Scam?

gollum

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 06:35 am
I received the following e-mail. I guess it is a scam. But what is the danger of responding?

M.S Agent <[email protected]>

3:30 AM (5 hours ago)

to 9
JOBS DESCRIPTIONS :

1. You will be assigned to visit a shop.
2. You need to "pretend" to be a normal potential customer who is looking for a particular service or product.
3. You will then finish an on-line questionnaire to share with us your customer experience.

REQUIREMENTS :

18 Years old or above.
Can speak local language well.
No experience needed Like Shopping.

JOB PAY :

You will get for US240 each assignment.
Most of the time you will only need to spend 20 minutes on the visit.

Give me your information for register :
1. Name :
2 Physical_ADDS :
3. Cities :
4. States :
5. Countries :
6. Zip_Codes :
7. Phones :
8. Gender :
9. Ages :

Note : Your response would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sincerely,
Paul Steward
Evaluator Manager
Shopper International 2014

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 07:04 am
@gollum,
You let them know it's a live email and then they'll send you even more spam. Why the hell would you waste your time responding to obvious spammers?
gollum

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 07:24 am
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

I won't respond. I guessed that that the spammers intention was to fraudulently take money from me and I was trying to figure out how he would accomplish it. Communicating to him my e-mail address enables him to address e-mails to me but not as far as I can see to fraudulently take money from me. Also he somehow transmitted the subject e-mail to me though my e-mail address wasn't on the e-mail.
contrex

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:17 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
I guessed that that the spammers intention was to fraudulently take money from me and I was trying to figure out how he would accomplish it.

Mystery shopper scams are common. There are at least 2 ways that I have heard of that the scammers use get money from victims:

1. You have to pay a fee to "register", to become listed etc, or pay for training materials or the like.

2. Your first "job" is to evaluate a money transfer service; you are sent a cheque (or 'check') and told to pay it into your bank account, withdraw the money in cash and wire it to a recipient nominated by the scammers. You are persuaded to do this before the cheque clears; often a time limit is mentioned. Guess what? After a few days the cheque is found by your bank to be fake, so you lose, and the scammers gain, the sum withdrawn.

The fake cheque method is used in many different scams.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 02:03 am
Jespah's point is a good one. Very often, email spam has a "click here" link at the bottom if you want to have your name removed from their mailing list. The purpose of that is to find out that your email address is valid and active, which clicking on the link tells them.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:08 am
@gollum,
I print mine out and burn it in the back garden. I then take a photo of the ashes and attach that to a reply email.

I now get spam emails for fire extinguishers and smoke alarms.
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
I now get spam emails for fire extinguishers and smoke alarms.

I send pictures after I have performed my procedure, but I get spam emails for condoms and tissues.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 07:59 am
The point about these scams, in fact about most confidence tricks, is that they rely on the gullibility and greed of the victim. For example, in the fake-cheque scenario I mentioned above, most people would smell a rat. Why would anyone send a cheque to a complete stranger when the recipient could just cash it and keep the money?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 11:45 am
@Lordyaswas,
What! No matches? LOL
0 Replies