Why are people ok with being average?

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:49 pm
I look around me and am troubled by the amount of people who are just ok. They live a completely average life. There is nothing special about them, and somehow they are ok with that.
In my life, i strive to be different. I strive to be out of the ordinary, and people look at me weirdly for this.
Why is it that so many people are content with being completely average?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:00 pm
@SnuffyTheSeal,
I don't think you've thought this through. It's good that you try to rise above the average, but consider this -- if there was no 'average', you would have nothing to rise above!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:08 pm
Never misunderestimate the average person. The instant you dismiss one, he or she will surprise and embarrass you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:43 pm
@SnuffyTheSeal,
We celebrate the victims, not those who do great things. How can you expect people to aspire to great things in a society where doing the opposite gets the most recognition? being a worthless clod gets "oh, you poor thing!" and checks in the mail for doing nothing.

Work is for saps.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:15 pm
@SnuffyTheSeal,
You may only see people as average because you are not wise enough to detect special. Every person has a story or a talent. Open your eyes.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:23 pm
Pretty much no matter what the criterion, there's going to be an average. Depending on what you're measuring, today's average may be outstanding to what it was like a few decades ago. And if someone was raised in a below-average situation, I can easily understand how they would be happy with an average adulthood. Average for some is a sign of how far they've come. And people who are average today haven't necessarily levelled out permanently. There are probably ways that they are making progress in something; not all progress is external or visible or displayed. In many ways, being happy with less is a good thing. Material wealth, for example.

But as for me, I don't measure myself against what others have accomplished very much. I measure myself against what I'd accomplished last year or 10 years ago, or whatnot.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:29 pm
There is only one way to recognize the extraordinary, the wise man, the out of the common person: when lots of idiots try to block your way, gossip and plan against you, make their lives miserable because you demonstrate them that you are beyond their capabilities.

If no envious are attacking you, then you are not above average.

glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:09 am
@carloslebaron,
Well, that's never going to happen to you. You're too dull to be noticed. I'm trying to be a pal, you should be so lucky as to be regarded as average.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:09 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
There is only one way to recognize the extraordinary, the wise man, the out of the common person: when lots of idiots try to block your way, gossip and plan against you, make their lives miserable because you demonstrate them that you are beyond their capabilities.

If no envious are attacking you, then you are not above average.
R idiots ABLE to "plan" or to "gossip"??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:19 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
SnuffyTheSeal wrote:
I look around me and am troubled by the amount of people who are just ok.
They live a completely average life. There is nothing special about them,
and somehow they are ok with that.
Thay probably don t see themselves
as being involved in competition.

SnuffyTheSeal wrote:
In my life, i strive to be different.
I strive to be out of the ordinary, and people look at me weirdly for this.
All my life, since near age O, this has been attributed to me.
It has resulted from my effortlessly being ME.

Little have I striven.

David
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:24 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Well, that's never going to happen to you. You're too dull to be noticed. I'm trying to be a pal, you should be so lucky as to be regarded as average.

I find it hard to regard those with delusions of grandeur as average. A2K has accumulated its fair share of them, seems.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:29 am
@FBM,
Much depends on the degree
(and authenticity) of grandeur.

David
FBM

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I reckon you're right about that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:23 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
SnuffyTheSeal wrote:

I look around me and am troubled by the amount of people who are just ok. They live a completely average life. There is nothing special about them, and somehow they are ok with that.
In my life, i strive to be different. I strive to be out of the ordinary, and people look at me weirdly for this.
Why is it that so many people are content with being completely average?

This commentary of yours seems like a convoluted way of saying, "I am above average."

Okay...glad you feel good about yourself.

But it is best not to have to feel that others are less than you...in order to feel good about yourself. In fact, doing so is often an indicator that you probably are not above average!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 04:14 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:
when lots of idiots try to block your way

But that could be (is, in your case) because you are a deluded jerk.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 06:27 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
Quote:
I strive to be out of the ordinary

Smile
So why did you join the "snuffy the seal" bandwagon ?

Can't you think of a unique name for yourself ?
0 Replies

Tekla

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 07:13 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
Some might be scary about new experiences, some have no opportunities or no occasions, in many cases are they working a lot and no time for changing s.thing.

Money can be an object. If one's doesn't feel missing s.thing , how to know gets exploration.

To go work makes usually . To had got through a terrible time or illness could be enough ambitions . Much are get knowledges by travelling around before start working for rest of life.
There are different causes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:23 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
You must be delightful at parties.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 10:53 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
Seal, that's really a good q, one I've long pondered also. No matter how hard you work at it however there's always someone else who eclipses you. I give much credit to the very ordinary fella who somehow simply manages an honest life
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 11:19 am
@SnuffyTheSeal,
The person who fails to see the good in 'average' still has much to learn.

Even those 'below average' can grow to become successful.

You need to rethink where 'you're starting from.' Your thinking needs to be cleaned and 'revised.' Learn about modesty.

Snearing at other humans will get you nowhere.
0 Replies