Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:55 am
@roger,
I did stay home. Voted by mail days ago. Drunk
revelette2

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:03 pm
I usually don't get excited about mid-term elections, but I find myself cautiously excited this year in KY because Allison Grimes has a slim chance against Mitch McConnell this time. However, apparently Rove is bringing out the big guns against her, so her numbers might start slipping. Still going to vote. I have a hard time walking, but I might just break out in a jig...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
We still didn't receive our absentee ballot, so I emailed the county to find out when we could expect to receive it. My wife is getting a bit anxious.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I got two forms in the mail, sent me by two different Republican organizations. The ballot I received gave an inaccurate instruction how much postage to use. Some of us think that was to help discourage old folks' votes from making it there. Both organizations urged me to vote a straight Republican ticket. Naturally, I chose my own candidates to vote for.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
You folks in Texas have more problems on voting than most other states in the union. The political leadership in Texas is what the people wanted and voted for. I doubt very much things will change in Texas or our country; it's broken.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:24 pm
I voted against a proposition that would have transferred money out of the so-called rainy day fund for construction work on roads and highways. Why? Taking a page from the Republican book of tactics: Don't approve anything that helps the opposition do good or even look good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm filling out my request for absentee ballot (sitting on top of the pile of paper) and just checked, it's from the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund, non partisan, out of Washington, DC. Usually I just call the County Clerk's office, but since I already have the form from LCVE, that will save time.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:40 am
NO EXCUSES FOR NOT VOTING ! NONE ! PERIOD !
In many states, mine (Maine) included, you can vote right from home and/or vote early (even with the crappy efforts by the GOPers to reduce this). In Maine and other states, go online, request an absentee ballot in about one minute, hit a button, they send it to you, fill it out, mail it in right from home. DONE. I do it all the time, as I have already done this cycle too. Other states have other early voting options. Or, go to your town/city office and vote early there, or at your polling place during early voting. If you can't vote early, go on election day and take someone with you.

The stakes are so high. And this CRAP about Dems/Progressives not voting in mid terms is inexcusable. I will accept no nonsense either about "The Dems aren't being progressive enough, or they aren't "exciting enough"....wahh wahh wahh..." and using that foolishness as an excuse. Blaming the candidates, the party, etc. is just code language for "I want to be a complainer and blame others for my own apathy." Think about it. Complain, stay home, allow the evil incarnate TeaPublicans to win, then bitch louder and blame the Dems when the TeaPubs do evil things. Totally foolish. Total nonsense. Totally ridiculous, really. So please, there are HUGE differences between the parties, and even a moderate Dem is a thousand times better than any rotten TeaScumLican. If the absolute corrupt evil of the TeaPublicans isn't enough to motivate every single Dem/Progressive to take the few minutes necessary to vote, nothing will.

All this said, these will be CLOSE elections nonetheless, so if we do our job and just VOTE, we will be fine overall in this cycle. So many races are SO close. Imagine getting rid of that slimeball Walker in WI, Brownback in KS, Roberts in KS, winning even in SD, getting rid of snake head Scott in Fl, keeping NH and CO and LA and AR and AK senate seats blue, getting rid of the lunatic Paul LePage in my state of Maine...my goodness, it is just a no-brainer. GO VOTE, and GOTV for the party. I am. We all can. Thanks.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That was a quote.

NO EXCUSES FOR NOT VOTING ! NONE ! PERIOD ! - Democratic ...
www.democraticunderground.com/1251380593

No excuse for giving Bobsal a thumbs down.
JPB

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 09:07 am
I'm voting. There are two state constitutional referendums on my ballot and two advisory referendums that I want to weigh in on. There is also a closely contested governor's race and a too close to call race for the House seat in IL-10 between Dold (R) (won in 2012, lost in 2012) and Schneider. I voted for Dold in 2010 and against him on 2012. I'll be doing my little bit to keep him in his day job in 2014. Other than that I'll be voting for third party candidates.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:16 am
In my state, not one X on my ballot is for a likely winner, but that doesn't deter me from doing what is right, by my estimation.
revelette2

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:46 am
@edgarblythe,
No it doesn't, in fact there is a lot I admire in you in that you stick your positions regardless of who is president. I haven't always done the same.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:18 pm
@revelette2,
Most of my relatives ignore my posts on Facebook, because I share my opinions overmuch. But I gonna do what I gonna do.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:26 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I disagree with a lot of the details in your post, but totally agree with the major premise. Thumbs up!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
You wrote,
Quote:
In my state, not one X on my ballot is for a likely winner, but that doesn't deter me from doing what is right, by my estimation.

