THE IMPOSSIBLE CLAIM?

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:22 am
David, I think you are being silly. Death is permanent. If somebody seems dead, and the doctor shakes his head, and the relative start weeping, the priest comes, etc, and then the EKG starts beeping, whatever, and later it happens again, only this time they get rotten and have to be buried or burned up, then they weren't actually dead the first time.
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:22 am
A stupid coward voted down my post.
carloslebaron

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 09:10 am
@contrex

Quote:
Of course you can't tell when any individual will die, but there have been studies done on whole populations which suggest that certain diets and foods can have an effect overall on life expectancy, which is calculated over a whole population.

More than food and exercises, the environment also plays an important factor. And also inheritance can't be ignored.

Maybe the following is out of topic, but I think it deserves to be included:

Studies on survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear explosions who were exposed to a low level of radiation, showed that these survivors enjoyed a longer longevity in comparison to the rest who were exposed to high radiation or none radiation.

(I wonder why the FDA is not approving "low radiation" pills...)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:38 am
@carloslebaron,
True. While listening to the radio this morning, there was a demonstration going on in Beijing where the air pollution was rated as dangerous.

From the US Embassy in Beijing.
Quote:
Particulates less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter (PM 2.5) are referred to as “fine” particulates and are believed to pose the largest health risks. PM 2.5 is a standard recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and allows us to compare against U.S. standard measures. PM 2.5 particulates are of concern since they are small enough to directly enter the lungs and even the blood stream. For more information, please visit the EPA site.

Their economy is booming while at the same time they are killing themselves.
Currently at 6.5 to 7%, they seem unable to change course in harming their own health and welfare.
mark noble

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 11:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
It is the epitome of civilisation (any lifeform). In times of abundance a creature expands in all directions.
It expands via consumption, procreation, territory, etc. With it comes increased negative by-products - Waste, overcrowding, occupational redundancy, crime, more and more.
Upon its belly it rolls, in the midday sun - Where once it hunted or foraged. Newborns frolick, their bellies bulge, 'pon more and more, they doth indulge.
Soon it needs greater horizons - And the resources cannot suffice.
It has 3 options.
1. Adapt.
2. Move on.
3. Die
1. Alter your mindset - Limit your populace - Balance resource production against demand and sustainability - KEEP IT BALANCED.
2. You can only move on while somewhere to move on to is still available.
3. Not an option taken 'lightly'
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 11:42 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

David, I think you are being silly. Death is permanent. If somebody seems dead, and the doctor shakes his head, and the relative start weeping, the priest comes, etc, and then the EKG starts beeping, whatever, and later it happens again, only this time they get rotten and have to be buried or burned up, then they weren't actually dead the first time.

That's correct. What David is talking about is usually referred to as a "near-death experience."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 11:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Not true; death occurs when there is no brain activity.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:30 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

You'll live longer if you 'eat this, drink that, stop doing the other' etc.
How can anyone possibly establish such twaddle? Nobody knows when you'll die.
"He'd have lived longer if only he'd blah blah blah'...
Impossible claim, or Not?

We are already living longer than ever. By using science, medicine, sanitation and a modern diet, humans have at least doubled our lifespan. We are now living longer than our ancestors would have ever though possible.

Just 100 years ago the life expectancy was 46 years. I have already past that age and expect to live another 30 years at least.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My weakness is ice cream and chocolate.
Oh boy me too, yessir, yeah; wow you can say that again Cis anytime, with my blessings, I don't care if it takes years off
dalehileman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:54 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
in Japan it is 82.6 years
Thanks Con for that report. Often wondered whether Japanese longevity owes to the difficulty engaging larger clumps of rice using chopsticks
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
Life expectancy of the top ten countries from Wiki.
Quote:

Rank Country Years Year
1. Monaco 85.66 2014 (Est.)
2. Singapore 81.86 2014 (Est.)
3. Macau 81.52 2014 (Est.)
4. Japan 81.13 2014 (Est.)
5. San Marino 80.64 2014 (Est.)
6. Andorra 80.51 2014 (Est.)
7. Guernsey 79.72 2014 (Est.)
8. Australia 79.63 2014 (Est.)
9. Hong Kong 79.54 2014 (Est.)
10. Liechtenstein 79.52 2014 (Est.

I'm now 79.22, and in pretty good health It's likely I'll pass Singapore, the second on the list. If I pass Monaco, I'm doing better than number one on that list. And, I eat ice cream, and smoke cigars every day when I'm in Cuba. LOL For lunch today, I went to Chipotle and had their chicken burrito with guacamole and a Corona beer. Couldn't finish the burrito. Mr. Green Drunk

Chipotle stock just increased by 1.4% today. Gotta go there more often.

Must be in my genes.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 02:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cis thank you for that listing. At 83 I've surpassed 'em all except Monaco

I wonder if there's a hidden message, something about gambling

Like you Cis I'm very much onto ice cream and beer

I'm sure it's in the genes
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 02:38 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
David, I think you are being silly.
U have accused me of worse than that, tho not recently.
Fortunately, I remain immune.

contrex wrote:
Death is permanent.
That is your arbitrary definition, to which I take exception.
That has not proven to be the case. U don t get to re-define English.
I grew up with the standard definition of no breathing
and no heartbeat for a few minutes = death.

We did not have EEGs back then.

There have been people who re-animate in morgues a few days later
after having been found devoid of EKG, EEG and of respiration.

contrex wrote:
If somebody seems dead, and the doctor shakes his head, and the relative start weeping, the priest comes, etc, and then the EKG starts beeping, whatever, and later it happens again, only this time they get rotten and have to be buried or burned up, then they weren't actually dead the first time.
That is your arbitrary re-definition.
I am keeping the old original one.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 02:42 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
A stupid coward voted down my post.
The stupid cowards r the worst ones.
The smart cowards r much nicer.
It happens to me all the time; I don t take it seriously.

David
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:01 pm
@mark noble,
My doctor has told me there are only 3 things that will guarantee you a longer life -- not smoking, wearing your seatbelt and flossing. The other stuff may increase your life/quality of life.
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:03 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

"Longer" than what? If they were destined to die 'at the moment suggested - Floor-Impact-Trauma' then they would not have endured beyond that point anyhow.?

Longer than some one that just jumped off a 10 story building.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
Your doctor has a fine sense of humor and a gift for the quip. I hope you didn't take that clever line as serious.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:07 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
If they were destined to die 'at the moment suggested

destined?

that's way too religious for me to consider
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No I didn't take it completely serious - but there is some truth behind it.

I think in part - these are simple things to do that will help your safety and health.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
There is no truth whatever behind the doctor's wisecrack. Not smoking and wearing a seat belt can only protect one from one particular type of death (and, actually, even that's not guaranteed as there are exceptions) and the inclusion of 'flossing' is just silly enough to alert you that it's a wisecrack, not advice.