Economics - How price of one good depend on another

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:05 pm
I have nooo idea how to solve this problem. Anyone who wants to Point me in the right direction? Please explain as much as you can though, because I'm not following AT ALL! You'd save my life...or atleast my econ grade.

X and Y are selling the same Product. X has found that the demand for his Product depends on DemandX = 15 - 2PX + PY
Demand for Y = 15 -2PY + Px

Their marginal cost is $3

Questions: what do the functions mean?
If Y charges $7 for the Product. What will X charge, and how many Products will he sell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 589 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:23 pm
@2164,
Given the opportunity to save your life or econ grade, I must respond.

What do the equations mean? In the case of both manufacturers, if their competitors raise their prices, they will see more demand and if they raise their own prices, their demand will drop significantly. If you add the two equations together, you will see that the total demand = 30 - Px - Py so price increases by either company will result in the overall demand going down.

The second question requires you to make a profit equation for X. X makes (Px-3) dollars per sale, so Total Profit = Dx (Px-3). Stop here until you understand that.

From the equation you provided:
Dx = 15 - 2Px + 7 = 22 - 2Px

Put that into the profit equation:
Profit = (22 - 2Px) * (Px - 3)

Find the maximum of that equation. You can use calculus, a graphing calculator or find the roots using algebra and just know that the answer is between the roots. Since the roots (where profit is zero) are 3 and 11, Px = $7.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:59 pm
@engineer,
Strange. I took Econ 101, Marcoeconomics, and Mircoeconomics, and I don't remember this formula. But then, I graduated from college over 50 years ago.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:01 pm
@engineer,
Hello savior! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it so so so much!

Can I ask one more thing? If X then is like a monopoly who faces a marginal revenue MRb(Qb) = 11 - Qb
then how many cups will he try to sell and to what price? I don't really understand how this is different from the earlier question....
0 Replies