Bill Cosby accused of Rape - say it ain't so

hawkeye10

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 01:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Why do we care where he got them? I dont see where this moves the examination of consent at all.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 01:54 pm
@nydia2013,
nydia2013 wrote:

Quote:
...as as a perv myself...

I thought there was something oddly out of place with you. As a "perv" do you consult a therapist frequently? Or are you currently residing in a home for the mentally unstable?

Good judge of character, nydia. It didn't take you long to figure out how
hawkeye rolls. Welcome to a2k, by the way. Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 01:56 pm
Quote:
“If he really was asking (Charney) for girls from out of town or girls without much money, that sounds pretty predatory to me,” she said Thursday. “That sounds like he’s looking for vulnerable young woman that he felt he could impress in order to place them in situations in which he could benefit in a sexual manner.”

Cosby testified that he wanted the young women to dine with him privately in his dressing room at “The Cosby Show,” the Washington Post reported.

The meals were like “a present” for the naïve newcomers and something that helped Charney keep them as clients, Cosby reportedly testified.

“It’s a very, very good meal, probably better than anything they’ve had the time that they’re in New York,” Cosby boasted in the deposition, according to the Washington Post.

Allison said it “hurts very much” to think Charney went along with Cosby’s creepy requests.

When Allison first told her story to The News last year, she said Cosby ejaculated on her and then told her to look in a mirror to admire her own "glow."

Allison said she lost her breath when she recently read he used the same "glow" line on Constand.

"Cleary this is another pattern with him. This is something he says after he rapes or assaults women," she said Thursday.

Thompson, meanwhile, went public with her name and story in March, claiming Cosby lured her to his house and pressured her to give him a hand job.

In his deposition, Cosby admitted to the sexual contact but said it was consensual, the Washington Post reported.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/bill-cosby-testified-vulnerable-models-sought-report-article-1.2301474

Thing is I dont consider this to be sexual assault, this trading of favors has been a near constant in the functioning of the male female relationship. And Cosby had some very good stuff to trade....good for him. But, Cosby messed up by going after very young women and trying to get his sexual needs met by them under false pretenses. I think we can all agree that these women had reason to be pissed off, Cosby both wanted to believe I am sure that he was trading freely when he was in fact acting like a highly motivated and highly skilled predictor. He tried to have it both ways, which he had to know was not fully thought out and that it was wrong.

Had the women done something about Cosby's dishonorable games in a timely manor I would have been supportive.
hawkeye10

Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he was in fact acting like a highly motivated and highly skilled predator.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:31 am
Quote:
Flawed Bill Cosby biography is pulled
24 July 2015

Plans for a paperback edition of a Bill Cosby biography have been pulled, following the recent claims against the comedian of sexual assault.

Cosby: His Life and Times by Mark Whitaker was described as "the first major biography of an American icon", when it was released in September.

It garnered positive reviews, but was later criticised for failing to address the accusations against the star.

Several celebrity endorsements for the biography have since been rescinded.

The publication of first edition saw the likes of Billy Crystal, Mary Tyler Moore, Jerry Seinfeld and David Letterman sing the book's praises. These have now been removed from pages promoting the book online.

Seinfeld is quoted on the back cover of the book, saying: "I know certain religions forbid idol worship. If anyone ever told me I had to stop idolizing Bill Cosby, I would say, 'Sorry, but I'm out of this religion.'

"So if you want to join the Religion of Cosby, as I did back in 1966, Mark Whitaker's wonderful new book would be our Bible."

Simon and Schuster vice president Cary Goldstein told the Associated Press that representatives from some of the celebrities had contacted the publisher about removing their quotes.

Tom Keaney, who represents Seinfeld and Letterman, told The Hollywood Reporter: "We were unaware that those quotes were still in circulation, and are asking the publisher to refrain from their future use."

'No updates'

Whitaker's 544-page biography paints a sympathetic portrait of Cosby, and praises his contributions to race relations in the US.

The book was "based on extensive research and in-depth interviews with Cosby and more than sixty of his closest friends and associates".

But it never mentions the rumours that the star had drugged and assaulted women during the 1970s and 1980s.

The book's publication was, in part, responsible for prompting several women to come forward with their stories.

Now 78, the comedian has never been charged with a crime and publicly denies the claims.

