What do you think of Barbara Streisand?

jespah

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
Rhiannon wrote:
...Jews here: enjoy your self-hatred; Gentiles: bask in your delusions.

Uh, no, I certainly don't find myself to be delusional.

This is a very large site. Judging it on the basis of one topic is, well, not delusional but certainly the use of a less than adequate sample size, nu?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
I think you're supposed to hate yourself and I'm suppose to be delusional -- I think we've just been visited by Zell Miller.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:37 pm
From all I've read about her, Barbra is a bitch on wheels. Not a pleasant personality. But that doesn't detract from the fact that, for me, she's an extraordinarily good singer and a fine actress. Or used to be, at least. Dunno what, if anything, she's done lately. And what's her politics got to do with it? I despised John Wayne's politics but enjoyed some of his movies, particularly the old westerns. I didn't care much for Jane Fonda's politics either, but couldn't deny that she was a very fine actress.

And, as others have already said, she doesn't flaunt her Jewishness but doesn't hide it either. That's all to the good in my book.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:04 pm
When my daughter was an au pair in France, I joined her there for a vacation. The film shown on the to-France flight was Streisand's thing about the Mirror. I wouldn't have tried to watch it, but my seat mate, a really nice young Jewish woman from South America, was a big fan of Streisand and watched the movie. I thought I'd try it. Fortunately for me, my head set didn't work and I couldn't focus the screen.

The to-home flight featured the film Michael with John Trevolta. I spent most of that flight talking with a man . . . who worked for the govt and ran the embargo against Iraq (!). When we flew through some turbulance, the captain sent us to our seats. Since the movie was in progress, I made no attempt to watch it, although I peered at the screens nearest to me.

I was struck by how natural the actors' movements in Michael were as opposed to the stiffness of the cast of Mirror. I don't know who directed the Travolta film but he is better than Streisand, which may be the reason she has stopped helming films.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:29 pm
Didn't particularly care of "The Mirror Has Two Faces" but wouldn't dream of reviewing it when I couldn't see it or hear it. Ditto "Michael" which was a two star movie with some really mediocre performances.

As to Travolta, you are hereby condemned to watch "Battlefield Earth" one hundred times.
0 Replies