Are there any peaceful muslim nations?

vikorr

Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:01 pm
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/one-year-since-us-coalition-launched-air-strikes-against-is-are-we-winning-the-war/story-fnihsmjt-1227479545893<br />
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2015/08/11/1227479/545645-a66f1966-3f8a-11e5-91d1-7a17ec48b9e9.jpg
Quote:
A US Defense Department map shows Islamic State’s operating areas as of April. The light brown is where IS dominates, while the orange reflects its territorial losses since August 2014.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 03:47 pm
Full Storyhttp://www.couriermail.com.au/news/islamic-state-hackers-attack-australian-public-servants-issuing-a-frightening-hit-list/story-fnii5s41-1227481157471
Quote:
Islamic State hackers attack Australian public servants, issuing a frightening hit list

AUSTRALIAN defence officials, public servants and a Member of Parliament have been placed on a frightening Islamic State hit list.

Their personal details, including phone numbers and email addresses, have been shared on social media as the death cult claimed it had hacked American government and military computers.

Australia’s top IS recruiter Neil Prakash, from Melbourne, sent the list to his 1100 followers and urged them to attack. One post he shared said: “Kill them where you find them and enslave their women.”...
ossobuco

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 04:14 pm
@vikorr,
Yikes..
ossobuco

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
This is scary. Besides the obvious, it may also increase fears about muslims who aren't IS inclined.
vikorr

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 04:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. It's an unfortunate situation for any muslim who isn't inclined to Jihad.

It's one of the reasons I mentioned, quite some time previously, that I think our governments are taking the wrong long term approach to handling this.

That is, by denying publicly that there is a problem, when one so obviously exists - they lose the trust of the people. Further, those people (their constituents) are then left to their own devices to work out why these problems are continually occuring...with most constituents to uninformed to understand. Add that to their distrust of their politicians, and people will jump to many conclusions - almost inevitably negative.

That's a long winded way of saying, but no admitting to a problem, it seems to me that the politicians will slowly lose control of the message. It then becomes harder and harder (as this problem continues) to guide the path of any offered solutions.
ossobuco

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
@vikorr,
Nods.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:41 am
Is DAESH blowing up Palmyra going to change any minds?

BTW I see that a lightbulb just when off for the EU bosses, they just figured out that importing the Muslim hordes makes security impossible no matter how much freedom they remove from the people. Way to go, heck of a job....

A still they sit off the coast of Africa to give the invaders a lift, and the Germans tell their citizens to shut the **** up if they dont want all of these invaders in their country.

Time for a complete EU leadership change, and it will not be pretty. Current leadership fucked up, in oh so many ways.
0 Replies

Dropship

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:34 pm
It's often claimed that Islam is "the fastest growing religion in the world".
Haha, it's been trying to catch up with Christianity for the past 1500 years and has still got a ways to go, and most muslim countries are barren deserts anyway..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Religions_2012_zps1a611c24.jpg
hawkeye10

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:40 pm
@Dropship,
When talking about popularity of religions you need to talk in numbers of people, not number of square miles.

Here is hoping that you are not as big an idiot as this post indicates.
Dropship

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Care for a nice slice of pie?..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/rel-pie-1.gif
hawkeye10

Sat 29 Aug, 2015 05:52 pm
@Dropship,
Better.
vikorr

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
You would also have to include devotion to their religion in it. Ie. the percentage of non-practising-<name of religion>. Also interesting would be (at the other end of the spectrum) the percentage of fundamentalists.

In any event, perhaps only the percentage of fundamentalists would relate to this thread.
hawkeye10

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 10:38 pm
@vikorr,
You probably said someplace but I did not see it.....what is your story? Do you have some experience with muslim fundamentalists? I am struggling to understand your investment, it seems that you are an India Hindu by the way you talk but your profile says Australian. Actually it says "Australia" ....does not mean that you identify as Australian.
vikorr

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 11:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
My investment?

Hmmm...it started out as curiosity as to why 9-11 happened. To me, religious differences didn't explain the level of hatred that arabs feel towards America.

As it turns out, there is a great deal of American Foreign Policy that has contributed towards that hatred. Differences in culture, and religion, and power levels, and wealth etc also no doubt contributed to to the level of hatred.
--------------------------------------------------

Fast forward from 9-11 to the growing number of terrorist incidents, with 95%+ being Islamic, and curiousity demands the question 'why?'

I seem to be one of the few people that have taken the time to try and find out why. I've read several chapters of the Quran. I've read books by Muslims. And I've read books by critics of Islam. I've read a few historical accounts of the conflicts between Christiandom & Islam.
---------------------------------------------------

An 'investment' would be that I came to the conclusion that Islam is:
- an intolerant religion (previous quotes on it's endless put downs of other religions)
- refuses to integrate (obvious to anyone that looks at it as a whole, and supported by the Quran - quotes previously provided. A lack of integration contributes to the intolerance)
- is jihadic in nature (with the major meaning being holy war, and the lesser being the inner struggle), but with several variations depending on how much power they have as a community, or whole.
----------------------------------------------------

A further investment would be - I do not wish to see our way of life subjugated by such an intolerant religion. I prefer to preserve our freedoms.