In November Whittaker, a former editor of Newsweek, tweeted that he was "wrong to not deal with the sexual assault charges against Cosby and pursue them more aggressively".

Simon and Schuster have now confirmed the book will not be updated to include the allegations and it will not get a paperback publication.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33649351
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:39 am
Quote:
Spelman College Severs Ties With Bill Cosby
Sarah Begley @SCBegley
July 25, 2015

Spelman College has discontinued its Bill Cosby endowed professorship, the historically black women’s college announced Friday.

The Cosby family donated $20 million to the school in 1988 to endow the position, but Spelman indefinitely suspended the professorship last year, as news piled up about sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby. More recently, an old deposition emerged in which Cosby admitted to getting sedatives to give women before sex. Now the college has taken the definitive position of discontinuing the endowed position, officially called the William and Camille Olivia Hanks Cosby Endowed Professorship, USA Today reports. The school said it returned related funds to the Clara Elizabeth Jackson Carter Foundation, established by Camille Cosby.
http://time.com/3972281/bill-cosby-spelman-college/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:45 pm
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html?mid=twitter_nymag#beverly-johnson2

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2015/07/22/magazine/24-cosby-lede-feature.jpg

Quote:
‘I’m No Longer Afraid’: 35 Women Tell Their Stories About Being Assaulted by Bill Cosby, and the Culture That Wouldn’t Listen

Quote:
The group of women Cosby allegedly assaulted functions almost as a longitudinal study — both for how an individual woman, on her own, deals with such trauma over the decades and for how the culture at large has grappled with rape over the same time period.

In the ’60s, when the first alleged assault by Cosby occurred, rape was considered to be something violent committed by a stranger; acquaintance rape didn’t register as such, even for the women experiencing it.

A few of Cosby’s accusers claim that he molested or raped them multiple times; one remained in his orbit, in and out of a drugged state, for years.

In the ’70s and ’80s, campus movements like Take Back the Night and “No Means No” helped raise awareness of the reality that 80 to 90 percent of victims know their attacker.

Still, the culture of silence and shame lingered, especially when the men accused had any kind of status.

The first assumption was that women who accused famous men were after money or attention. As Cosby allegedly told some of his victims: No one would believe you. So why speak up?

Quote:
This generation will probably be further galvanized by the allegations that a national cultural icon may have been allowed to drug and rape women for decades, with no repercussions. But these younger women have given something to Cosby’s accusers as well: a model for how to speak up, and a megaphone in the form of social media.

Quote:
There are now 46 women who have come forward publicly to accuse Cosby of rape or sexual assault; the 35 women here are the accusers who were willing to be photographed and interviewed by New York. The group, at present, ranges in age from early 20s to 80 and includes supermodels Beverly Johnson and Janice Dickinson alongside waitresses and Playboy bunnies and journalists and a host of women who formerly worked in show business. Many of the women say they know of others still out there who’ve chosen to remain silent.

Quote:
This project began six months ago, when we started contacting the then-30 women who had publicly claimed Cosby assaulted them, and it snowballed in the same way that the initial accusations did: First two women signed on, then others heard about it and joined in, and so on. Just a few days before the story was published, we photographed the final two women, bringing our total to 35. “I’m no longer afraid,” said Chelan Lasha, who came forward late last year to say that Cosby had drugged her when she was 17. “I feel more powerful than him.”

Accompanying this photo essay is a compilation of the interviews with these women, a record of trauma and survival — the memories that remain of the decades-old incidents. All 35 were interviewed separately, and yet their stories have remarkable similarities, in everything from their descriptions of the incidents to the way they felt in the aftermath. Each story is awful in its own right. But the horror is multiplied by the sheer volume of seeing them together, reading them together, considering their shared experience.

photos/interviews/video at the link
ehBeth

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
This nymag story hit a lot of nerves - here obviously which I'm happy about as well as the greater interwebs. The nymag website was taken down by hackers not too long after I posted the links here. It's back up now.

This photo essay has got a lot of people talking. In my dance community, this has brought out a great deal of discussion. Seeing the 35 women seems to have broken a conversational dam of some type.
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 02:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Will they run Bill Cosby's story next issue if he wants, with a flattering photo of him on the cover?

Doubtful.

