Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:23 pm
Hi,

My mother and I have gotten into an argument a few months ago and haven't spoken to each other since. It's not something that I necessarily mind but my father has been pressuring me into talking to her again, saying that if I won't he will cut ties with me. That is something that I don't want to happen. I don't know what to do because my quality of living has increased a lot more now that my mom doesn't judge and criticise my every move..
Help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 316 • Replies: 3
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:33 pm
Talk to your dad. Tell him you'll talk to her but you're sick and tired of her criticizing you. Tell him that if she starts he should be warned that you'll hang up on her. Then do it. That way, it's on her head, not yours.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:36 pm
@miryamvermaat,
Knowing nearly nothing about your circumstances, there is little we can tell you. Are you over 18? Do you still live with your folks? Do your parents still live together? Are you financially dependent on your mother? Do you have siblings who are?

See why this might be tough for us?

We are also only seeing your side of things. Not that everyone deserves to be judged all the time, but we have no idea if you're exaggerating any of this.

So here's a generic response to a rather generic post. A few months is a long time to not be speaking to a parent. Absent abuse (hard to say if the critiquing is abuse or not, given the paucity of information), it's generally time to reconcile. Don't want things to be the way they were? Then condition your forgiveness on that. Tell your mother, "I want to start talking to you again but I don't want things to be the way they were before. I want things to be different."

And see what happens. She might say you're being reasonable. She might say you're ungrateful. The silent treatment might continue even longer.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:33 pm
Are you avoiding an in-person talk or visit - or is this over the phone?

Let your father be the buffer or referee.

I agree with Jespah, Let EVERYONE know the terms of the "talk" are to be cordial and friendly and certain subjects are taboo (your life)

PS - What do you mean by your "quality of life" has improved?

0 Replies