Navy SEAL: I Killed Osama Bin Laden

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:31 am
The rest of the guys just waited in the helicopter.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:43 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The rest of the guys just waited in the helicopter.

Not a particularly even handed rendition of what happened here, is it, Edgar?
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Maybe he could get work manning the electric chair for Texas.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I would have never guessed you had it in you. You don't seem like the type who could actually shoot someone, even someone as bad as Bin Laden.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:02 pm
@maxdancona,
It was a Navy Seal that shot the man.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's my point. By seeking glory at the expense of the team effort that got him, the man who pulled the trigger is being selfish. It was all of their fingers on that trigger.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That's my point. By seeking glory at the expense of the team effort that got him, the man who pulled the trigger is being selfish. It was all of their fingers on that trigger.

I get that...but he acknowledged that, Edgar. He even mentioned the other shooters. But he was the guy who made the hits...which has been confirmed by several others who were there.

He is not trying to take all the glory for himself. (That was my point.)

I think, as you apparently do, it sucks that any of them broke the protocol of silence the Navy Seals have set up for themselves...

...BUT if I were the guy who killed Osama Bin Laden...the temptation to tell everybody would be overwhelming.

When I hear the TV ad that advises calling a doctor if you have an erection that lasts over 4 hours...my thoughts always are, I will...right after calling the New York Times.

We all want to be recognized for the things we do...and apparently the guys on this team are no different. (More than one has broken the code.) They are being shunned by their fellow Seals...and I guess they will have to live with that. I guess he also will have to live with the fact that this revelation has put himself and his family in mortal danger.

Unseemly move on his part...and perhaps a stupid one. But so very human, in my estimation.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:19 pm
You are more charitable than I.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not only that, they are disputing between two of them who actually did it. But, at the same time, showing their face. I'd hate to think of the worse here, but their glorified smiles are going to get them killed.

No one should like shooting anyone dead. Let alone brag about it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 05:28 pm
US Navy SEAL Robert O'Neill backs off claim that he was bin Laden 'shooter'
Christian Science Monitor - ‎1 hour ago‎
Navy SEALs are meant to keep quiet about their deadly missions around the world. But the killing of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden by SEAL Team Six - who was “the shooter” - is causing considerable public debate within the SEAL community.
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 05:01 am
@edgarblythe,
The guy who wrote the book went by the pen name of Mark Bowen (Which was a deliberate means to confuse the public with Mark Bowden , who wrote "VBlackhawk Down" nd a book about the killing of bin Laden. )
I understand that, by breaking the "cone of silence" both these guys could be prosecuted
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:41 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Did you watch the show on this guy?

He didn't wear anything even approaching a ""glorified smile" (whatever that is).

He also didn't brag about shooting Bin Laden, although our president did, and despite what he might have us all believe, we know he didn't pull the trigger.

It's interesting that anyone who supports Obama would find this fellow's acknowledgment that he fired the gun that killed Bin Laden to somehow be distasteful when the president not only made it a big feature of his 2012 campaign, it went so far as to include in at least one campaign slogan: "Bin Laden is Dead and GM is alive!"

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing any Democrats or liberals in this forum criticizing Obama for his celebratory announcement of Bin Laden's death, (let alone the use of it in a re-election campaign) and in a manner which might lead the gullible to think the president had found the al Qaida leader, planned the raid, flew the helicopter, shot the SOB between the eyes and dumped him in the ocean after taking pictures of his corpse.

BTW, who is going to kill him, and how do you think they'll manage to do so?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 02:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Are you referring to this?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/12/navy-seal-who-shot-usama-bin-laden-revealed-in-exclusive-fox-news-interview/

This came out a day ago, before Edgar posted this. I looked up what I saw and saw "two guys claiming they killed him" but you know the internet, I mean look at this:-

http://topinfopost.com/2013/06/21/over-20-seals-who-killed-osama-bin-laden-now-dead

And then if this is true? Then shame is all I have to say.

http://rt.com/usa/seal-bin-shooter-us-944/

Quote:
Despite killing America's most wanted man, the US Navy SEAL referred to only as “the Shooter” has transitioned back to a civilian life plagued by poverty. The Shooter, who remains anonymous, retired from the SEALs in September 2012, thirty-six months before the 20-year requirement for retirement benefits.

And the government makes no exceptions when it comes to retirement benefits – not even for one of the Americans responsible for striking the most crushing blow against al-Qaeda.

“What is [hard] to understand is that a man with hundreds of successful war missions, one of the most decorated combat veterans of our age, who capped his career by terminating bin Laden, has no landing pad in civilian life,” writes Phil Bronstein, Executive Chair of the Center for Investigative Reporting, for Esquire.

Aside from remaining anonymous and therefore lacking recognition from the American public, the US government appears to have forgotten the Shooter’s significance in the raid that killed the most wanted terrorist. Without a pension, healthcare, or any sort of government protection, the Shooter has been left in the dark by the agency he dedicated his life to.

Unsympathetically, he was told to look for a job driving a truck to make enough money to scrape by.

If a seal did kill him, and that seal his his photo up on the net, who do you think will kill him?

