Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 10:42 am
While planners look at how to cut back the energy consumption of big cities, at the other end of the scale are shanty towns--organically evolved and self-built by millions of people in the developing world without a planner in sight. These shanties meet many of the ideals of eco city designers. They are high-density but low rise; and many of their inhabitants recycle waste materials from the wider city. "Despite their sanitary and security failings, they have a social vibrancy and sound economical status that get lost in most planed urban environment."

Would you tell me :

1. What does vibrancy mean here?

2. I am wondering what the highlighted part means overall

3. I am wondering the reason why they are lost? and what does at the end of the scale means?

would you show me them more simply and in more details, especially my last question, as I yet to get it.

Any help would be appreciated

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 603 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 01:53 pm
@cyrus the great,
Quote:
1. What does vibrancy mean here?
2. I am wondering what the highlighted part means overall
3. I am wondering the reason why they are lost? and what does at the end of the scale means?
would you show me them more simply and in more details, especially my last question, as I yet to get it.

1. A lively atmosphere.
2. They work socially and economically. They function well.
3. At the end of the scale = at the other extreme.
In most planned urban environments, what makes the shanty towns "work" is absent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 04:11 pm
@cyrus the great,
Shanty towns do not work; they are created out of necessity from having no job or resources. They are urban blights that requires government intervention to develop living conditions that are healthy and safe.

Habitat for Humanities have the right idea and goals, but they are but a very small nonprofit charitable organization that can't do all that's needed by themselves around this world.
0 Replies