1 in 5 women get raped?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:45 am
@BillRM,
No it's not, as far as I'm concerned if someone goes to all the time and effort to change their gender their decision should be respected. For an atheist you sure sound like a tub thumping evangelist when it comes to treating people who are different with respect.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
Why are you arguing over this? I know not everybody can afford to live in a home where only one parent works. I live in these times and I am observant. I watch my grandchildren for that very reason which is why the bus stops at my house. I was not referring to your daughter and her daughter, I was talking about that school situation you posted where the girls are hit on by pedophiles walking home. I felt sorry for them. If it is not practical for that school, then OK.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:59 am
@revelette2,
I'm arguing because you sounded very much as if you were telling a bunch of parents in Manchester what they should do. In an ideal world then maybe there would be a parent at home, but we don't live in an ideal world.

I never thought you were referring to my unmarried, childless, daughter. She's at university, and has her future career to think of.
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:10 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
as I'm concerned if someone goes to all the time and effort to change their gender their decision

I have no problem with anyone going under the knife to be turn into a to me phony male or female if they desire to do so.

I do have a problem if someone who is or just about to become a sexual partner of mine not informing me of that person birth and XY standing.before any sexual contact.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:34 am
@izzythepush,
No, you simply are quick to take a post and make into an insult. How many times do I have to agree that I know parents can't be home before you get through your head that I have said it? If it is a young child, then arrangement must be made for a responsible caregiver to be with the child when she or he gets off the bus and at home or wherever it is the child is staying until the parents come get them. If those things are not done, then it is neglect and unlawful, at least here it is and for good reason. If the child is old enough depending on the state or county laws, then there are precautions which should be taken in case of an emergency the child can quickly get help.

I don't know what should be done in that school in Manchester, it sounds like a crises. I made a suggestion, if it is not workable for the parents of that school, then OK. I said that several times now. If I had a child there, I would simply make arrangements until the situation improves which was my main point.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:33 pm
One of many nutso aspects of the its on us campaign and pledge is that almost always it is only the two people involved who have access to the consent parameters of the encounter, yet the state expect bystanders to determine the consent and then act as agents of the state to stop the encounter if the state would not approve. But it is only going to be a guess. What the program of the state ends up to be is state pressure for the masses to further act as if the word of the one taking the victim label is gospel and as well to assume that the one we imagine is a victim is in fact a victim.

I am surprised that lately the feminist/state cooperative is being more clear that we shoukd act as if those that we imagine to be victims should be treated as invalids without the rights of self determination. Its on us carries on with this theme.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:34 pm
@BillRM,
If you couldn't tell and wouldn't know unless they told you it shouldn't be an issue. You're the bigoted one using words like 'phony' to describe them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:37 pm
@revelette2,
It did sound very much like you were telling people what to do. I never thought you were insulting anyone.

And you did assume that because buses drop kids off at their front door where you live they do it all over the world.
Miller

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:20 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Fourteen is barely a teenager ...

The 14 yr old teen of today's youth is not the 14 year old teen you knew, as a kid. In the "old days", 14 yr olds knew little about sex and pregnancy and only a few even knew or even used a condom. Today, kids are encouraged to obtain protection against the HPV agent and young ladies are encouraged to have IUDs inserted early in life to protect them against an unwanted pregnancy.

While some young teens have been attacked on their way home from school, most parents are concerned with their young teens behavior, once they are home and "playing around" either on the internet or with other kids in the privacy of their homes. I suspect most teen misconduct takes place right in their homes and not out on the streets.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Ok, wish I never replied. Should've known. I merely thought it would help the situation in which you described. You assumed because buses do not drop off kids at their homes, they don't do it all over the world.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:00 pm
@Miller,
My eldest daughter is sick, she has a disease, so I help raise my oldest granddaughter, she will soon be 12. I am aware children of today are more aware than they used to be. I am also aware of the dangers of the internet. All of these issues are equally important.

In any event, we have strayed from the subject at hand.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:18 pm
@revelette2,
I was talking about buses in Manchester, the news item was about Manchester. I wasn't assuming anything.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:43 pm
@izzythepush,
You didn't really make the clear, but your right, you would be talking about the 14 year olds who go to school at Manchester.

http://able2know.org/topic/257742-19#post-5801757

The whole conversation has been a tempest in a tea cup.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:08 pm
@revelette2,
You're a very good and kind woman for helping out with your grandchildren.
revelette2

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 04:56 pm
@Miller,
Thank you, I wasn't asking for praise, but I appreciate it all the same.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:18 pm
Quote:
Virginia Wesleyan College Admits It Helped Accused Rapist, But Wants Him To Pay Damages
by Tyler Kingkade
10/30/2014

Virginia Wesleyan College admitted in a court filing Thursday that it helped a student it had found responsible for sexual assault by changing records of his punishment so he could transfer to another school.

