Does he love me?

Hollybc

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 02:52 pm
My boyfriend and I have been together over 2 years. We have been living together for 3 months. I want to get married and he had said that he was going to ask me 4 months ago on his birthday but his birthday came and went and he never proposed to me.
Today I asked my boyfriend if he loves me and he said of cos I love you, I asked him if he is going to marry me and he said " well I can't marry you if I don't love you". I asked him about it and he said I took it out of context. Do I need to be worried?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 637 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 03:40 pm
Ask him, not us.
0 Replies

respected85

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:26 pm
@Hollybc,
I think u should definitely address your concerns to him to make sure the both of y'all are on the same page. If he dismisses ur feelings and insecurity's with no remorse then you should really rethink the whole marriage thing.
Hollybc

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:00 am
@respected85,
Thank you for your advice. I am going to speak to him to see how he feels
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 06:34 am
@Hollybc,
Why should he want to get married?
You moved in with him, set up household and played at marriage. He's got all the benefits, with no risk.

Move out and set up your own apartment.
Hollybc

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 08:49 am
@PUNKEY,
You are absolutely right. It was stupid of me to move in with him thinking he would want to then get married. If I want to get married I should find someone who shares the same values as me.
Germlat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:25 pm
@Hollybc,
Hollybc wrote:

You are absolutely right. It was stupid of me to move in with him thinking he would want to then get married. If I want to get married I should find someone who shares the same values as me.

Don't play the angry card though...many people try each other out. But-- the worst thing you can do is give him a guilt trip. Talk--determine if you're on the same page. If he's unsure...go back to dating. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't .
Hollybc

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 02:37 am
@Germlat,
I spoke to him last night and I ended up crying the whole time. He also ended up crying and said he is deeply sorry and didn't mean to say anything to hurt me. He said he wants to marry me and loves me very much. He begged me not to be mad at him and not to be sad. He said all he wants is to do it right. He said marriage to him is just a price of paper and not proof of love. He said all he wants is for us to be happy. I feel really guilty now cos he never slept last night and he is being clingy.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 06:51 am
Don't listen to what he SAYS.

Watch what he DOES (like marrying you!)

PS You feel GUILTY? or do you pity him? That's not a good feeling to have for an upcoming spouse-to-be. Sure you think he's "the one"?

Germlat

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:18 am
@Hollybc,
Hollybc wrote:

I spoke to him last night and I ended up crying the whole time. He also ended up crying and said he is deeply sorry and didn't mean to say anything to hurt me. He said he wants to marry me and loves me very much. He begged me not to be mad at him and not to be sad. He said all he wants is to do it right. He said marriage to him is just a price of paper and not proof of love. He said all he wants is for us to be happy. I feel really guilty now cos he never slept last night and he is being clingy.

Well--If it means nothing to him but a piece of paper, then why does he want to do it "right". That's a contradiction. If he loves you and you have expressed this is important to you(even if he assigns no value to it), then why not do it for you? I think he's stalling....call he's bluff. Tell him you don't care to do it "right" as far as a big party, ring, etc. Say you simply want to be his wife. I bet he'll try to convince you that he is postponing it so he can give you the wedding you deserve ....as long as he can continue to keep moving the target into the future. Sounds like he's not ready for marriage but doesn't want to lose you. But--for you this can also mean that he remains undecided when you clearly are not...you're in two different places and he might never get to where you are. You may decide to give him time to get to where you are, but don't let some guy string you along.
Germlat

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:25 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Don't listen to what he SAYS.

Watch what he DOES (like marrying you!)

PS You feel GUILTY? or do you pity him? That's not a good feeling to have for an upcoming spouse-to-be. Sure you think he's "the one"?

Ditto that....Also--some guys are great manipulators .
0 Replies

Hollybc

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:27 am
@Germlat,
Wow that's some good advice. Everything you said is so true. I have told him I don't care for an expensive ring or wedding and that I just want to be more than his girlfriend, I want to be his wife and he keeps stalling saying I need to meet his mum first before we get engaged ( she lives in another country ) but he keeps pushing the date that we visit her further away. I love him and I don't want to force him to marry me so I'm just going to accept that he may never ask. Just as long as I know he loves me.
0 Replies