Why do people try to stop others from killing themselves?

ATG

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 06:52 pm
I seriously don't get it. I feel like people should have the right to kill themselves if they so wish. It's not like they're hurting anybody, it's a victimless crime, in fact! Even though I'm sure everyone will disagree. I think it's selfish to try and stop somebody from killing themselves. It's their choice! If they're dead, they won't be able to feel pain or work for like 10 cents an hour. I also found out that they're building a suicide net on the Golden Gate bridge. Looks like I'm gonna have to bring a blow torch with me when I jump off of there...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,016 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed
No top replies

chai2

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:25 pm
@ATG,
Make sure you're wearing white panties when you do it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:29 pm
@ATG,
Yes, it's their choice, but sometimes they've made the decision to commit suicide on a whim and the very next day things could look much clearer and more optimistic. People who have been talked out of committing suicide, rarely kill themselves later on. They get psychological help, remain in therapy and see things quite differently a few weeks down the road.

They get a new lease on life and they're grateful for it.

It's human nature to help save a life - regardless if it's by accident or self inflicted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:40 pm
There are times suicide should be allowable. But not as you describe it. CJ's post makes a lot of sense. Don't jump just on a whim.
0 Replies

MWal

Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:47 pm
I would rather prove to you that you are happy and life is absolute love and you just need to be part of it. If you kill yourself you'll just be reborn cause I love you.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:13 am
@ATG,
Golden Gate, eh? I've heard of a few survivors who said they were relieved as they had changed their minds as soon as they became airborne.

0 Replies

Krumple

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:24 am
@ATG,
ATG wrote:

I seriously don't get it. I feel like people should have the right to kill themselves if they so wish. It's not like they're hurting anybody, it's a victimless crime, in fact! Even though I'm sure everyone will disagree. I think it's selfish to try and stop somebody from killing themselves. It's their choice! If they're dead, they won't be able to feel pain or work for like 10 cents an hour. I also found out that they're building a suicide net on the Golden Gate bridge. Looks like I'm gonna have to bring a blow torch with me when I jump off of there...

Although I agree with you, that it should be a choice I don't think you are understanding the reasoning that some people might provide. For good example some people get into a funk but if they had some encouraging words or advice they might see things differently. There are so many stories where people were considering suicide but were given some advice which changed their life and they are later thankful for that.

I don't believe in an after life so my philosophy has always been that things can work themselves out, they can't be bad all the time, eventually something good will happen given the time and patience. Since you only live one life why not just struggle if you have to and give it all you can because your odds of making something happen are better than just giving up.

So for me it isn't that I am being selfish but instead I am just trying to offer another perspective, one that might just help the person see that they have options and that someone actually cares enough to give them that option. Sometimes all they really needed was to find someone who cares.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:38 am
@ATG,
Quote:
It's not like they're hurting anybody, it's a victimless crime

Only if we dont need their services. If we the collective invest 30 years into making a doctor for example maybe they should not have the right to say " **** it" and check out.

Quote:
I think it's selfish to try and stop somebody from killing themselves
certainly, bit that does not make it wrong.

Quote:
It's their choice
Only if the collective says so.

Quote:
I also found out that they're building a suicide net on the Golden Gate bridge
And a pretty pricy one. However I imagine that it cost a lot of money to fish bodies out of the bay, so are costs probably go down if they use more common methods.

http://i.gyazo.com/75a7b4762afd918dfec6d4544434b4b2.png
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:40 am
@ATG,
Many if not most people who wish to kill themselves really just want to put an end to pain, and if there was an alternative method to do so they would take it. I think people should be free to end their own lives, but I also think they should first explore all of the alternatives for freeing them of their pain.

If someone wants to die because they can no longer endure the crushing weight of anxiety and/or depression, but find that simply taking a pill once a day, or speaking with a professional once a week will relieve them of that weight, I can guarantee you that they will be very happy to remain alive.

It's not at all selfish to try and persuade someone to explore alternatives. The world isn't a better place with chronically and deeply depressed people in it and I'm sure that there are statistics that can show that this condition has a fairly significant cost to society. The "selfish" approach would be to urge them to kill themselves: one less mopey person in the world to kill the buzz the rest of us get to enjoy. One less lousy worker to screw up the goods and services we buy. One less desperate soul clogging up this forum with pleas for help.

What do you call the action of people who yell "Jump!" to a person perched at the edge of a roof 20 stories up? Encouragement? Understanding?

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:07 am
@ATG,
What most people don't realize is that their personal decision to commit suicide is based often on wrong information.

What may seem a crisis today and hopeless may not be tomorrow or the next day. When one has good health and the ability to move forward, it's a life worth saving.

This is a post on another forum on a2k. This individual's life didn't seem he had a future, but look what happened.
Quote:
"A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.

0 Replies

Eliusa

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 08:53 am
@ATG,
Because if they do it so they can be stopped - it means they want to be stopped.
If I want to kill myself I would make sure I can't be stopped. Wouldn't you?
No you want to jump from the bridge. So someone will stop you, don't be stupid!
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 09:15 am
@ATG,
You are incorrect that it is not hurting anybody and that it is victimless - ask the family of someone who commited suicide if they are not hurt. Ask a child whose dad killed himself if they are not harmed for life. Ask a parent of a child that killed themself. It is actually selfish to commit suicide for those you are leaving behind.

And suicide is a long term solution to what is typically a short term problem. Think of a teen that is having a misearable time in high school - often times things turn around when they are in college or as a young adult. Teens can have a hard time to imagine that this is just the current situation and that it will change.

Granted a person conteplating suicide is most likely in such a state of depression that they are likely not thinking rationally and/or cannot envision anything getting better - that is why people should try to stop others from killing themselves.

This of course, is different than a medical reason - ie someone with a terminal and painful illness.
unnormal9

Wed 9 Aug, 2023 06:41 am
@ATG,
Because they are narcissistic psychopaths who thrive off power and control—hence, no volition, no autonomy. They want control of another, typically the most vulnerable. I've been one, lived through it. 3 years in the psych ward and I have no voice to speak of the pain in there. Why? Because its just summed up to patient = mentally ill, he has no voice, don't listen to him. It was justify so as long as he still draws breath.
0 Replies

unnormal9

Wed 9 Aug, 2023 06:45 am
@Linkat,
And what do you say to those who DON'T HAVE ANYONE in their life, like me, who grew up in foster care and tossed around families as they see you as profit?

At my age now, I have nobody, who am I leaving behind. Since you know everything about people, tell me who I'm leaving behind. You clearly confidently you know everything about me to say such a thing so fervently.

Calling me XYZ won't change a thing. Me, as an adult who've planned my method, and not doing it on impulse, this is my right, my right to choose.
0 Replies