Facebook Activity Log

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:17 pm
My Facebook activity log shows numerous searches for a person that I have not searched for in the past two months. Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,673 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:17 am
@duckwing,

is it someone you know?

if not, it sounds like your account has been hacked.

changing your password will help...
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 08:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Yes it is someone I know. Actually there are two names of people I know that keep appearing on my activity log even though I haven't searched for them in a couple of months. Yesterday I searched for and found a business. Looked at their page then shut down and went to work. Before I left work, I revisited Facebook and the business showed up in my activity log again with the current time tagged. Very troubling and I have found no way to get any attention from Facebook staff.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:15 am
@duckwing,
Do you have someone at home - husband, kids, that could log into your fb account and check out what you're doing?

Regardless, if you change your password, things should be back to normal.
If not, then indeed I would think facebook should be helping you.
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:38 am
@CalamityJane,
Yes, my wife does. That could explain the "continued" people searches. However, that would not explain the second business search that showed up on my activity log (see my last posted reply). Somehow I think all the extraneous entries on my activity log have the same root cause.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:45 am
@duckwing,
1. Change the password to one you've never used before and don't give it to anyone else. This will eliminate the possibility of it being someone else accessing your account via a known password.

2. Run an anti virus and anti malware scan to detect the possibility of nefarious infections of your device.

Wait a couple days and see if the problem still exists. If it does, consider reinstalling Facebook to correct any corrupt code in the program.
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have changed passwords (can't ever remember mine) and have run virus scans. Reloading Facebook may be the best plan. When I visited Facebook tonight, sure nuff a search I did this morning was posted again on my Activity Log.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:36 pm
@duckwing,
Go into further detail. Are you saying that you did a search this morning and that your activity log now has two entries, one with a timestamp from this morning AND a second entry with a timestamp later in the day?

Also, what device, operating system and browser are you using?

Have you tried the same searches on another device and do the log entries still not coincide with your actual activity? If not then the problem is specific to your device and has to be narrowed down to something on that.
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, a search I did this morning (time stamped as such in my activity log) showed up again the next time I visited Facebook with a time stamp which coincided with the time of the second visit. Same thing happened two days ago. I also have multiple activity log entries for people searches I did 2 months ago but have not done since.

Internet Explorer, Windows 8.1 (which I detest) and a Toshiba laptop.

I have another laptop. Good suggestion. I will use it for a few days and see if the same problem occurs.

Wasn't thinking earlier but all one can do is opt out of Facebook.
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:12 pm
@duckwing,
Well, I went to my other lap top and got the same result. Searched on a person at 8:51. Revisited Facebook at 10:05 and found a second search recorded in Activity log at 10:05.
duckwing

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:13 pm
@duckwing,
Forgot to say Windows 7, IE and HP laptop
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:11 am
Looks like your issue is similar to something reported in 2011:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gwibber/+bug/897594

I doubt that it's a hack. It just looks like a duplication bug in their software. Are you perchance accessing Facebook from more than one device (e. g. a home PC and your phone)? It might not be synching the two devices' activities.
duckwing

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:35 pm
@jespah,
No, phone not invoved. I was working with one PC when I first noticed the problem. Switched to another PC exclusively and experienced the same problem several times. How do I get Facebook's attention?
jespah

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:04 pm
@duckwing,
You don't, and you won't (sorry). There are 1.2 billion accounts there, and fewer than 8,350 employees - everybody from Zuckerberg to whoever empties the recycling at night. They aren't going to provide individualized help unless you are really high up (as in, "Allow me to help you with your account, Mr. McCartney.").

Frankly, I'm kind of wondering what your issue really is. Duplication of items in your activity log? Or are you having activities attributed to you that you don't recall doing? Recognize that there are offsite Like buttons, plus you might be logged into a program where you logged in via your Facebook account and allowed it to post for you (and you may have forgotten that you did that).
duckwing

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:58 pm
@jespah,
Duplication of items in my activity log.

Last night I searched Facebook for my wife which showed up in my activity log. This afternoon when I revisited Facebook, the search was in my log a second time but time tagged with the time I revisited.
0 Replies

sutton

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 01:15 pm
@duckwing,
Hi, have just come across this question you posted. Did you resolve the problem/discover what is was. My partner & I have just had the exact same thing happen on his fb page....but I didn't believe he hadn't searched frequently & recently for his ex!! Having read this...it seems he may be didn't do it!
0 Replies