This was cheap and it was poor journalism. But it sells, and after watching the feminists play this way for years they will get away with justifying it as activism for a good cause. Cause kicking a man who is accused of sexually wronging women is always a good cause for a large slice of the population, and an even larger slice of the elite.
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 02:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Phylicia Rashad will give a commencement speech Friday at Tuskegee University . That she took the gig has to mean that she has something that she wants to say on either womens rights or justice in general. I doubt she will mention Cosby but the between the lines are bound to be thrilling.
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jul, 2015 05:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
For the magazine's cover, each of the women was photographed seated in a chair and gazing into the camera; the last chair sits empty, symbolizing all the women who can’t come forward with their stories.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/07/27/new_york_magazine_cosby_cover_theemptychair_expresses_support_for_survivors.html

Clearly bullshit

Quote:
"The empty chair on the cover represents all the women who have come forward and aren't on the cover, as well as anyone who may not have come forward yet,a representative from NYMag confirmed to USA TODAY."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/07/27/-empty-chair-new-york-magazine-bill-cosby-cover/30730275/

Slate is increasingly joke of a journalism shop....full of bias, half truths, strategic omissions and titillation for the left.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 07:38 am
When I was very young, I admired Cosby and looked forward to his presence on TV. These stories of rape and drugs makes me very depressed, which is why I have not been contributing here. But, a person I love very much had an experience with him that I thought should be passed on to the readers here.

Janis Ian:
Thank you all for the response to my "Cosby memory". Someone pointed out that by starting it with the New Yorker link, people sharing it would only be able to share the link, not the text. So here it is again, with a different format.
The photos are of me, at 16, on the Smothers Brothers show. They're here so anyone sharing will be able to share the text as well. The link to the New Yorker piece is http://nymag.com/…/2…/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html. And here's my memory:
Do I have a stake in this issue? Yes. Of course. Outside of being female, outside of knowing women aren't "heard" as loudly as men are heard, outside of firmly believing that if women were treated equally around the world, many if not all of the world's problems would no longer exist - outside of all that... I have a personal stake.
No, I was not sexually bothered by Bill Cosby. We met because he was curious about me.
My song "Society's Child" was climbing the charts and creating a great deal of controversy. The Smothers Brothers took a huge gamble and had me on their hit television show. I was just sixteen years old when we taped it. I'd been on the road for months, doing press and one-nighters. My chaperone/tour manager, a family friend six or seven years older than me, was doing everything in her power to make sure I was protected and getting as much rest as possible.
Remember. I was sixteen. Still in high school. Fairly naive, including about my own sexuality. For months on the road, my chaperone was the only consistent face I saw. Everyone else was a complete stranger - radio personalities, newspaper reporters, magazine photographers, audiences, promoters, disc jockeys, all strangers. So I clung to my chaperone.
We'd never been to a big-time TV taping. We had no idea we'd have to be inside from early early morning until whenever they called for me. There were only a couple of chairs for us on the set - I was pretty low on the totem pole, way lower than Jimmy Durante or Pat Paulsen or Mason Williams (all of whom were wonderful to us). And I was exhausted. I'd been having nightmares for weeks, the result of the controversy surrounding "Society's Child" and the death threats I was receiving daily. I needed to sleep. So I fell asleep in my chaperone's lap. She was earth motherly, I was scared. It was good to rest.
We taped the show. I had a ball. (You can see it on Youtube, in fact. That's me, looking scared, in the green dress. My friend Buffy from East Orange, where I'd started high school, made it for me. I treasured it.) Then we went back to New York, and I went back to school.
A while later, my manager called me into her office. "What happened at the Smothers Brothers show?!" I had no idea what she was talking about, and said so. "Well, no one else on TV is willing to have you on. Not out there, anyway." Why? I wondered. And was told that Cosby, seeing me asleep in the chaperone's lap, had made it his business to "warn" other shows that I wasn't "suitable family entertainment", was probably a lesbian, and shouldn't be on television.
Again, a reminder. I was 16. I'd never slept with a man, I'd never slept with a woman. Hell, I barely been kissed, and that in the middle of the summer camp sports area, next to the ping pong table.
Banned from TV. Unbelievable. Bless Johnny Carson and his producer Freddy de Cordova, one of the nicest men I've ever worked with, because they didn't listen. Or maybe they didn't give a damn. I don't know. I do know that they broke the barrier Cosby tried to create.
There's a lot to bother a sensible person about this. The years these women were ignored. The years they were derided. That the story finally really "broke" because a male comedian named Hannibal Buress kept bringing it up, kept calling Cosby a "rapist". Not because woman after woman after woman went to the police, to the press, to anyone who'd listen, with horribly similar stories.
Let me be snarky for a moment. Interesting that there are so few women of color in the New Yorker photo. Interesting that the ones in the photo all appear to be light-skinned. Perhaps darker skinned women have not come forward yet? Perhaps they're among the other 12 women who've accused him but aren't pictured?
Or perhaps not. I have to wonder if this rapist has some issues with his own race.
Continuing the snarkiness, I find it horrifying that his wife is still insisting it was all consensual. That she sounds more upset by "the invasion of privacy" than the rapes.
People seem to be confused because she continues to stand by him. I have just two words for that - money, honey. According to the press, she's his manager, and has been for years. And his "business manager", eg the person who handles the money. So if there were pay-offs, she saw the checks. She is complicit.
If it was consensual, why pay anyone to be silent?
If it was consensual, why are there so many women who do not want money, who do not need fame, who are by turns ashamed, violated, exposed, vulnerable, and still continue to speak out?
Cosby was right in one thing. I am gay. Or bi, if you prefer, since I dearly loved the two men I lived with over the years. My tilt is toward women, though, and he was right about that.
But what an odd thing, that a black man who slept with so very many white women chose to take my possible lesbianism away from our one meeting, rather than the message I tried to get across with "Society's Child." How pathetic. How truly, truly pathetic.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Why anyone would vote this and your last post down is beyond me. The photograph from New York should by itself shut up any doubters.

