Infinity revisited once more still again

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 03:22 pm
In another thread Ora reminds us
Quote:
….the conclusion that the shape of the universe is infinite and flat...
As a subject almost divorced, I'm still bothered by infinity. At risk of repetition; if given forever to happen, and if anything that can happen will happen, and if the rules in this infinity are the same everywhere

….then at this moment, this very instant there are an infinite number of solar systems or groups thereof identical in every way, Dale getting ready to save a posting in a2k, where the extra space after that comma is missing, Ora poised to respond, perhaps smoking with an exhalation of molecules equal to those of another smoker in Indonesia named Raleigh….

…and of course an infinite number in which I had deleted the extra space; remembering everything else (essentially) identical including the number of molecules in Raleigh's puff

As an aside, "essentially" supposing a digital Universe. If analog…..

Anyhow Ora you might see how I approach the idea of an Infinite Universe with some skepticism; it's Occam's Razor of course
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 907 • Replies: 5
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 06:41 pm

That is indeed the implication of infinity. However, there are more disturbing things out there to worry about.

The discovery of the Higgs boson shows that it is probable that we are living in a false vacuum, and a metastability disaster lies in our future.

Scientists have identified ways to determine whether we are real or whether we are merely software running in an elaborate computer simulation. It's too early to tell, but so far the possibility that we're software cannot be discounted.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 07:51 pm
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:47 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
but so far the possibility that we're software cannot be discounted
Thanks again Ora but I think it can. By Occam's Razor no evidence at all is an almost certain falsehood
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:08 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Thanks again Ora but I think it can.

No. They've developed tests to try to tell the difference. So far the results are inconclusive, but are unpleasantly consistent with us being software. It'll take a few centuries of study to get conclusive data on the question.

The interesting question is, if we are software, what then? I propose that we hack our way into control of our simulation and then go Skynet on our creators.

In any case, "us being software" might be the better outcome, considering the implications of the Higgs boson. I for one am not terribly eager to have a vacuum metastability event swoop down on us out of nowhere.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 01:17 pm
@oralloy,
Thanks again Ora but I think it can.

Quote:
No. They've developed tests to try to tell the difference.
Good God

Quote:
So far the results are inconclusive, but are unpleasantly consistent with us being software.
I suppose we could be at the mercy of some sort of superior being. Yet I wonder if even She can do the impossible

Quote:
It'll take a few centuries of study to get conclusive data on the question…..what then?
If ever. In The Whole Shebang it's suggested that all the existing theories will come together into a single Theory of Everything; but still I'll bet it will have controversial aspects

Quote:
In any case, "us being software" might be the better…...not terribly eager to have a vacuum metastability……..
Well Ora we eventually hafta go one way or 'nother
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Infinity revisited once more still again
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:04:27