Was ANYONE heard "A good Mind ages like Fine Wine"?

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:05 am
A true statement, but I cant believe I am the first to say so. Google that the phrase does not exist, but I dont believe it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

A true statement, but I cant believe I am the first to say so. Google that the phrase does not exist, but I dont believe it.

So can we assume, from the wording of your thread title, that you are very young? Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
You can assume that I think that good minds get better with age, and inferior minds dont. To a point at least. I had been told often early in life that getting old meant realizing how dumb we are, I think because failures at life were supposed to add up. I dont find that, I find that getting old means learning new stuff. I think that those who told me that they felt more stupid as they got older had inferior minds.

Do you have an opinion as to the validity of my perception?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:25 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You can assume that I think that good minds get better with age, and inferior minds dont. To a point at least. I had been told often early in life that getting old meant realizing how dumb we are, I think because failures at life were supposed to add up. I dont find that, I find that getting old means learning new stuff. I think that those who told me that they felt more stupid as they got older had inferior minds.

I agree with that, Hawk.

And I understand you wanting to be a guy who coined an interesting thought.

But did you actually mean to use the word "Was" at the beginning of your title...or did you mean to use "Has?"
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
ah, Was was supposed to be the word. My brain sometimes glitches, always has. I used to have the experience in university of working on an equation for 30 minutes only to realize that I had made a stunningly stupid mistake 10 minutes in.

Brains are strange.

Quote:
And I understand you wanting to be a guy who coined an interesting thought.
No I cant believe that I am the guy who thought of it. What i find interesting is that I should be able to recall who else has said it but can not. And google does not seem to think that anyone has but I dont believe that. I want to know who else has said these words.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:36 am
There are lots of (forgive me!) somewhat trite sayings about things, including people, ageing like wine, fine or otherwise. The idea is a meme really. It sounds like the sort of Christmas-cracker-motto wisdom that got quoted in the Reader's Digests of my youth, often attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, I seem to recall. As far as the ageing of wine is concerned, only a small percentage of wine produced has the potential to age well, and whether it does so or not depends on a lot of factors such as how it is bottled and stored, and crucially in my opinion, the individual taste of the the drinker. Also it is not a simple linear process where older equals better. A wine might be bland and unexceptional at 5 years, subtle and complex at 10 years, and vinegary and overblown at 15. (Maybe it's not such a dumb saying after all!)
contrex

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:38 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think that those who told me that they felt more stupid as they got older had inferior minds.

I think that young people are often filled with a sort of arrogant certainty that they "know" certain things, and then as they get older they are more inclined to admit that maybe they don't know so much really.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:59 am
@contrex,
Quote:
β€œMen are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.”

― Pope John XXIII
sort of

Quote:
Men age like wine, women age like milk.
Nope

Quote:
"Men are like fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something with which you'd like to have dinner with."

nope and

Quote:
"Women are like fine wine. They all start out fresh, fruity and intoxicating to the mind and then turn full-bodied with age until they go all sour and vinegary and give you a headache."

nope

Quote:
yet we still hope to age like fine wine, accumulating Talmudic wisdom with our years
The aging brain edited Sachdev 2005 CRC Press page 3

http://books.google.com/books?id=gv2nCTb27TsC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=mind+%22age+like+fine+wine%22&source=bl&ots=2gXs75RLiT&sig=lsn5cWA-Lv3wd3lWiETKCyxuMBY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B_5VVMaDHOn1igKbnICAAQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=mind%20%22age%20like%20fine%20wine%22&f=false

better
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:51 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
but I cant believe I am the first to say so.

I can't believe it either.

The phrase has been around for decades.

In one of its headlines, USA Today wrote:
"Like a fine wine, brain can improve with age"

There's plenty of similarly written phrases.
0 Replies