You're one of the few who understands that reelecting members of congress will get us nowhere. We need a complete turnover or the same problems will continue to fester. That's the conclusion I've made based on how destructive the current members of congress are - and they don't care.

Elections are a farce, and a waste of time. The majority will re-vote the same people with the same results. No to everything.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe if we vote enough of them out, the new ones will form the concept that we really are watching.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 02:25 pm
@roger,
That's been true for the past decade or so; nothing changes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:02 pm
@revelette2,
What did you think of her reply to the question of whether or not she voted for Obama in 2012? Did you buy her eventual "sanctity of the polling booth" reply?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's been said already. If you don't vote you have no right to complain. That doesn't seem to stop a lot of people who don't vote from complaining , but it should.

People make all sorts of excuses for not voting but it all comes down to laziness. Even if you hate the candidates, you can always write someone
s name in. If you don't have time or the inclination to study up on the individual candidates, you can vote for all the candidates of one party or the other. It's highly unlikely that any of the candidates most of us will have on our ballots will end up being party leaders or great statesmen. What they represent is another vote in congress for the Republican or Democrat vision of how best to run the country.

It is never a waste of time. Voting once a year is hardly a sacrifice, and it is such a blessing to live in a country where you can vote in relatively free and honest elections that you owe it not only to yourself, your family and your country to take the opportunity seriously, you owe to all of the billions of people around the world who would give up a lot to have our right to vote.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 12:46 am
@edgarblythe,
PDiddie commentary is somewhat overblown but he's correct about a lot of things.

I was able to get through the overblown bits because it's clear he's not trying to blame one "side" over the other; not viewing the political landscape as a battleground on which the forces of Good are losing to the forces of Evil.

Having said this, I should point out what I think are his most egrious cases of hyperbole:

Basic social service funding is not being "slashed." Perhaps they are not being funded at the levels with which Mr. Diddie would be comfortable but they cannot in any way be considered to have been gutted:

Education:
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/include/usgs_chart2p51.png

http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/usgs_line.php?title=Education%20Spending%20Chart&units=b&size=m&year=2009_2019&sname=US&bar=1&stack=1&col=c&legend=&source=a_a_a_e_g_g_g_g_g_g_g&spending0=878.94_913.02_897.25_935.35_952.16_994.56_1055.10_1085.24_1126.18_1176.32_1230.70

Healthcare:

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/include/usgs_chart2p41.png

Welfare:

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/include/usgs_chart2p61.png

There has been a decrease in federal spending on welfare every year since 2010 when spending spiked to $495.8 billion, but in considering if this constitutes "slashing" we should look at spending in the 8 years that preceded the Obama presidency. Over that period we spent on average, $243.7 billion. The average annual spending during the Obama years has been $425 billion or 67% more than during the Bush years. The projected spending for 2014 is 54% greater than the average under Bush and 20% higher than the highest year under Bush (2008 -$313.4 billion)

Putting aside whether spending more on Welfare is a good indicator, it's tough to make the case from these numbers that the current level is woefully low. Keep in mind that during the years the Democrats controlled congress under Bush the spending on welfare averaged $265.8 billion annually, which is only about 44 billion per year less during the other years. The Stimulus resulted in a significant spike in spending that was never intended to be permanent and since then spending has come back down to an amount more in keeping with what the Democrats planned for in the first year of Obama's presidency. It fairly ludicrous to claim 67% greater spending than the prior administration is evidence of current gutting of welfare programs.

Federal spending on Housing is included in spending on Welfare.

