Potty-Mouthed Princesses Drop F-Bombs for Feminism by FCKH8.com

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 04:54 pm
Strong Language Warning - use your headphones if you have sensitive souls in your vicinity.

Saw this on facebook this morning - I think it raises a couple of interesting issues, intentionally and unintentionally.

Understandably opinion is widely divided on it (in terms of delivery if not message). Waiting to be surprised by the reactions of A2Kers I thought I'd pigeonholed.

Better quality on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/109731596

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 38,299 • Replies: 573

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:12 pm
@hingehead,
It's too long for me. Just give me the last minute/minute and a bit.

I'd tuned out before the sales pitch kicked in. Had to restart at around 50 seconds and then watch again.

(little girls' voices - I've got a very short period of tolerance for them)
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:23 pm
@hingehead,
There is a lot of exploitation going on in that video, for the message, the fundraising and the imagery.

It works because it gets people to keep listening to the message just to hear the girls flinging f bombs. It doesn't work because the makers of the video are doing exactly what their message rants against.

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:39 pm
@ehBeth,
That's interesting Beth, about the voices, rather than the rude words/culture shock.
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hi BFN

Quote:
It works because it gets people to keep listening to the message just to hear the girls flinging f bombs.

I'm wondering if people grasp the message past the shock value, certainly the comments on Facebook largely overlooked the message and just complained about little girls swearing. The T-shirt thing cheapens it.

Quote:
It doesn't work because the makers of the video are doing exactly what their message rants against.

I don't quite agree - I don't think they're raping girls, or necessarily paying them less than their male counterparts. Certainly a lot of facebook commentary called it exploitative.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:46 pm
@hingehead,
I have trouble with the women announcer's voices on football broadcasts.. screech screech higher.
I also have trouble with a lot of the men's voices too, not to be sexist, especially the play by play announcers, rampant hysterics. This even happens in golf, for **** sake.

I'm not in the mood to watch this yet, even if I can get to see it with my mac.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:09 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
"Why don't you teach boys not to rape???"

This video is angry, dogmatic, illogical and anti-male. It is a perfect example of my view of feminism.

I understand that this video targets the converted... people who are already feminist. It might sell some t-shirts.

This type of message is the reason that you see such a backlash against feminism from women and progressives. It isn't going to persuade any of us to want to be feminists. Are there any videos that portray a positive, constructive view of feminism (I would honestly love to see them)?

I wouldn't want my daughter to have anything to do with this. I were a feminist this video would horrify me.
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:25 pm
@maxdancona,
I think it's interesting that you think you get to define what feminism is.

I'm interested in what you think your daughter can do to get an equal wage and avoid being one of the 20% of women who are raped - personally I think it's less up to her and more up to us.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c8/d9/83/c8d983c300495a17a143bdff304e4e33.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:32 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I think it's interesting that you think you get to define what feminism is.

Yes, I do get to define what feminism is for me. And my definition is based largely of the messages I hear from self-proclaimed feminists. If you want my support, you need to give me a message that resonates with me. This isn't it.

I am the target audience. I am a progressive male. I am the father of a daughter. I am against rape, pro-choice and I want to see pay equity. I certainly believe that women should be treated equally to men.

Yet feminism turns me off. When I hear the word "feminism" I wince because the word has been associated with anger, illogical arguments and anti-male sentiments.

I support movements and ideas that make sense to me. I am not obligated to jump on the feminism bandwagon, or any other bandwagon.

Videos like this illustrate perfectly why feminism (as it is commonly practiced in 21st century America) turns me off. It is angry, anti-male and illogical.

(Incidently the 20% of women raped figure is propaganda and is scientifically inaccurate. Do I need to add the disclaimer that I am against rape? It is just that if you want my support, you should act least make sure your arguments are factually correct. I don't like being manipulated.)
Bentinie

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:07 pm
@hingehead,
The video is unusual and entertaining with a positive message worth hearing. We are shocked that's its coming from juveniles, which would turn many off. If I had a very young daughter, I would die before allowing her to act in such a video. Still, I would recommend it to adults but never to young girls and boys.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Indeed.