The college, in Norfolk, Virginia, said it's not to blame for the rape of a woman student who this month sued the school for $10 million. Virginia Wesleyan asked in separate motions filed in Norfolk Circuit Court that the lawsuit be dismissed and that the assailant it identified as Robert Roe be added as a defendant. The school acknowledged it found the assailant responsible for the Aug. 25, 2012, assault and expelled him, but later changed records of the punishment to withdrawal to "assist him in seeking further studies."

Virginia Wesleyan was among schools named in a Huffington Post article this month that allowed sexual offenders to transfer to other schools with no indication of misconduct history on their record. Advocates said college disciplinary systems operate independent of one another and have uneven disclosure standards, allowing serial offenders to move elsewhere and avoid punishment.

Virginia Wesleyan, in its response to the lawsuit filed by the woman under the pseudonym Jane Doe, said it was not the cause of injuries or distress for Doe. It was Roe's "acts," and he should be responsible for damages, the school's court filing said.

"In one breath the school says the assault was abhorrent, but in the next breath they blame the victim, Jane Doe, by saying she 'assumed the risk and was contributorily negligent,'" the woman's lawyer, Jonathan Halperin, told HuffPost.

Virginia Wesleyan noted it did not have a duty to "warn or protect" a student from criminal acts committed by a third-party -- another student. The school's response to the lawsuit is similar to the answer of Emerson College in Boston to a lawsuit filed against it by a reported sexual assault victim.

"I am sure parents and students will find this position comforting," Halperin said of the Virginia Wesleyan response.

Doe filed a complaint with the college after she was assaulted, saying she had been drugged and raped. Virginia Wesleyan said Doe's lawsuit does "not fully state the circumstances surrounding the alleged events."

The college court filing confirmed some of Doe's claims through an Oct. 1, 2012, medical report. The report notes that Doe went out on Aug. 24, 2012, and awoke the next morning with her pants down and bleeding around her vaginal area.

The college requested the court to select a jury from outside Virginia's Hampton Roads area due to media coverage.

The transfer of sexual offenders from one school to another is drawing fresh concern in the case of Jesse Matthew Jr. in Virginia. Matthew was accused of sexual assault at two colleges in Virginia, but never faced criminal charges. He's now jailed on charges of abducting and defiling University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, whose body was discovered this month, and was indicted on separate charges related to a 2005 rape in Fairfax, Virginia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/virginia-wesleyan-lawsuit_n_6077780.html

The female student's sexual assault claims, which were found to be substantiated by the university, involved a "brutal rape" that went on for a number of hours. It occurred on her third day of freshman orientation.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/sex-assault-lawsuit/16906309/
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:49 pm
@firefly,
Thanks for the documentation that one allegation is supposed to be a permanent university career ender.
Miller

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 12:48 am

Registered Sex Offender Emerges as Star College Football Player
Oct 28, 2014, 11:48 AM ET
By MEGAN CHUCHMACH and BRIAN ROSS

A registered sex offender has emerged as a star player on a top tier college football team, resuming his athletic career after being expelled from the Air Force Academy where he was court-martialed for sexual assault.

No NCAA rule prevents a person with a criminal conviction from playing college athletics, a spokesperson told ABC News. It is left up to the individual college or conference to determine eligibility.

Jamil Cooks, 23, enrolled at Alcorn State in Mississippi, a Division One NCAA school, after being found guilty in April 2013 of abusive sexual contact in a court martial proceeding at the Air Force Academy, which required him to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

Cooks' lawyer, Richard Stevens, says he is appealing the conviction.

The ability of Cooks to continue his football career despite being a sexual predator is only the latest example of distorted priorities that involve sexual violence, said Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York.

"I think it’s wrong that they’re allowed to continue to play," she told ABC News.

Officials at the Air Force Academy said the court-martial and dismissal of Cooks was part of an effort to end a culture in which sexual assault had gone unreported or tolerated.

“It’s disappointing,” said Air Force Academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. Michelle Johnson about the ability of Cooks to continue to play high-level college athletics. "That’s not what we tolerate here.”

Cooks was one of two members of the Air Force Academy football team court-martialed for sexual assault as part of a sweeping, controversial investigation that also led to the resignations or dismissals of 15 other cadets. Johnson was appointed superintendent after the investigation

A smiling photo of Cooks appears on Mississippi’s Sex Offender Registry, with his home address listed as a dormitory at Alcorn State, a small historically black college.

Cooks, a defensive end, was named Alcorn State Player of the Week after he "recorded six tackles, one sack, and three tackles for a loss in the Braves 55-7 victory over Virginia University of Lynchburg" in September.

In October, Cooks was named “newcomer of the week” by the Southwest Athletic Conference following his performance in an Alcorn State victory over Texas Southern.

A spokesperson said the school “had no issues with Cooks enrollment” but declined to say whether female students had been notified of Cooks presence, citing privacy concerns for Cooks. The president of Alcorn State, Dr. Alfred Rankins, Jr., did not return repeated requests for comment.