Great posts.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Powerful stuff, edgar. Janis Ian is one of my favorites, too.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 3 Aug, 2015 10:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

The photograph from New York should by itself shut up any doubters.

Neither the cover nor the article presented any new information. Journalistically the project was a poor one, though of course the purpose was advocacy. The exercise was very iffy on justice grounds as well, as the undertone is that a lot of accusations are as good as proof of guilt, which is of course bullshit.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Thu 6 Aug, 2015 08:16 am
This case begs a reexamination of the statute of limitations for crimes like rape.
hawkeye10

Thu 6 Aug, 2015 01:41 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:

This case begs a reexamination of the statute of limitations for crimes like rape.

What makes rape special in that we can disregard the attempt to practice justice? When ever we are unfair to the alleged criminal we are not being just. Contrary to popular opinion the definition of justice is not putting the max possible hammer on alleged abusers that have been fingered by alleged victims. Justice requires many things, but one of the requirements is that we have to know beyond a reasonable doubt what happened. It is usually not possible to figure out with any certainty what happened behind closed doors decades ago. Most of these cases boil down to how much the jury believes the one person who is claiming to be a victim, which can be and sometimes is accomplished by acting.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 6 Aug, 2015 02:46 pm
Bill Cosby Ordered To Give Deposition On 1974 Assault Claim
Source: International Business Times

Bill Cosby has been ordered to give a sworn deposition in a lawsuit alleging that he sexually abused a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 1974.

The order, entered by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge on Tuesday and made public on Wednesday evening, according to Reuters, states that Cosby will submit to questions under oath from the lawyer of his accuser, Judy Huth, on Oct. 9, and that she will answer questions from his attorneys on Oct. 15.

Cosby's lawyers had sought to compel Huth to give her deposition before the comedian, but the judge sided with Huth in requiring Cosby to go first.

"We are pleased that we will now be able to move ahead without further delay on Ms. Huth’s case and we look forward to taking Mr. Cosby’s deposition on Oct. 9," said Gloria Allred, who is representing Huth and several others of Cosby's accusers, LAist reported.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/bill-cosby-ordered-give-deposition-1974-assault-claim-2041170

Huth's complaint is one of at least four pending civil suits against Cosby stemming from such accusations.

Ms Huth is one of more than 40 women who have come forward in the past year to say that they were raped or molested by Cosby after he gave them alcohol or drugs in incidents dating back decades.
ehBeth

Thu 6 Aug, 2015 03:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm not a great fan of Gloria Allred, but she definitely seems to be getting things done, particularly in the Huth case.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 6 Aug, 2015 07:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll take justice from where-ever it comes from.