False Start on Hurry up Offense

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:49 am
So watching a few games lately I see the offense setup on the line in a hurry up scenario and the defensive line sets as well. I then see the offensive line standup and the QB gets a play call from the side.. couldn't the defense step across the los and cause a false start penalty in this situation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,128 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:32 am
@rugbyguytx,
Quote:
couldn't the defense step across the los and cause a false start penalty in this situation?

This is unclear what you're asking. Do you mean they might do that intentionally..to slow down the fast pace? If so, doing that'd be an unproductive and a bad strategy.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:53 am
@Ragman,
Quite the contrary Ragman. He is suggesting they would do it intentionally to draw a penalty. If the defense could get a 5 yard penalty for false start each time, it would be a very productive and good strategy.

I think the reason it wouldn't work is that for a false start penalty the offense players must move "abruptly" in a manner to deceive the defense. I don't think simply standing to receive a new play counts.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:31 am
@rugbyguytx,
If the QB has started his count, then stopped, then yes,,,,if he stands up, it's a false start.

Joe(five yards)Nation
0 Replies