wolfie

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:05 pm
"Power on the devices. A/The device with a/the system initialization completed first will be elected as the Master device."

Would you please help me to use the right articles in the sentence above?

Is this one better, "Power on the devices. Whichever completes the system initialization first will be elected as the Master device."?

Thank you much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:09 pm
@wolfie,
When you write 'devices,' are there more than one device?

What follows after "A/" doesn't make any sense.
wolfie

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi,

Yes, it's more than one device.

I typed A/The to ask which one should be used. Sorry, should have been more clear.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 01:54 pm
@wolfie,
Power on the devices
Quote:
What exactly, Wolf, does this mean

The one with system initialization completed first will be elected as Master Device
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 02:26 pm
@wolfie,
Quote:
... elected as the Master device...

The correct phrase should be 'selected as the Master device.'

The whole phrase should read, "The device that first completes system initialization will be selected as the Master device."

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say, but that is a close as I can come. Perhaps you can tell us what exactly you want?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:00 pm
@Ragman,
Well done Rag. To skirt repetition tho I might have said "The one that…" or maybe refer to it as "The gadget" or "The machine," etc

And if it's actually the name of the thing then don't you suppose we ought to cap "Device" too
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:14 pm
@Ragman,
How about,
Quote:
"The device that first completes system initialization will automatically become the Master device."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:42 pm
@dalehileman,
No, not in this case. The convention allows for Master to be capitalized but not for device. This is based upon a former career of writing tech manuals.

In fact, it even can be just referred to as "becoming Master".

"The device that first completes system initialization will be selected as the Master (or just Master)."
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 04:33 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
No, not in this case. The convention allows for Master to be capitalized but not for device. This is based upon a former career of writing tech manuals.

I have written and edited technical manuals and articles and also helped develop house style guides for these and I would not capitalize "master".
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:48 am
@contrex,
Well, aren't you special? Specially sanctimonious.
And that pronouncement is proof of what?
One corporation's style may and often differ. I lived in the northeastern USA. You lived elsewhere. As you know full well, there are regional differences . I've seen many manuals that refer to the term either Master or master. What I wrote is not incorrect.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:37 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
The convention allows for Master to be capitalized but not for device
Thanks Rag for that clarification. I had mistakenly supposed that Master Device might be a sorta nickname
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:40 am
@contrex,
Quote:
I have written and edited technical manuals and articles and...
By coincidence Con I also wrote manuals when I was a kid. I had wondered from whence your apparent expertise had arisen
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:35 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Well, aren't you special? Specially sanctimonious.
And that pronouncement is proof of what?

Butt out, dogbreath. You are the one who claimed special authority derived from a former occupation.

"This is based upon a former career of writing tech manuals."

I just wanted to show that another former manual writer had a different opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:24 am
@dalehileman,
Hey! Does writing Personnel Manuals count? LOL Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 2 Cents 2 Cents 2 Cents Mr. Green
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:39 am
@contrex,
Oooh, I'm crushed. Dogbreath, huh?. How sophomoric. Is this junior high?

Until the last comment in response to yours, nowhere in my replies did I address you or intend my comment to be in response to yours. No need to get your panties in a wad.

My information was directed to OP. Simply stating my qualification to indicate this was a matter of technical style, as opposed to grammar. Had no intent to lock horns over the issue. Cripes!@ Incidentally, my dog's breath smells like roses.
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:54 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Oooh, I'm crushed. Dogbreath, huh?. How sophomoric. Is this junior high?

Do dictionaries on your planet contain the word "jocular"?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:56 am
@contrex,
Rhetorical; he slit his throat. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:59 am
@contrex,
^5 Wink
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 12:06 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

^5 Wink

I was so upset about your "junior high" comment. I don't go there until next year. My mommy said the "sticks and stones" thing again...
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 12:10 pm
@contrex,
hehe! Have a good one. In my not-so-distant past, I've been stoned on buds not sticks.