PDiddie is, obviously, of a mind similar to many of those posting in this forum in that he believes government spending is the solution to every problem and that the government never spends enough. If more money needs to spent on the area which he believes are underfunded the money can only come from four places 1) Increased borrowing, 2) Increased taxes, 2) Diversion from discretionary spending and 4) Diversion from Entitlement programs.

We already borrow too much and as it now stands, debt servicing is one of the largest areas of government spending. Increased borrowing would be irresponsible and ruinious. Cleary taxes can be increased quite a lot. Whether they should or not is a topic of fierce debate, but,even the politicians who want to raise taxes only want to do so for those designate "rich" ($250K or higher). There isn't enough wealth in the pockets of these taxpayers to pay for everything we do now, let alone what additional things PDiddie and others think we should do. The only pot with discretionary spending that is large enough to draw from to increase the amounts in the other pots is Defense and that's already happening.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/include/usgs_chart2p31.png

There is currently a rather vocal crowd in congress that believes we are drawing down too much on defense spending so it's unlikely that the rate of decrease will increase. It is interesting though to note that in the last year of the Bush Administration, we spent $729.6 billion on defense while in the six Obama years we have average $831.5 billion and that's with decreases in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

As we all know, the most money is spent on so called "entitlement" programs. This spending is mandated by law and so reducing it will require very open and obvious action by the White House and congress, but so far, while a lot of people will talk about reform, its gone nowhere and won't, at least, while Obama is president.

Assuming that the activity in Ferguson, MO after the shooting was a clear case of trampling on democratic rights (which isn't something everyone agree with) one example is hardly enough to back up the statement that these rights are being shredded.

In any case, despite being wrong is so many ways, PDiddie is also right in others. In terms of election campaigning the two parties are hardly distingusishable. They both spend massive amounts of money that they will accept from just about anyone, and whenever a candidate of either party feels himself or herself slipping in the polls, if there wasn't already a heavy load of negative campaigning it comes out in full force. With rare exception, all of the candidates in either party say what they think the voters want to hear rather than what they feel they need to hear, and if they feel it is necessary they will jettison, for the campaign, all the principles upon which they will serve should they be elected.

Right now it's the Democrats who are running away from an unpopular president, trying to somehow make the voters believe they didn't support virtually all of his unpopular policies throughout the prior years. We even have a Democrat candidate in Kentucky who feels the need to use rhetoric that evidences favor for coal while her staff are recorded telling an "undercover" reporter that she doesn't believe what she's saying but that she has to say it get elected. So she is decieving the voters of Kentucky to get elected, and she rationalizes this how? That she is deceiving them for their own good? This is certainly not to say that Republican candidates are not guilty of the same thing, because if they are not this year they have been in prior years.

Well, that's it. That's what he's right about. He certainly not right that the majority of people who will not vote in the upcoming elections are not doing so because they have lost faith in the system or think there is no point since parties are essentially the same. This would be a lousy excuse even if it was true, but it's not. Sure some people feel this way and actually don't vote as a result but most of the people saying these things just can't be bother to vote and their gripes are just an excuse. And they're not even the majority of the people who don't vote. Those people not only can't be bothered to vote, they can't be bothered to know anything more about what is going on in the country and the world beyond what the may see in a headline or hear on The Daily Show or TMZ.They take all of their freedoms for granted and then a relative few of them show up for presidential elections, because they can't avoid hearing facile comments from their favorite TV and movie personalities.

I'm not going to bother to point out all the other things he's wrong about or which he has blown all out of proportion, but the reality is that there is enough of a difference between the two parties to make voting very important. No matter how venal most of them are you can generally rely on certain things to happen when Republicans control things and when Democrats do. Whether it's because of the money their trying to chase or special interests they are trying to serve, governments under each party are distinguishable and will have a different impact on voters' lives.

If you are looking for one party or the other to solve all the ills of the nation and the world, you have foolish expectations, but, I would suggest, you really are not going to come close to having those expectations met if we all keep voting based on charisma, the endorsements of celebrities, or and effort to make our votes somehow indicative of our personal characters. If we want things to get done we have to elect people who have a track record for getting things done, not just talking a good game.

0 Replies