In a written statement late Tuesday to ABC News, the school said, “The safety and well being of all Alcorn State University students is the top priority for our university. We are in full compliance with the federal Clery Act, which mandates requirements for campus safety and notifications.” Cooks is listed as an offender on a page on the school's website.

A general statement from President Rankins on the school website boasts of Alcorn State “scoring gains in athletics.”

“If you’ve been convicted of sexual assault or rape you shouldn't be allowed to play on the team,” said Sen. Gillibrand, who is calling on the NFL, NCAA and the military to do more to protect victims from sexual predators.

She said the NCAA rules that allow convicted sexual offenders to play should be changed.

“It shows that there is not a value put on the person who the crime was committed against," she told ABC News.

In a statement, Richard Stevens, Cooks’ lawyer, says "the reporting about Jamil’s case has not only been inaccurate, it has been, in my opinion, irresponsible journalism."

Cooks was convicted of abusive sexual contact but found not guilty of aggravated sexual assault and sodomy.

Stevens said Cooks' accuser made her allegations because she "was upset and angry that he didn't want a more serious, committed, and public relationship with her."

Stevens said it is getting more difficult to "ensure fair trials in the military" because politicians and others "are continuously trying to make the military justice system more about pre-determined and politically palatable outcomes than about a search for the truth or actual justice."

[Editor's Note: A previous version of this story incorrectly reported a charge of sodomy against Cooks had been dropped. He was found not guilty on that charge. The story has been updated
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Thanks for the documentation that one allegation is supposed to be a permanent university career ender.

It wasn't an allegation, they found him responsible for sexually assaulting her--a penetrative sexual assault--they are still saying he's responsible for sexually assaulting her, that's why they want him added as the defendant in her lawsuit.

And they did expel him, they actually falsified their own records by changing it to he withdrew. Why should the fact he was responsible for a sexual assault, and expelled, be concealed from any school he might transfer to? He presents a potential danger on any campus he transfers to, and the transfer school should be made aware of that.

You don't solve the problem of campus sexual assault by simply letting the offender move to another school, free to continue the same crimes there, and conceal the fact he had been expelled for sexual assault, which was what necessitated the transfer. There is no reason this information should not be made known to the transfer school--it is an issue for them to consider in terms of their campus safety.

It's not necessarily a permanent university career ender. Jamil Cooks is a registered sex offender, as a result of being kicked out of the Air Force Academy for assaultive sexual conduct, and he was still accepted at Acorn College, where he's on the football team--and there is controversy about that. But at least Acorn College knew about his past when they accepted him.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ny-pol-blasts-ncaa-allowing-sex-offender-play-football-article-1.1990489

Quote:
The transfer of sexual offenders from one school to another is drawing fresh concern in the case of Jesse Matthew Jr. in Virginia. Matthew was accused of sexual assault at two colleges in Virginia, but never faced criminal charges. He's now jailed on charges of abducting and defiling University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, whose body was discovered this month, and was indicted on separate charges related to a 2005 rape in Fairfax, Virginia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/virginia-wesleyan-lawsuit_n_6077780.html

Miller

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 01:06 am
An Air Force Academy cadet has been convicted by a court martial panel on a sexual assault charge and kicked out of the military.

gazette.com

Air Force Academy cadet Jamil Cooks, who pleaded guilty last week to unlawfully entering women’s dorm rooms at the academy, was convicted by a court martial panel on a charge of abusive sexual contact, the academy announced Sunday morning.

The panel acquitted Cooks on charges of forcible sodomy and aggravated sexual assault.

The academy junior, a one-time football standout and Sierra High School graduate who has been a pre-trial lockup since December, was sentenced to time served and dismissal from the Air Force.

“Because cadet Cooks has already been confined longer than the sentence imposed, cadet Cooks has subsequently been released,” the academy said in a news release.

Cooks was charged in the sexual assault case after a woman came forward in early 2012 and said he had forced her into sex acts in an academy dorm room. The woman said the incident happened in May 2011.

The Gazette does not typically name accusers in sexual assault cases.

Cooks wound up in more trouble late last year, when he was accused of unlawfully entering the dorm rooms of two female cadets.

Cooks admitted the unlawful entry charges, but contested the sexual assault charges. His attorney said the accuser targeted Cooks after he declined to be her boyfriend.

While Cooks is out of the academy, it was unclear Sunday if he would be asked to repay the government for his education, a charge that could top $100,000 for every year at the school.

Before the charges, Cooks, a linebacker, appeared to have a bright future on the academy’s football team. As a sophomore, Cooks made 29 solo tackles, including two and half sacks. He was also credited with an interception.

Cooks was penned in as a starter for the 2012 season before he was held off the team.

Comment Policy
Colorado Springs Gazette has disabled the comments for this article.