm willing to bet that the energy and enthusiasm shown by the time of day of your posting that alcohols influence was your inspiration for the post. Denial is not a river in Africa, it's the inability to see this addiction in yourself. The most credible evidence of your ability to live without it is to just not have any for a year.
If you don't miss it, or notice any inability without it, 'POOF' There's your proof that you are indeed NOT an alcoholic.
It is damaging to your body's filtration system, notably the liver, but most damage done to the user from alcohol is done to the loved ones around him or her.
Ask them!
roger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 05:49 pm
@JBKSeattle,
You are basing this on posting times? It might be enlightening to learn that FMB lives in South Korea.

One man's denial is another man's statement of fact. They are not the same.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
@JBKSeattle,
JBKSeattle wrote:

I'm willing to bet that the energy and enthusiasm shown by the time of day of your posting that alcohols influence was your inspiration for the post. Denial is not a river in Africa, it's the inability to see this addiction in yourself. The most credible evidence of your ability to live without it is to just not have any for a year.
If you don't miss it, or notice any inability without it, 'POOF' There's your proof that you are indeed NOT an alcoholic.
It is damaging to your body's filtration system, notably the liver, but most damage done to the user from alcohol is done to the loved ones around him or her.
Ask them!

Not sure when you think I'm posting, but Roger's right. Consider my time zone. As for my "energy and enthusiasm," it comes from a genuine curiosity to solve this puzzle. I drink more than the doctors say is good for a man, but not so much that it has any discernible effect on my health, relationships, mental acuity or daily life.

As for going a year without drinking, I did that several years ago. Didn't go through any withdrawals or have any other apparent physical reaction. The only thing was that my insomnia went unabated and I was constantly on the verge of sleep deprivations.

Finally, nobody around me is complaining about any of my behavior, alcohol-related or not. To the contrary, I get the highest bi-annual performance evaluations among my peers in my department and have a network of close friends, none of whom have ever brought up the topic of how much I drink. Again, I don't get drunk. I have a few drinks pretty much every evening until I get sleepy enough to go to bed without rolling around for 2~3 hours.

This may become a moot thread soon, anyway, if the L-tryptophan and other things suggested above work the way I hope they do. I haven't been able to find any of it locally, so I guess I'll have to order it online.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 03:41 am
L-tryptophan is available in a wide variety of foods, especially in meat sources. I am skeptical about it as a specific against insomnia, but in any event, here's a link to Wikipedia's article on it, specifically the dietary sources.
FBM

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 03:52 am
@Setanta,
Gracias, Set. Yeah, I saw that before. I ordered some online today, along with ZMA. Both are said to help with sleep, so maybe if I do both I can return to better sleeping patterns. I consider it an experiment, not a foregone conclusion. If anybody's interested, I'll post about my experience with them after they get here.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 07:34 am
@FBM,
Sure. It could be good info for someone.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 07:48 am
Oh, right. So anyway, the l-tryptophan and ZMA got here a week or so ago. So I arbitrarily started with the ZMA and thought that it helped me get sleepy earlier. Less alcohol needed, which was nice. Then I switched to the l-tryptophan and got similar results for a few nights. Tonight, I took both about an hour apart and pretty early, about 1 1/2 hours ago. With the occasional sip of soju while waiting, but roughly half of average. It's just after 10:30 p.m. and I'm done. Can hardly keep my eyes open. Of course, a single anecdote doesn't count for much. Tomorrow night, I'll try it without any soju at all. Looking forward to it. Anyhoo, that's the way it is tonight. http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/11_zpsc3a21505.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 08:53 am
Best of luck on finding something that works for you, FBM. From what I've read here it sounds more like you were self-medicating with alcohol rather than abusing alcohol. There are numerous substances that people use to self-medicate without abusing them. There are folks with GI issues who self-medicate with pot daily in order to tolerate the thought of eating. There are people with chronic pain issues who self-medicate with alcohol or various over and under the counter substances. There are people with sleep issues (like you) who find a way to sleep with or without prescription sleep aids.

It sounds like you're concerned about your solution of choice being a problem. That concern alone makes it a problem for you. I hope the l-tryptiphan and other supplement are a good alternative for you.
FBM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 06:12 pm
@JPB,
Gracias, JPB. Your assessment seems right to me. Judging from what others with personal experience say about being a real alcoholic, I'm not even in that ballpark. The l-tryptophan/ZMA combo is looking promising so far. It'll take time to know for sure, though.
0 Replies