Videos like this does not send a message - it sends a virus that destroys people's hearts and minds.

This video is the equivalent of spraying toxins on our fruit and vegetables making them "bigger", but in every case of human history, people going for "bigger" and "better" made everything go to ****. Geniuses kept things simple and natural - perhaps we should stop letting our hearts and emotions become victim to these obviously hateful ill-resources and start commanding ourselves to look for the people who actually know how to fix us, this world through actual knowledge based on reason, not the illusion of knowledge based on emotion.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, I have no problem with you having an opinion - but to say the above is an example of what's wrong with feminism is equivalent to saying terrorism is what's wrong with Islam. Or that crime is what's wrong african americans. Or Christians are bad because; Hitler. You are besmirching everyone who has that label with the actions of a few you don't like.

You might think it's a scientifically innacurate number but I'm guessing the figure you have in your head is convictions, or even reports of rapes. If you think that accounts for all or even a significant majority of rapes you are living in a lovely fluffy fairyland. Good luck to you.
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:39 pm
@Bentinie,
Interesting point - about selecting the audience I mean. I too would be uncomfortable showing it widely (thus my warnings on the post). I am curious about who would be effective with.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:42 pm
@hingehead,
HH, do note that dogma is a tricky lot. The reason being is that let's say Christians for an example, since you brought them up. The majority may not kill millions of people, while the minority does, but their dogma still turns them into hateful creatures that can turn into the minority at any time. Let's be honest, some people don't kill because it's humanity - then there are those who are too stupid or scared to go through with it. But they do harbor the right factors of hate to go down that road. Just because they say they don't kill, doesn't mean their belief system isn't catering to the evil side of their character rather than good side, hence their hateful and resentful demeanor towards anyone that doesn't share their beliefs remotely. Also, those who say everyone's beliefs are fine are wannabe denominations who do not have even 1% of their brain caught up in the dogma. It's just secular nuances, really.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:48 pm
@hingehead,
I'm not at my computer where I can replay the video and detail out the points of exploitation for you. Will do so tomorrow. It is much more than the lines about equal pay and rape. I'm hoping I can find a captioned version so we can read the text without the distraction of the video images.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:50 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Max, I have no problem with you having an opinion - but to say the above is an example of what's wrong with feminism is equivalent to saying terrorism is what's wrong with Islam. Or that crime is what's wrong african americans. Or Christians are bad because; Hitler. You are besmirching everyone who has that label with the actions of a few you don't like.

There are strong Muslim voices who are condemning terrorism and presenting a positive view of Islam. They are working across communities, and building bridges with other beliefs.

There are many videos (I could link to any of thousands) presenting a positive, inclusive view of Islam. Most of what I hear from Feminists (especially here) are angry demands that I should fall into line and join them.

Where are the Feminist voices who are presenting a positive, inclusive message?

I would love to see such a video, if there is one.

hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, you don't need a video - look in the mirror

Maxdancona wrote:
I certainly believe that women should be treated equally to men.

You are a feminist.

addendum
http://everydayfeminism.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/106045766196057016_faB0crtr_f.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:54 pm
@hingehead,
The reason the 1 in 5 figure is scientifically invalid propaganda is a little off topic. I have started a new thread on the topic (which you are welcome to join).

http://able2know.org/topic/257742-1
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:56 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Max, you don't need a video - look in the mirror

Maxdancona wrote:
I certainly believe that women should be treated equally to men.

You are a feminist.

There you go, doing exactly what I said you would do.

The word feminism is in my mind associated with anti-male, angry dogma of the kind you see in this video. I don't want anything to do with feminism. At least not as the word is commonly used.

No thanks.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:59 pm
@hingehead,
Uh, don't throw around terms like that, HH.

There's a possibility the term "equal" is applying to an entirely reasonable context you're not seeing because you're caught up in the feminist idea of "equal".

As I always tell people, A world of labels is a world that's unstable.

A world of examples is everyone's fable.
0 Replies