No offense but I don't get your question.

theideasman

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 03:06 am
@edgarblythe,
hectic
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 05:27 am
Don't worry about finn. He likes to drop in turds without flushing.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:26 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I'm referring, of course, to the same thing Edgar started this thread about. I am certainly not referring to loony suggestions that bin Laden was dead prior to the US mission and that the US assertion that a Navy SEAL team killed him is a lie " like 9-11 or the jfk assassination investigation."

I am referring to your comment that one or more SEALS are wearing “glorified smiles” about the killing of bin Laden.

I am referring to your suggestion that these smiles are going to get “them” killed.

I am referring to your suggestion that someone is bragging about killing bin Laden.

I don’t know who your nutty linked sources think “The Shooter” is, and I don’t really care.

Despite the Christian Monitor’s fallacious headline in an article Edgar didn’t bother to provide us with a link to, Robert O’Neill hasn’t backed off claiming that he was the SEAL who fired the fatal shot. In their article The Monitor cites O’Neill as saying that “it doesn’t matter” who shot bin Laden and

"The most important thing that I've learned in the last two years is to me it doesn't matter anymore if I am 'The Shooter.' The team got him,"

How anyone can determine this is him backing off his claim is beyond me, and anyone who has watched the two part FOX special or heard O’Neill’s recent interviews will know he certainly hasn’t “backed off.”

I’ve read and heard enough to believe him, and I don’t think the criticism of him, internal to the SEALs, would be confined to him talking about it the raid if he clearing had not shot the target.

In any case, if you had watched the special or listened to the interviews you would not have seen a “glorified smile” or heard bragging. I’m left to wonder where you have come up with the contrary notion. O’Neill repeatedly indicated that it was luck as much as anything else that had him facing bin Laden that night, and that every one of his team members was equally capable of firing the final shot. He even went so far as to say that during the years since the raid he often thought about whether killing bin Laden was the greatest or worst thing he had ever done. Doesn’t sound like bragging to me.

I also referred to the actual bragging of President Obama and the Democrats over the killing. Did you find that as distasteful as the imaginary bragging of Robert O’Neill?

I don’t know why O’Neill decided to come out and reveal that he shot bin Laden. I know that he explained that he felt it was necessary to humanize the mission and its members to provide 9/11 families with closure. I understand that he was not paid by FOX and that, currently, he doesn’t have a book in the works, but an effort to make some money could be part of his reason.

Given the ethos of the SEALS, I can understand why some may not be happy with O’Neill. There was nothing I heard that I thought might be classified information and I think any suggestion that the Feds might go after him for that is pretty weak. Considering how much the White House vomited up immediately after the event and how much they gave to the movie company working a film of the matter, I think they would be opening a huge can of worms for themselves if they pursued O’Neill on some technicality. I do get that part of being a SEAL though is not talking about the things they do, and it does seem clear that he violated that rule. I think his reasons are far more complex than cynical edger suggests, but if we find him making 6 figure book or movie deals in the future, I will have been proven wrong.

Finally, it appeared that you were suggesting that Islamist terrorists would kill O’Neill because he bragged about being the shooter. I wanted to confirm this was the case. You still haven’t done so, but I will assume you have.

Obviously it’s possible that he might be the target of a revenge plot by al Qaida, but I seriously doubt that al Qaida has the wherewithal to carry out the sort of mission necessary to find and kill an ex-Navy SEAL. If it was no mean feat, we would have experienced a whole lot of terrorist attacks on our soil since al Qaida was routed in Afghanistan, their top level members picked off by drones and bin Laden was taken down and dumped in the ocean by American special forces. If they are currently focusing all of their minds and resources on another direct strike against the US, I seriously doubt they will waste the effort on killing one man, and a man who will not be an easy target. SEALs aren’t supermen and faced with a large group of enemies intent on killing him, O’Neill would probably be killed, but imagine how such an attempt would backfire in the face of al Qaida if they couldn’t pull it off and O’Neill came out victorious against his attackers. There’s little to no percentage in a mission to kill O’Neill. I’m sure he remains vigilant but I very much doubt he’s flinching at every movement.

Besides, as Obama and his supporters keep telling us “Osama is dead and al Qaida is on the run.” How does a group so thoroughly decimated through the good works of our president pose a threat to anyone, let alone an ex-SEAL in Montana?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's frustrating. No matter how many times I flush, you just would run down the drain.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:35 pm
Avoiding for the moment that it was a seal team that got Osama and not one guy, and that hundreds of people helped the seal team do it, this yahoo clearly did not get the memo that we dont celebrate heros anymore. That honor goes to victims.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing any Democrats or liberals in this forum criticizing Obama for his celebratory announcement of Bin Laden's death,

you missed it/them

it was funny watching both sides arguing about the whole thing - the cartoons of the WH team watching the killing etc etc - reps of each side taking credit and reps of each side trying to blame the other for the killing vs a capture
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 08:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
each side trying to blame the other for the killing vs a capture
He was killed because that was the order. According to the rules of the engagement of this mission the only way he could be taken alive was if they found him on the ground with his hands behind his head, according to an interpretation I read long ago from military sources. Everyone knew before hand that this was not going to happen.
0 Replies