Will Republicans take the Senate in the election?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You, George, are deliberately refusing to concede that your comment that there is no Social Security Trust Fund...IS WRONG.

There is one. In fact, there are two.

C'mon.

These are indeed things, and they are labeled as Trust Funds, but, unlike any others, they have no liquid tangible assets. In that area they don't meet - indeed they explicitly violate - the Federal requirements imposed on all other things bearing that name.

Does that please you more ?

Not at all...but I guess that is the best you can do. Too bad that. I thought more of you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 05:54 pm
The congress controls the purse strings; they have been successful in cutting taxes and increasing the national debt. Who do we blame?

The voters are ultimately responsible. We have found the enemy, and ......
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 06:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not at all...but I guess that is the best you can do. Too bad that. I thought more of you.

Then you are being pig headed and refusing to recognize meaningful differences.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 06:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Then you are being pig headed and refusing to recognize meaningful differences.

You are being pig-headed, George, and refusing to acknowledge that indeed there are two Social Security Trust Funds...contrary to an assertion you made earlier.

I thought you were a stand-up guy.

Possibly I was wrong about that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 09:17 pm

Mary Landrieu ousted by the voters -- Republicans pick up another Senate seat:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/06/369028636/bill-cassidy-defeats-mary-landrieu-in-la-senate-runoff

GOP gains record numbers in the House:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/gop-poised-grab-246-seats-house-27412359

Of course the main defeat for the Democratic party lies ahead, in 2016, when we will see them pay a heavy price for the 2013 gun control debacle.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:21 pm
@oralloy,
The recent election was indeed an earthquake for the Democrats and we are starting to see the aftereffects of it in the reactions of prominent members of the party, ranging from Senators Schumer to Harkin and now Harry Reid.

That said, I think it is a bit early to make forecasts for 2016, except that most of the supposed "certainties" of just a few months ago (such as Hillary is a shoo-in) are now very much in question. Much depends on what the parties do in the months ahead and on the candidates that emerge as we approach the next election.

So far Obama appears to be behaving in a belligerent way, more interested in advancing his personal goals while he has the time, than in adjusting his administratrion and his party to the emerging new political reality, as did Clinton under similar circumstances. What appears to be self-confidence in one's wisdom and persuasive powers, while riding a favorable tide, can quickly be exposed as arrogance and stupidity in more challenging circumstances, if one lacks the real strength of charactrer required for high office. This increasingly appears to be the case with our President. If this behavior on his part continues, we could see real growth in the trends that were visibly operating in the last election, and a decisive defeat for the Democrats in 2016.
oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 01:15 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
That said, I think it is a bit early to make forecasts for 2016, except that most of the supposed "certainties" of just a few months ago (such as Hillary is a shoo-in) are now very much in question. Much depends on what the parties do in the months ahead and on the candidates that emerge as we approach the next election.

I am officially out on a limb and my enemies all have their saws at the ready. I've been predicting for some time now that the 2013 gun control debacle will result in Republicans retaking the White House in 2016.

My thinking is that Mr. Obama foolishly wasted all of his political capital in a futile attack against the NRA, which resulted in him not achieving any other legislative victory that he might have achieved had he used his capital more judiciously.

Come 2016 it will have been a long six years since his last legislative victory. I am predicting that will cause enough voter dissatisfaction to switch control of the White House.
0 Replies