One of the two brothers that did NPR Car Talk have just died.

BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:50 pm
Quote:
http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77

Tom Magliozzi, Popular Co-Host Of NPR's 'Car Talk,' Dies At 77
November 03, 2014 2:30 PM ET
Lynn Neary 2010
LYNN NEARY
Listen to the Story
All Things Considered 5 min 5 sec
Tom Magliozzi's laugh boomed in NPR listeners' ears every week as he and his brother, Ray, bantered on Car Talk.i
Courtesy of Car Talk

Tom Magliozzi, one of public radio's most popular personalities, died on Monday of complications from Alzheimer's disease. He was 77 years old.

Tom and his brother, Ray, became famous as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers" on the weekly NPR show Car Talk. They bantered, told jokes, laughed and sometimes even gave pretty good advice to listeners who called in with their car troubles.

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 05:29 pm
Wow, what a learned state, even the mechanics have doctoral degrees.

I really liked their show. He'll be missed.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
even the mechanics have doctoral degrees.

From MIT on top of that........
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 06:29 pm

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 07:47 pm
@Region Philbis,
My two all time favorite radio voices. The infectious laugh and the way that Tom always worked "what color was your car?" into the diagnosis.

ALZHEIMERS!! Man, I recall the day they signed off for the last time . I never realized he was so afflicted. he shall be missed.
My two favorite media shows are 1Car Talk with Click and Clack
2Top Gear (the BBC version with Jeremy Clarkson nd friends).

All the tv"Reality SHows" suck big time compared to these two.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 08:58 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I recall the day they signed off for the last time

Do you happen to remember roughly when they ended their show?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:55 pm
@BillRM,

October, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Talk
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:19 am
@Region Philbis,
I hope they keep running the "Classic Car Talk" shows , at least for a few more years.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:34 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/what-will-happen-show

A number of people have asked about the future of the show and whether they will be able to continue to listen to Tom and Ray.

The short answer is yes. We spoke to Ray about this, and he feels the finest tribute he can possibly offer his brother is to allow people to continue enjoy Tom’s great humor and joyful attitude.

We are all fortunate that Tom spent so much of his life in front of a microphone, sharing so many hours with the millions of listeners he loved. Because of that we, and future generations, will be able to continue to enjoy the magical alchemy of Car Talk.

So, as long as people want to listen to Car Talk, and as long as our stations make a home for us in their schedules, we will continue to make Tom and Ray available every week.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 12:42 pm
http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/quotable-tom-magliozzi

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/what-people-are-saying

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 05:30 pm
So, what are the complications from Alzheimer's that lead to death?
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 10:26 am
@InfraBlue,
Today on NPR, there was a compilation of some of the best and funniest shows.
One of the greatest bits was when Tommy red a "letter" about how the Clinton Administration would sponsor air dropping huge loads of vowels over Bosnia. I almost ran off the road (I was driving the tractor down to the mill to pick up a load of our sheep feed mix
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 10:34 am
@InfraBlue,
http://www.livescience.com/48609-alzheimers-disease-death.html

Tom Magliozzi, one of the hosts of the National Public Radio show "Car Talk," died yesterday (Nov. 3) from complications of Alzheimer's disease, according to news reports. But how does Alzheimer's disease kill?

Alzheimer's is perhaps best known for its effects on memory, but the condition is a progressive brain disease in which abnormal protein deposits build up in the brain, which causes brain cells to die.

But Alzheimer's disease is not usually a direct cause of brain death — that is, it does not suddenly cause the entire brain to cease functioning, said Dr. Marc L. Gordon, chief of neurology at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Queens, New York, who was not involved in Magliozzi's care.

Most often, the complications of the debilitating disease are what cause the death of Alzheimer's patients, Gordon said. [Alzheimer's vs. Normal Aging: How to Tell the Difference]

These complications include infections, such as infections of bedsores that occur when people stay in bed for prolonged periods. Alzheimer's patients also may have difficulty swallowing, and they may inhale food, which can result in aspiration pneumonia, Gordon said. Pneumonia is listed as the cause of death in as many as two-thirds of patients with dementia, according to the Alzheimer's Society, a charity in the United Kingdom for people with dementia.

Alzheimer's patients also can develop fatal blood clots — another complication of being bedridden, Gordon said.

Alzheimer's disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2010, nearly 85,000 people in the United States died from the disease, the CDC says.

But a study published in March of this year suggested that the number of deaths from Alzheimer's disease may be five to six times higher than what the CDC reports. That's because the people filling out death certificates may not list Alzheimer's disease as an underlying cause of death, either because there are other underlying causes (such as infection), or because the person does not know that the patient had Alzheimer's disease.
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 10:50 am
@Butrflynet,
when I was a kid, my mom used to tell me that , so-and-so "dropped dead". Today everybody's gotta know how.
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 03:20 pm
@farmerman,
An sometime they will lied about the cause such as Isaac Asimov death that were due to AIDs but was not admitted to for years.

An no as far as I know he was not gay but got it by way of blood transfusions due to an open heart operation long before the blood supply was being check for HIV.
0 Replies