Nebraska students can pose with guns for school portrait

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:07 pm
http://www.motherjones.com/files/imagecache/top-of-content-main/nebraskagun.jpg

Mother Jones wrote:
Seniors at Broken Bow High School in Nebraska have been granted their God-given right to pose with guns for their upcoming senior portraits, just as long as the photos are taken off campus and done "tastefully."

“The board, I believe, felt they wanted to give students who are involved in those kinds of things the opportunity to take a senior picture with their hobby, with their sport, just like anybody with any other hobby or sport,” Superintendent Mark Sievering explained to local paper, the Omaha World-Herald.

One would think such a bizarre proposal would prompt some level of debate, a modicum of sane opposition! After all, we're talking about mere teenagers eerily striking poses with weapons in their adolescent hands. Alas, the idea was met with a unanimous yes by all members of the Broken Bow school board.

“For me as a sportsman, I think the policy’s important because it allows those kids who are doing those things a chance to demonstrate what they’re doing and to celebrate that. I think that’s important and fair in our country," board member Matthew Haumont said.

As for the "tasteful" requirement, that means classy poses only folks: no photos with weapons pointed at the camera, no brandishing of weapons, and no "scantily clad girls."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/10/nebraska-high-school-guns-senior-portraits%20
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,171 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Excuse me while I throw up.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:30 pm
@ossobuco,
OmSigDAVID will hold the basin for you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I bet.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 05:51 am
@Lustig Andrei,
It is nice to hear of a school that does not hate America's freedom.

Bravo!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:33 pm
@oralloy,
I have no idea what it has to do with 'America's freedom.' A yearbook photo is not supposed to be a political statement.

But I do agree with you to this extent: if firearms and marksmanship are hobbies for a particular student, then I don't see what kind of reasoning could keep them from posing with the implements of their hobby. That makes no sense to me unless you also ban, say, tennis rackets, baseball bats and hockey sticks.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 10:06 pm
Ah, schooldays! Youth, innocence, that first kiss, those endless summers, a Remington M1911 single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol.

Happy days!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 10:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't see any problem with this. It doesn't hurt anyone. The kids aren't being forced to do anything.

What's wrong with giving kids a little freedom of expression?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:15 pm
So are they all allowed to wear costumes now?

What'll they think of next to wear in their yearbook photos?

My guess:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/258/c/7/godzilla_costume__side_view_by_itekithwei-d2ytebh.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 12:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
I wonder if schools in the mid-west have gun clubs instead of debating teams. Most high schools encourage activities, school paper, student government, chess or debating teams. If they have a gun club, skeet shooting or something, my year book had pictures of all the members of each club and each athletic sport.

When they take senior pictures, a lot of family's order different sizes to distribute to family and the kids usually swap wallet sized pictures. I guess if grandma wants a picture of sweet lulu belle posing with her favorite handgun, it's no skin off my nose.
0 Replies