A way to avoid bumping threads

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:47 am
Threads that require bumping daily (or more often, even) don't really have to get bumped to carry on. All it takes is for thread participants to go to one another's profile and click on "Follow." Then, when a thread stalls the way they do, they can click on "My Friends." This function will allow one to see posts made by every member being followed, but not one's own posts. But you know what you posted, so, it doesn't matter. The thread in question would progress with no more bumps.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:59 am
@edgarblythe,
I'll give that a try
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:06 am
I tried a year or more back to get letty's radio people to do this, but got nowhere.
George

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, another one of us will now.
Thanks, edgarblythe.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Or start a new thread like Caption the Cartoons part 2.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:52 pm
I never actually follow anyone, creepy two shoes. I've a life. I have clicked on 'follow' for some people who only appear fitfully, in case I wanted to chase them down. Now I know better, re how to search. Years later than all the follow stuff, I might add an avatar person for appreciation, sort of bump, but mostly not.

In any case, if I am worried about people, I search their usernames and look at their profiles, and last posts.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:10 pm
Like osso, I've never 'followed' anybody. I suppose I might try it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:22 pm
Apparently, most of you like the bumps. Razz
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not a matter of 'liking' them. One simply should accept the inevitable and unavoidable.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/133/607/bump.gif
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:30 pm
How come that cartoon caption thing needs so damn many bumps? Usually one bump will do the job...but there I sometimes see three or four.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:33 pm
Has something to do with use of band width, whatever that is. So I am told.

Another odd thing about a2k: If you are ignoring somebody, but still following them, their posts will show for you when you click on My Friends.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm the one who has tried to stop it, this time.

Threads have been reborn here, and all of the talk is still available. Consider that brit series.. I think it was Jespah who started No. 2.

The weightload for hosting giant threads here is iffypoopoo.

On losing the old and iconic ones, we can boost them, once separated.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Suit yourself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Myself, I was tired of posting five or more efforts to change the page, and then getting an announcement against my importuning too much too fast.

There have been other threads that had a number 2, and those threads are still available and interesting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:00 pm
My way completely bypasses all that without disrupting threads or breaking them off into new ones.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:02 pm
No way I want to spend my time following people. How to mix cartoons with creepiness.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to call bullshit on that one.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Really?
I don't actually follow people and have no intention of starting to do that to bypass a technical problem on our current a2k system.

Follow people on Panz's cartoon thread? Criminy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:36 pm
The My Friends button serves the same function as the New Posts button served on the original incarnation of a2k. Only difference, it is selective and you have to make the first move to make it happen. It does not allow one to see any more about other posters than simply clicking on threads. It speeds up checking out favorite threads and eliminates the need for bumping.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am not here for my friends, but to read and learn, and sometimes that results in some of us posters being actual friends, variously.

There is no chance I'll click some kind of my friends button.
0 Replies