Someone could make these words more clearer for me ?

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:23 pm
By a long-standing tradition, Muslims alone have the right to pray at the site although people of other faiths may visit.

The issue is of such sensitivity that even when Israel captured the Old City of Jerusalem during the war of 1967 it handed control of the compound back to an Islamic religious authority which continues to administer it to this day.

So. I understand all the words, but I feel confused from " it hand control of the compound back to Islamic religious authority which continues to administer it to this day ". It means the Israel has compromised with an Islamic religious authority with using the site ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 651 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:49 pm
@Arafat ,
Take it for what it's worth; the Jews are taking over much of Jerusalem with illegal settlements.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 01:54 pm
The issue is very sensitive.
Israel captured the Old city of J. during the war of 1967.
Israel handed control of the city back to the Islamic authority.
That Islamic authortty oversees (controls, runs) the compound today.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:40 pm
@PUNKEY,

From Wiki.
Quote:
Today, the status of Jerusalem remains one of the core issues in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict. During the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, West Jerusalem was among the areas captured and later annexed by Israel while East Jerusalem, including the Old City, was captured and later annexed by Jordan. Israel captured East Jerusalem from Jordan during the 1967 Six-Day War and subsequently annexed it. Israel's 1980 Basic Law the Jerusalem Law refers to Jerusalem as the country's undivided capital. The international community rejected the annexation as illegal and treats East Jerusalem as Palestinian territory occupied by Israel.[19][20][21][22] The international community does not recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital, and the city hosts no foreign embassies.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
And it's either clearer, or more clear.

Never more clearer.
timur

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 03:06 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It was bothering me but what bothers me more is the way the article is written.

It misleads the reader in thinking that all the Old City of Jerusalem is managed by Muslims, which it is not.

Only the compound of the Temple Mount is..
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:16 pm
@timur,
Punkey wrote,
Quote:
Israel handed control of the city back to the Islamic authority.

I do not believe he knows what he's talking about.
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:20 pm
After all your answers , i have begun feeling quite doubt to the knowleadge of writter from BBC NEWS......
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 11:18 am
Arafat
I thought you did not understand the sentence structures and wanted to know what they meant. ('Could someone make these words more clear to me?") I thought you did not understand the grammar.

I did not know you wanted to know if the sentences were accurate or factual.

After this, ask the correct question . You either want to know the meaning of the sentences or if the writer is accurate in the subject matter.
Arafat

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:35 pm
@PUNKEY,
The first one you have mentioned is the thing i want to know ..the meaning of the sentences .
0 Replies