10 Cars That Probably Should Not Have Hit the Road

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 10:17 am
Boston Globe wrote:
Like all other industries, automotive history has its instances where makers released products that left many completely unsure as to how they made it to production. However, because of the auto industry’s inherent exposure to the public, and the weight that rides on companies’ ability to create quality products, automotive flops tend to be more spectacular than most — and potentially more damaging to the brand responsible.

Here we’ve compiled a collection of 10 frequent offenders. Although these cars may have seemed right at the time, they probably should have been put under more stringent review — and at least a focus group or two, as nothing embodies “hindsight is 20/20″ quite like automotive miscalls.

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/10-cars-that-probably-should-not-have-hit-the-road.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3HX1ZTwqz

Here's one of them:
http://www.wallstcheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Cadillac-Fleetwood....jpg?0cbb7c&0cbb7c
1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V8
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 5
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:17 am
@Lustig Andrei,
My dad had one of those and I inherited it. Looking out over the hood was
like being on the bridge of an aircraft carrier looking out over the flight deck.

It cornered like an aircraft carrier, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:55 am
Those ten are the tip of the iceberg. Didn't mention Corvair, Matador, Crosley and a number of others.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:11 pm
http://www.wallstcheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/pinto.jpg?0cbb7c&0cbb7c

1971 Ford Pinto
I remember driving one of these as a rental. People I knew were horrified that I could get rear-ended in traffic and have the whole thing blow up on me. The placement of the fuel tank right behind the rear bumper was, to say the least, an unfortunate design error. As I recall it handled okay, though.
carloslebaron

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 06:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The Ford Pinto!

What a great time with it. When I had it, this old oil burner barely can reach 45mph, but the sound of the motor was spectacular.

To pass the inspection, I had to bypass the backup light with a switch, so when the inspector asked me to put gear on backup, I turned the switch ON manually under the dash. It passed the test.

Unfortunately it started to send strong dark smoke signals throughout the city and I had no money to fix it up. A mechanic took it for using the parts.
0 Replies

xtremcarrace

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 03:29 am
@Lustig Andrei,
This is a car that you should keep somewhere as your trophy.
0 Replies