The CDC has it all wrong.

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 11:10 am
The flu is a real threat that kills thousands of Americans every year. If all Americans got the flu shot, it would save tens of thousands of lives. Because of this the CDC has habeen telling people that flu shots are important and that everyone should get one.

Ebola is no significant risk to more than a couple of dozen people. Because of this the CDC has been telling people that it is no significant risk.

The result? That people are going batshit crazy worrying about Ebola at the same time that they are not getting flu shots.

If I ran the CDC, this is what I would do.

I would get my smartest looking doctor and list his impressive credentials. And I would have him say in a press conference that there is no significant risk of the flu killing more than a few dozen people.

And then I would put out marketing material telling people that Ebola is a serious threat and suggesting that they stop using airplanes, taking cruises or going bowling.

If that is what it takes to get Americans to act rationally (i.e. getting their flu shots and not freaking out about Ebola), then why not?

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 11:32 am
@maxdancona,
Sorry you can not expect the American people to act rational as long as the news media and our so call leaders love to pump up any new risk, for more viewers in the case of the news media and votes in the case of our beloved politicians.

The flu is a known risk so you can not get any benefits by declaring the world is coming to the end due to a flu outbreak unlike Ebola.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Even if the Ebola situation wasn't happening, far too many people are a tad undereducated on the flu vaccine (let alone vaccines in general).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:53 am

Speaking of flu vaccines, there are a number of different kinds available now, so try to choose wisely when you get your shots.

In particular, there is a special version for people over age 65 that has a higher than normal dosage in order to better activate an older person's weaker immune system. (Don't worry, it is a dead virus vaccine so the higher dose is safe.)

They also have vaccines now that protect against four strains of flu instead of just three. If you aren't old enough to pursue the higher-dose version, you still might want to make sure you get a four-way shot instead of a three-way.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:59 am
@oralloy,
What's weird was that the pharmaceutical company (?) was advertising the 4 strain flu vaccine on the radio for several weeks. First vaccine commercial I remember hearing on the radio.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:12 am
People might want to also take their family, friends, and even neighbors and coworkers into consideration when deciding to get a flu shot.

I am not elderly, and I am healthy. My body most likely could fight off the flu just fine, although it would be an unpleasant experience. But when you have family members who are cancer survivors, or coworkers who can't get the shot because they're pregnant or they're allergic to eggs (I've had both conditions in my life), then it's not just your flu risk that's at stake - it's also theirs.
oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:02 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
But when you have family members who are cancer survivors, or coworkers who can't get the shot because they're pregnant or they're allergic to eggs (I've had both conditions in my life), then it's not just your flu risk that's at stake - it's also theirs.

There is now an egg-free flu vaccine, although as yet it is only approved for ages 18-49.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_flublok-vaccine.htm
jespah

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:14 am
@oralloy,
Oh, I should send a note to my former coworker. Thank you!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:50 am
@oralloy,
This year, for the first time in my life I was offered, and able to afford thanks to Obamacare, a flu vaccine that did not contain any preservatives. This was the first year I didn't have to hang around for 30 minutes after a flu shot to ensure I didn't pass out. It was also the first year I didn't have 3 or 4 days of aches and flu like pains throughout my body after the shot. It pretty much confirms what I've been telling people all my life except it is the preservatives and not the vaccine itself that I have reactions to.

What a difference!
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:18 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm really surprised that people who are scared of Ebola aren't getting flu shots. If you are terrified of getting Ebola, you should be terrified of getting the flu (not because it's likely to kill you) but because if you get it you might think you have Ebola. The early symptoms of the two diseases are similar.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 02:42 am
@Kolyo,
I was hospitalized on 14 September for sudden weakness, chest pain, profuse sweating and sky high blood pressure. This happened while I was getting a chest X-ray so fortunately there were doctors checking me out and packed me off to the hospital via an ambulance.

The Emergency Room drew blood, and things got a little blurry. They asked me if I had been outside the US, I had not. More questions about vomiting or diarrhea , no I didn't have that either. Hours later the blood results indicated my sodium levels were dangerously low, potassium and magnesium also low, so they added those to my IV, but I was there 3 days until the levels were sufficient to be released. What I almost forgot to mention, when the nurse came in with the blood levels, she also assured me it wasn't Ebola. I started to laugh but then asked her, are people coming in thinking they have Ebola, and there apparently were quite a few. No one had Ebola, but the fear factor is getting a tad hysterical.
0 Replies