Do we know what gravitation is?

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:50 pm
No! We have an equation that can be used. But I think nobody really knows whaty gravitation is, where it is coming from, what it is. why it functions as it does.

Anyway, we don't need gravitation to explain the universe! That is for sure!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,339 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 05:11 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Anyway, we don't need gravitation to explain the universe! That is for sure!
Im not so sure Que. In The Whole Shebang by Timothy Ferris by the sheerest coincidence I was reading last night, although "Attempts to write a fully unified supers9ymmetric theory incorporating gravitation….faltered….," nonetheless "Enter superstring theory…might be the way to a fully unified account….that one could not write a string theory without incorporating gravity"

But in answer to your q, gravity is kinda mysterious. Obviously it's a distortion of space, a curved region if you will. I had always thought of it as the matter itself creating the field by "shoving" space out of the way
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 01:50 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
m not so sure Que. In The Whole Shebang by Timothy Ferris by the sheerest coincidence I was reading last night, although "Attempts to write a fully unified supers9ymmetric theory incorporating gravitation….faltered….," nonetheless "Enter superstring theory…might be the way to a fully unified account….that one could not write a string theory without incorporating gravity"

But in answer to your q, gravity is kinda mysterious. Obviously it's a distortion of space, a curved region if you will. I had always thought of it as the matter itself creating the field by "shoving" space out of the way

To start with the last, gravity doesn't curve space at all! It is a physical impossibility by its own definition.
Furthermore , if you want, look into the subject of "The Electric Universe"
because that can explain things in the universe much better than gravity does.

And yes, gravity is mysterious because none seems to be able to figure out what it is.

First of all it can'tt be any power or force.

It also has an inverse relation with the speed of light.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:12 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
To start with the last, gravity doesn't curve space at all!

Quote:
If gravity is actually curved space and if falling objects are simply following the natural curves of space why does each object have its own curve?

This is a great question which goes to the heart of why Einstein said gravity is the curvature of space-time, rather than just the curvature of space.
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=649

I'm sure electricity and gravity will prove equally important in the eventual Theory of Everything
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 04:18 pm
@dalehileman,
What are you saying. I am only saying that space can't be 'curved' by its own definition.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 05:34 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Que all I know is what I read somewhere

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=space+is+curved
Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:35 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Que all I know is what I read somewhere

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=space+is+curved

Fair enough, so I know where you are coming from.
However being able to google it, doesn't make it true. Wink

Let's put some logic in this nonsense.

Eddigton and other did some experiment with an ecclips. and alledgedly this proved the 'curvature of space"

However, what they didn't tell you is that Eddington 'massaged' the date and
that there are other and better explanations for what happened.

So, alwasy dive under the surface of the stories, that can tell you a lot.
And using logic helps a lot too. If a theory predicts a cetrain outcome, and we get that outcome, doesn't mean the theory is right of course.
A mistake that is made a lot in what people used to call 'science'.

Furthermore, Einstein was a thief and a plagiarist, he has stolen his ideas from others!

But let's stick with 'curved space'.

Aside from the flawed and dishonest experiment, 'curved space' is an impossibility.

Just look at the definition of 'space' itself!
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:10 am
And a lot of this nonsense is based on mathematics. (tensor equations and what have you)

But mathematics is very unreliable at this point, especally differential equations and calculus!

(see my other thread about this topic that mathematic is very flawed)

So, you see, lots and lots and lots of problems with it!

0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 07:41 pm
Gravitation as a "force" still is the best explanation ever given. Observation in general backs up gravitation as a force.

On the other hand, the curved space and similar fiction garbage are solely ideas invented by a poor lunatic called Albert Einstein.

His theories have been proven false and survive thanks to the insistence of some dudes who can't accept that they were so idiots to believe in such fantasies, and also thanks to the pride of a certain ethnic group.

The Theory Everything is pushed by relativists, because their theory has been mixed with the rest to survive. You set apart relativity and do a public scrutiny on it confronting relativists, and everybody will find out that relativity is crap to the square.

The simplicity of Newton's definition of gravity works and is observable. If you don't agree with it, then show me your curved space.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 02:27 am
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
Gravitation as a "force" still is the best explanation ever given. Observation in general backs up gravitation as a force.

On the other hand, the curved space and similar fiction garbage are solely ideas invented by a poor lunatic called Albert Einstein.

His theories have been proven false and survive thanks to the insistence of some dudes who can't accept that they were so idiots to believe in such fantasies, and also thanks to the pride of a certain ethnic group.

The Theory Everything is pushed by relativists, because their theory has been mixed with the rest to survive. You set apart relativity and do a public scrutiny on it confronting relativists, and everybody will find out that relativity is crap to the square.

The simplicity of Newton's definition of gravity works and is observable. If you don't agree with it, then show me your curved space.

I agree 'curved space' ia nonsense! Of course it is! However,. I disagree gravitiy being a force. That is also not possible!

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:19 pm
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
curved space and similar fiction garbage
Carl I'd have to take your word for it. But it's always been my understanding that viewed from a distance, a traveler in a gravitational field would appear to be following a curve in spite of the travelers' instruments assuring him he's proceeding in a straight line

How've I been misled
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 01:23 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Carl I'd have to take your word for it. But it's always been my understanding that viewed from a distance, a traveler in a gravitational field would appear to be following a curve in spite of the travelers' instruments assuring him he's proceeding in a straight line

How've I been misled

Maybe he does,, maybe he doesn't! It isn't even proved yet!

But 'curved space' can't exist! anywhere!!!!

Doesn't exist! Nowhere!
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 04:35 pm
@dalehileman,
How is gravity a distortion of space? I have seen the speculation that gravity can be the cause of space distortion, however the distortion is not itself gravity.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 05:32 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Maybe he does,, maybe he doesn't! It isn't even proved yet!
Golly Que I remember many reports of telescopic sighting where the path of a free-falling object is seen to be slightly deflected as it passes a large body

Was I dreaming
dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 05:33 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
How is gravity a distortion of space?
DNA we seem to be getting into semantics
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 07:06 pm
@dalehileman,
Not at all, unless you are speculating that gravity and space are the same thing.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 01:18 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Golly Que I remember many reports of telescopic sighting where the path of a free-falling object is seen to be slightly deflected as it passes a large body

Was I dreaming

Yes, the light might be deflected. So???? I still stand behind what I wrote.
You left a lot out here.

But 'curved space' can't exist! Nowhere!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:52 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
Not at all, unless you are speculating that gravity and space are the same thing.
No, I imagine gravity a condition of space as the sneeze is a quality of the humanoid
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:56 am
@dalehileman,
Excellent answer, however it has little meaning, as the human mind has an almost unlimited power to imagine the unreal.

http://www.cuded.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Imaginary-Foundation_8600_466.jpg
dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 11:35 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
Excellent answer,
Why thanks DNA

Quote:
however it has little meaning,
Then maybe not exactly excellent

Quote:
as the human mind has an almost unlimited power to imagine the unreal.
Yes, almost. For instance it can't easily imagine the Universe expanding without visualizing in the mind's eye a void that doesn't exist

But thanks DNA for that beautiful illustration