"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 will be out in theatres on June 25th. (This will break all sorts of records for a documentary and make Moore a rich[er] man. :wink: )

link to IndieWire

Link to Micheal Moore's homepage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 35,951 • Replies: 390
No top replies

couzz

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
Moore's '9/11' to be released June 25
Expected to open on 1,000 screens

EXCERPTS:

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter)

The film "F911" is set to launch theatrically June 25 in the United States, through a complicated distribution apparatus that will see Miramax co-chairmen Bob and Harvey Weinstein's newly formed Fellowship Adventure Group join forces with Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

Showtime is taking pay-TV rights to "Fahrenheit" through an existing deal with Lions Gate. The film's home entertainment rights have not yet been sewn up, though one source close to the film said that they could land with Universal Home Video.

According to a release issued Tuesday, the Weinsteins' Fellowship will "personally finance and control distribution and marketing" of the film, with Lions Gate and IFC executing those plans. The Weinsteins have further appointed consultant and former Miramax staffer Matthew Cohen as marketing director for their new entity to create and oversee all marketing materials."

"On behalf of my stellar cast -- GW, Dick, Rummy, Condi and Wolfie -- we thank this incredible coalition of the willing for bringing 'Fahrenheit 9/11' to the people," Moore said in a statement.

The Weinsteins added, "This is a true coalition. The passion that Lions Gate, IFC Films and Showtime have demonstrated reflects our desire to enable Michael Moore's extraordinary work to be viewed by as many filmgoers as possible as soon as possible."

While Lions Gate had long been considered a front-runner to distribute Moore's film because of the company's previous relationship with the Weinsteins -- Lions Gate has rolled out such too-hot-to-handle Miramax fare as Kevin Smith's "Dogma" -- IFC emerged as a dark horse in the "Fahrenheit" theatrical race. Sources close to the film had previously indicated that units including Newmarket Films, Focus Features and ThinkFilm had all been in discussions at various times.

Paris-based sales agent Wild Bunch will continue to handle "Fahrenheit's" international distribution rights deals.

Find the complete article at:
www.cnn.com
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
Thanks, Walter and couzz -- just got back to the thread to post a link to another article but it's stating nothing newer than what you've posted.
I'll bet Showtime is excited since they also garnered the cable showing of "Bowling."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
Oh great, another propaganda film from the left. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:14 am
Hey "kickycan" let us know about any creative right wing docu's that are opening...I would be willing to view them...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:18 am
Answer: none. They aren't that creative.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:25 am
I am confused -- there are again two threads on the subject and I wasn't sure which one I was replying to.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
Mel Gibson who originally was going to finance Moore's film might make a documentary especially as he's on record for some displeasures with GWB:

"The Passion of George W. Bush" Two hours of slicing and dicing GWB.

Hmmm...buy wait, I understand that's exactly what Moore has done.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
Mr Wizard:
By the way I can't think of any creative right wing documentaries that have been released to theaters in the past 20 years...is it possible none exist?

I think I vaguely remember a generally released docu/film that had both sides represented but I can't think of what is was...it seems to me it could have been in the late 70's or early 80's
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:47 pm
None produced and directed by anyone devoutly conservative that I can think of.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:18 pm
1. I hope this comes to Harrisburg. I'm sure myself and my buddies from Food Not Bombs will be there!

2. Lack of "right-wing" documentaruies may have to do with how many of them see any culture besides AM-Radio and FOX as the tool of the Devil.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
I disagree. There have been plenty of creative right-wing documentaries. I've watched them on Fox News myself. Wink

Seriously, I am constantly astounded at how creative the Bush administration can be with the truth.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:42 pm
Touche, Eva....
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:21 am
I'm eagerly looking forward to watch this movie.
Sure it's a lot of propaganda and the purpose of it is simply to alter the outcome of the upcoming presidential election, but MM always makes his version of the truth very watchable in a hilarious way.

Did anyone see the footage of MM stopping by on a university campus while being on his dude where's my country booktour?
The one scene I can't forget about this vid is where Moore trys to prove the Americans to be stupid by asking a Canadian guy pretty easy questions and asking in return like a dozen Americans slightly more difficult questions...I mean that's the sort of thing I like about Moore. He just twists the whole thing a little to make the outcome appealing to his theory.

BTW I'm not American so I don't mind you being dumber than the Canadians Wink
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
"F911" trailer released

The trailer for Michael Moore's film will debut in theaters Friday, June 4, 2004. It will be on his website beginning Thurs., June 3rd.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:56 am
Depends on how one defines propaganda -- humorous satire is, I repeat, like polticial cartoons that reveals a viewpoint from the facts and reveals something one might not perceive. It's up to the individual to process it and come out with a positive or negative response. I don't buy the slightly more difficult question, however. What is a slighty more difficult question?

Thanks, couzz, I saw that on this morning's news. I'll be visiting the trailer. It won't be Michael's trailer as he lives in a nice house and good for him. Even liberals can make it big and live in a nice house -- for the dissenters this means his creative output is no good because he should now theoretically become a conservative Republican. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:00 am
The trailer:

http://www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:05 am
I'm not a Bush fan, but I'm not a Moore fan either. I, for one, have no interest in anything Moore does.

Just my little two cents.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:06 am
It's jammed with traffic right now -- couldn't get a connect. That's says something!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
I hate to say, L.R.R., but that's only worth one cent.
0 Replies