Currently though, due to our tolerant culture combined with our lack of interest in other cultures...we are supporting (in ignorance) an intolerant religion. If posts of current events can make other people ask 'why', and lead to them looking into it for themselves, that is a good thing.
---------------------------------------------------------

All that said - I don't know that I would class it as a deep investment. Overall it takes up very little of my time.
hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 01:20 am
@vikorr,
Interesting. Mine is 9/11 and my wife came back from 3.5 years of mostly dealing with muslim terrorists in Iraq pretty messed up.

This religion which has added almost nothing to civilization in many hundreds of years now has many of its people actively trying to destroy civilization and we see almost no pushback against them from the rest of the members of the religion. I did not notice any imams at Charlie Hebdo after the attack for instance. Where are the academics of islamic societies on the question of the barbarity that their religion has sunk too?

I dont know if this is right, some people should be checking, and the fact that they are not tells me that this is right

Quote:
The aggregate size of the economies of all Muslim countries put together is around $5.7 trillion — or 8.1pc of the world total. The largest economy in the Islamic world is Indonesia with a size of $846 billion, followed by Turkey ($775bn) and Saudi Arabia ($577bn). Iran is the only other Muslim country with a GDP larger than $500bn.

While Pakistan is the second largest Muslim country in terms of population, it ranks eighth within the Islamic world in terms of size of the economy.

The oil-producing countries of the Islamic world account for the bulk of the combined size of the economy of the ummah, with a share of 73pc. Excluding the contribution of oil to the economies of Muslim-majority countries, the non-oil GDP of the Islamic world is a paltry 4pc of the world GDP (my estimate).

and this

Quote:
Overall, the combined per capita income of Muslim countries amounts to $4,185, which is approximately 40pc of the world’s

What can these people do well other than killing people and blowing stuff up? What decent human things do they want to do? I come up pretty empty on these questions.
hawkeye10

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 01:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The 280m Arabs spend a higher percentage of GDP on education than any other developing region, and yet some 65m adults are illiterate and about 10m children still have no schooling at all. There is little Arab writing, or translation from other languages: in the 1,000 years since the Caliph Mamoun, noted the authors, the Arabs have translated as many books as Spain translates in a single year.

http://www.economist.com/node/2035097

Their not even trying so **** them. Unless they demand to be able to boss me around and use violence when they dont get it, then perhaps they need to die.
andy31

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
I have to agree with you 100%. I was just watching on TV Syrian emigrants flooding the borders of some EU countries. As you look carefully.... I'd say most of them, at least 80% are young man, military age, shockingly some making throat-cut-gesture, some shouting "Allah aghbar". So where are all those women and children one could ask...?.
I hope we are not going to start shipping them here...
I'm with you. **** them all. I know that one day world will wake up. And all the idiots will learn what the true face of Islam is. I hope it won't be too late.
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 29 Sep, 2015 06:55 pm
Notably, the journalist making these claims was vocally opposed to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/islamic-state-planning-nuclear-holocaust-says-journalist-who-spent-10-days-embedded-with-terrorist-group/story-fnihsmjt-1227550297625

Quote:
Islamic State planning nuclear holocaust, says journalist who spent 10 days embedded with terrorist group

NUCLEAR warfare is Islamic State’s end game with plans for the “largest religious cleansing in history”, according to a veteran German journalist who spent 10 days embedded with the militant group.

Jürgen Todenhöfer detailed his 10-day stay with the terrorist organisation in his new book ‘Inside IS — Ten Days In The Islamic State’...

Islamic State has traditionally shun western media outlets over the years, instead choosing to spread their message across social media networks like Twitter.

But it is believed Todenhöfer, 75, was allowed to visit thanks to his vocal opposition to the US invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan...

Same story is accross other major newspapers

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/28/l-todd-wood-isis-planning-nuclear-tsunami/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 29 Sep, 2015 08:47 pm
@vikorr,
Jihadic as a whole? Islam is large and many are not engaged in jihad. The word for those people is 'Islamists'.

You think the Washington Times is a major newspaper?

I challenge you to read a link I gave here on a2k recently about an article that I learned a lot from. It is an article written by a guy that tends to did and dig and dig with his research, George Packer.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france

It's about thirteen pages; I found it worth a read.

coldjoint

Tue 29 Sep, 2015 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Jihadic as a whole? Islam is large and many are not engaged in jihad.

Your article is lip service. The Ummah is one. And the majority of Muslims want Sharia and are content to let other Muslims do the dying as they reap the
rewards of a terminally tolerant West.

Until the religion abolishes Sharia, Islam is a threat to civilization. Don't hold your breath.
0 Replies