"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:53 pm
...and the unctuous FOX slips in another violation of our basic rights.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
Finally!
F911 finally made it to my 1-cinema town in this corner of the world! I can't say it is a big hit here (but then again no film ever is here, the last sold out house we had was with the first Harry Potter film), I guess the Finnish public doesn't need convinving that the Bush administration is rotten.

I found the film less entertaining than Bowling for Columbine (partly due to the hype around F911, I was already aware of most of its contents), but as a vehicle aimed at toppling the sitting president I believe it is very well made and certainly deserving of the Palme d'Or.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:59 am
I don't find Bush's antics that entertaining -- I'd rather hear, for instance, Jon Stewart's twist on his gaffes. Some critics have lauded the film because it contains less Michael Moore! One doesn't have to agree with the film for it to be a powerful statement and there is a yet anything close to an equally powerful counter statement. Other than making up things to counter what is discerned as made up.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
Filmmakers turning into political operatives
October 20, 2004

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The vote is in: Political matters have become viable candidates on the big screen, with filmmakers and audiences roused by curiosity, patriotism or indignation to explore critical issues of the times.

Usually relegated to Sunday morning TV roundtables, current events and political content have become as commonplace in theaters as presidential wannabes in Iowa early in an election year.

Michael Moore's President Bush-bashing "Fahrenheit 9/11" has led the way, but dozens of other documentaries and a handful of dramatized films have arisen in the aftershocks of the 2000 election mess, the September 11 attacks and the U.S. war on terrorism.

Moviegoers have made mini-hits out of such theatrical releases as "Control Room," an examination of Arab TV network Al-Jazeera's coverage of the Iraq war, and "The Fog of War," Errol Morris' Academy Award-winning compendium of Robert S. McNamara's insights on modern history and combat.

Political documentaries such as "Unprecedented: The 2000 Presidential Election," "Uncovered: The War on Iraq" and "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism" have sold briskly on DVD.

"The voting public is energized," Moore said last summer, after "Fahrenheit 9/11" became the first documentary to top $100 million (euro80 million) at the domestic box office. "They are anxious to discuss politics, and I think since September 11, the American people have wanted to find out more of what's going on in the world."

Filmmakers and distributors have rushed in to satisfy that inquisitiveness.

Other issue-driven films newly released on film or DVD include "Horns and Halos," chronicling the saga of J.H. Hatfield's George W. Bush biography "Fortunate Son"; "Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry" and "Brothers in Arms," which explore the Democratic presidential candidate's Vietnam record and his subsequent stand against the war; "The Yes Men," following two anti-corporate pranksters posing as World Trade Organization representatives; "The Hunting of the President," examining efforts by Bill Clinton's enemies to discredit his administration; and "The War Room," the documentary hit about Clinton's 1992 campaign.

"I think this is the high-water mark for political filmmaking, but I don't think it's the end of the rising tide," said filmmaker Steve Rosenbaum, who is making "Inside the Bubble," a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the Kerry campaign.

For complete article go to:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/20/pop.politics.film.ap/index.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:56 pm
The political landscape has changed dramatically in the last four years. Whether it's an actual improvement is arguable.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:52 am
Moore plans sequel to "Fahrenheit 9/11"
AP--11/11/04

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Michael Moore plans a follow-up to his hit documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" that assails President Bush over the handling of the September 11 attacks and the war on terrorism, according to a Hollywood trade paper.

Moore told Daily Variety that he and Harvey Weinstein, the Miramax boss who produced the film, hope to have "Fahrenheit 9/11 1/2" ready in two to three years.

"Fifty-one percent of the American people lacked information (in this election) and we want to educate and enlighten them," Moore was quoted in Thursday's edition of Variety. "They weren't told the truth. We're communicators and it's up to us to start doing it now."

A spokesman for Fellowship Adventure Group, formed by Weinstein and brother Bob to help distribute "Fahrenheit 9/11," did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:39 pm
just saw it for the first time last night (on demand).

all i kept thinking throughout the film was: how could anyone vote bush after watching it?
moore is a genius at what he does... and i doubt he'll ever top F9/11.

(my apologies for not reading the entire thread)
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
I thought shooting for columbine was a lot better. Farenheit had some good stuff in it but also some not so good. The problem with it was that it wasn't balanced. It was all one way.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
How balanced was Columbine?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:55 pm
intelligent point merry. probably not very balanced come to think of it. For some reason, I just found it more compelling.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:16 pm
It may be it's almost superfluous to point out Bush and Co.'s ineptness as one would have to be deaf, dumb and blind. The gun problem is much more complex than that simpleton.
0 Replies