Finding number of atoms in a penny and nickel ?

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 09:09 pm
Here is a picture to better illustrate my query. https://www.flickr.com/photos/116193676@N07/15287634150/

Basically I just have no clue what I'm suppose to do here

carloslebaron

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 10:17 pm
You must find the way to do something, because that cat is angry.
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:47 am
@Chelsea98,
Chelsea98 wrote:
Basically I just have no clue what I'm suppose to do here

It tells you what to do. You are supposed to use the periodic table to see what the atomic numbers and mass numbers of some isotopes of nickel and copper are. Then you will see what to write against A, B, C, D, E and F.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:08 am
Ignore troll above. The question is not asking the "number of atoms" in a penny or nickel, as your subject title says.

Below viewing threshold (view)
engineer

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:22 am
@Chelsea98,
As Contrex noted, this is not about how many atoms there are but which elements are present. Atomic number determines the element. Nickle is 28, copper is 29, so the 27 and 31 values (Cobalt and Galium) are not on either coin. For the isotopes of each you need to look up with isotope is more common. Your class materials should show you how to do that.
djjd62

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:53 am
Finding number of atoms in a penny and nickel ?

think of the largest number you can, then double it, you'll be pretty close to the right answer
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Your class materials

Remember them?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:03 am
@Chelsea98,
although you could calculate the number of atoms of each metal by knowing their percents In each coin,, the total weight of each coin (in grams), the mole weight of each metal . and Avogdro's number. I think that would be cool to show your teacher that your able to move forward faster than the workbook seems to imply.

BTW, each isotope will occur in nature wrt an accurate ratio of each other
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
although you could calculate the number of atoms of each metal

It has now been said twice, correctly, by different people, that the question is not about the number of atoms.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:10 am
@contrex,
I knoooow, but that was not my point if you read my word "Although". Its not beyond a HS chem class, and its kinda far into the year to only be talking isotopes and atomic weights now, without recognizing that they occur NATURALLY and all would occur in a coin (in a pretty accurate fixed ratio)
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 06:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
without recognizing that they occur NATURALLY and all would occur in a coin (in a pretty accurate fixed ratio)

Yup.
0 Replies

Chelsea98

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 07:04 am
@carloslebaron,
If you're not going to answer my question then please don't answer at all because you're just wasting my time.
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 07:10 am
@Chelsea98,
Chelsea98 wrote:
If you're not going to answer my question then please don't answer at all because you're just wasting my time.

Ignore him. He is a troll. There are plenty on Able2know, unfortunately. Read my answers and Engineer's and Farmerman's.

Chelsea98

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:10 pm
@contrex,
Thanks, guys. Really helped.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 12:56 am
@ Chelsea 98

Quote:

Well, then the answer for the amounts of atoms is: "copper" a bunch, "iron" just a little bit, "Plutonium" none, "Cobalt" so so, "Silver" naaahhh, "gold" in your dreams...

Lucky you that can find someone here helping you with your school homework.

In my school years I never had problems with my school homework because I never did it...
0 Replies