THE IMPOSSIBLE CLAIM?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:24 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

mark noble wrote:

"Longer" than what? If they were destined to die 'at the moment suggested - Floor-Impact-Trauma' then they would not have endured beyond that point anyhow.?

Longer than some one that just jumped off a 10 story building.
but not as long as someone who had the wisdom to jump off an 11 story building
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually smoking has many impacts to one's health beyond lung cancer and there are no health benefits whatsoever for smoking.

Flossing actually helps one health by preventing bacteria from entering the body via plaque build up. You may not believe it but it helps prevent heart disease among other things.

And with so many car accidents and individuals being in the car so much - wearing a seatbelt saves lives. Just simple common sense.

It wasn't a wisecrack - it was a funny remark but with truth behind it.

And why the heck did it make you so angry?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:36 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And why the heck did it make you so angry?

Where in the heck did you come up with the notion that I was "angry"? Amused, yes. Entertained, yes. But angry?
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't know it sounded angry for some reason maybe because you looked like Uncle Leo with the angry eyebrows.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXEsOu5gin-2z9wY29uvQRQiowSj8NyZoqXOSAVcl_-iubWsb0

I don't know why - but when I was reading your comment that was all I envisioned.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm definitely not going to ignore the results of the research that's been done on the correlation between gum disease and heart disease. Not sure I'm convinced about some of the possible reasons for the relationship but I'm gonna keep on flossing (and adding plaque remover to the dogs' water).
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Funny about the dog -- but vets now insist on you brushing dogs teeth again because of the health benefits and increased life expentancy as a result or good oral hygene.

But seriously your mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria. I had looked into this after getting some sort of serious bacteria in a tooth where it began to eat away at the bone a little - they were not able to save the tooth but we stopped it before it became more serious.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I also use a water pick at least twice a day, and brush my teeth three times a day.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:44 pm
@Linkat,
I've tried brushing the dogs' teeth. I was not victorious.

- the vet originally recommended it 15 or so years ago since the old boy dog has a heart murmur and it would be dangerous to attempt surgery on him - keeping the dog's gums clean was recommended to keep his heart condition from worsening. He's almost 18 now - it's either the flossing, the harness in the car or something else entirely Laughing that has kept him going.
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ah you I predict will live to 92.375

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
See ehbeth has proven the theory.

Has your dog quit smoking? Probably has helped the old guy too. My daughter's job is to brush our dog's teeth. We buy peanut butter flavored toothpaste - he loves it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I never flossed in my life. In my time it just wasn't a big thing; I don't even remember my dentist recommending it. I've smoked cigarettes most of my adult life (I don't recommend that to anybody). I wear a seatbelt in a car only because the law requires it and in Hawaii the fines for non-compliance are heavy. I doubt that it has ever been of any benefit to me or ever will be. In about two months, I turn 76 years old.

Don't get me wrong. I think all these things are good advice for anyone concerned with their health and well-being. I think it's disingenuous, however, to imply they somehow have some connection to longevity.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I never flossed in my life. In my time it just wasn't a big thing;
I don't even remember my dentist recommending it.
I've smoked cigarettes most of my adult life (I don't recommend that to anybody).
I wear a seatbelt in a car only because the law requires it
Was it the 195Os?? that I had them installed in my car
after my cousin's husband went thru the windshield of his car.

"Wise is he who learns from his mistakes,
but wiser is he who learns from the mistakes of others."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 06:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I never flossed in my life. In my time it just wasn't a big thing; I don't even remember my dentist recommending it.

dentists have been talking about flossing for at least 40 years - I've been getting those free floss samples since sometime in the 1970's

best part about going to the dentist? travel-size toothbrush, toothpaste and floss at every visit!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 06:39 pm
@ehBeth,
My dentist and hygenist also know I travel a lot, so they give me toothbrushes, small toothpaste, and floss.
0 Replies

MattWSpanjer

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:21 am
@mark noble,
Haha. Right on my friend. You got it Toyota! No "live forever drink" can or will ever be formulated. Take care of your body and listen to it. It does send quite direct messages if you are doing something wrong to it! God bless you. And a helpful tip as far as extending your life goes........ Quit smoking. Smoked for 4 years and haven't felt better in my life since quitting. Lost my grandmother when I was 2 years old to lung cancer in 1998. I am told I would have loved her to pieces. Sad
0 Replies

MattWSpanjer

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:24 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Good luck. Grandpa has cancer and not much longer to live. Hope you come to your senses sir. Honestly. Come on.
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 05:37 am
@MattWSpanjer,
I lost my dad to lung cancer - and he quit, but unfortunately it was too late.

Not to mention besides lung cancer, your risks of these cancer increase dramatically - including cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx (voice box), mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix. Besides cancer these other health risks - heart disease, stroke, fertility, tooth loss, cateracts, diabetes, arthritis, immunity - basically smoking negatively impacts every part of the body. According to the CDC is it the number 1 preventable cause of death in the US. I think my doctor had a tad bit of validity in mentioning not smoking as a guarantee to increasing your life and quality of life.

Aside from the health benefits - if you don't smoke your breathe smells better, you smell better - and cleaner, your skin doesn't age as quickly so overall not smoking you look better and smell a heck of lot better.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:50 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

But I can't imagine why you'd want to live that long if you had to live the kind of austere life I'd prescribe.

I agree with that conclusion. Low fat, low carbohydrate diets, no alcohol, no cigars, no cigs, no sitting for any length of time,do aerobic exercise each day, run till you drop...etc. You're so busy being"healthy" you don't have any time to LIVE...

Take a look at the guys doing this...and you'll see tired, worn-out old men ( at 45 years of age ).

I still don't see how "skin and bones" is the way to go...

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:25 am
@dalehileman,
As a footnote - AND A FOOTNOTE ALONE!!!
I agree - There cannot possibly BE enough icecream - For it is told!*
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
Cic, Are you really 79-yrs-old?
0 Replies