Obama's executive actions on immigration

dalehileman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 11:37 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This tightrope is going to be fun to watch
Indeed Max. While its const'l'ty is open and debatable I'm delighted he's challenging the stuffy old GOP

Sit back and enjoy a beer with me and my ilk while the rest stumble about knocking over their wine bottles in desperation
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
While its const'l'ty is open and debatable I'm delighted he's challenging over 200 years of precedence in American national governance

FIXED

How are you going to like it when R's POTUS chair inhabitants start redirecting the government with the stroke of their pen? Not very well I bet. The problem with D's is that they are always about now, getting what they want now, they seem to be incapable of thinking strategically or of comprehending the likely long term consequences of their actions.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quite the contrary Hawkeye. The Democrats know they can beat someone like Ted Cruz. The would much rather face Cruz than someone like Jeb Bush.

This makes it much less likely that a viable candidate, like Bush, will get past the Republican primary. Every candidate is going to have to say whether they will continue this executive order. The candidates who give the right answer needed in the Republican primary are going to get stomped in the general election.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
So-called conservatives: Hatred for and fear of dark skin folks. Any act by the president, anything that may benefit the dark of skin, is met with absolute fury. I have long said that the more you give in to them, the more they will consolidate any gains and go after more, until they have it all and liberals are non existent. They already have most of big business, the government and the press. While you still can vote and speak, liberals (progressives, if you prefer), you better stop being reasonable now.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The Democrats know they can beat someone like Ted Cruz.

Because of Obola Americans are used to extremes,you know, like the EO. I wouldn't count Cruz out.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The candidates who give the right answer needed in the Republican primary are going to get stomped in the general election.

You best take a look at the polling date on both where Americans stand on immigration and also where immigration sits on our priority list when we cast a ballot.

You talk like someone who has inhaled too many D press releases and has not idea about what reality in America is. A common D problem by they way. The arrogance and incompetence is one of the main things that turn the people off on the D's.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Obama promised in both campaigns that he would legalize illegal immigrants. He won both times. George W. Bush before him said he wanted to legalize illegal immigrants, he also won. And before him, Clinton said he wanted to legalize illegal immigrants. He won twice.

Romney and McCain were both anti-immigrant and both lost. Actually McCain is a perfect example of what I am talking about. McCain used to be in favor of a pathway to citizenship. He had to abandon that to get past the Republican primary, but by the time he made it through the primary he was so far gone he couldn't find his way back. And Obama kicked his butt handily with a pro-immigrant platform.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
Oddly, there are members of congress who seem to support this executive legislation. I'm guessing their support depends on who is president, and what the issue happens to be.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:06 pm
@roger,
Why is that odd? Over 40% of Americans support Obama's action. And a strong majority of Americans support the idea (if not the means).

There are probably Republican members of Congress who deep down support Obama's action although politics won't let them say so. Most Democrats are strongly in favor.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:16 pm
@maxdancona,
I would think the separation of powers concept would be more important than a single issue. I guess "the voters have a short memory" is the guiding concept.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:17 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
. And a strong majority of Americans support the idea (if not the means).

I imagine that's true.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:23 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I imagine that's true.

Says very little about their character.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
How are you going to like it when R's POTUS chair inhabitants start redirecting the government with the stroke of their pen? Not very well I bet.

Presuming of course that the courts don't stomp all over this.

hawkeye10 wrote:
The problem with D's is that they are always about now, getting what they want now, they seem to be incapable of thinking strategically or of comprehending the likely long term consequences of their actions.

Yep.
oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Quite the contrary Hawkeye. The Democrats know they can beat someone like Ted Cruz. The would much rather face Cruz than someone like Jeb Bush.

You've lost the ability to distinguish your daydreams from reality.

Either of those two Republican candidates will easily win the 2016 election.

maxdancona wrote:
This makes it much less likely that a viable candidate, like Bush, will get past the Republican primary. Every candidate is going to have to say whether they will continue this executive order. The candidates who give the right answer needed in the Republican primary are going to get stomped in the general election.

No Republican will ever have any reluctance to opposing this executive order.

No Republican will ever face any penalty for opposing this executive order.
oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
So-called conservatives: Hatred for and fear of dark skin folks. Any act by the president, anything that may benefit the dark of skin, is met with absolute fury.

What is it about you extremists that you always falsely accuse anyone who disagrees with your extremism of racism?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Presuming of course that the courts don't stomp all over this.

SCOTUS is a political organization, not a court of law. Expecting them to preserve Constitutional law and order is unrealistic, they have neither the skills nor the inclination to do that.
oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:42 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There are probably Republican members of Congress who deep down support Obama's action although politics won't let them say so. Most Democrats are strongly in favor.

The moderates of both parties are horrified.

Republican extremists are probably happy though, when they see how badly you Left-wing extremists have stomped on the moderates who would have stood in their way.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
SCOTUS is a political organization, not a court of law. Expecting them to preserve Constitutional law and order is unrealistic, they have neither the skills nor the inclination to do that.

I think they have both the skills and the inclination.

However, I don't have a good feel for whether this executive order is actually unconstitutional or not.

I am confident that the courts (at least the higher level courts) will provide solid and persuasive arguments to back their eventual ruling, whatever it happens to be.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 05:06 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No Republican will ever have any reluctance to opposing this executive order.

No Republican will ever face any penalty for opposing this executive order.

You have a point there. President Romney's opposition to immigration reform, particularly his comment about "self-deportation", is one of the reasons he won the election. His opponent, Obama, promised he would legalize immigrants. That's why he was a one term president.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 05:10 pm
@oralloy,
Wow, that surprises. You are usually more on top of things. I have no respect for this court. During my lifetime they have rarely stood on my side. Were were they when the holders of capital set out to systematically corrupt this government and often science too? Were were they sent the cops were setting up roadblocks and as they go about their day taking any money or stuff they find laying around that they think is connected to illegal drugs? Where were they when my employer decided he had the right to drug test me and monitor my communications gear 27/7 and then fire me for legal things I like to do on my own time?

Where the **** were these assholes when my Constitution rights were being squeezed out by people who want to control and exploit me?

****. THEM.
0 Replies