What everyday items do you order online?

glitterbag

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:39 pm
@boomerang,
I found some useful ways to order. I'll be back later, been busy today and am worn out.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 11:11 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

How do you order shoes online and know that they'll fit?

The trick is to order brands of shoes that you know from experience will fit.

Compared to what others have said here, I buy LOTS of stuff online. Always when I get free shipping, by ordering a qualifying amount.

I buy my loose leaf teas from Arbor teas. I buy Wally's Celsestial Seasonings Blueberry tea from Amazon.

Also from Amazon, paper plates made from sugar can fiber (they come in cases of 500) I used them not only to eat, but as cutting boards when I don't want to have to wash the cutting boards I have. Years ago I bought a vacuum from them, since I got free shipping. Let's see, also shoes (see above) I buy a particular Champion sports bra I use as a bathing suit top, and recently bought swim bottoms from a swim outlet online.

At this time of year I would also search online for spray sunscreen to stock up for next summer.
I also buy a case at a time of 12 oz paper coffee cups. That lasts me 2 or 3 years. Right now I'm using surplus starbucks cups I got really cheap.

I get my 3 month supplies on perscription drugs online, and I'll purchase supplements if it's the right brand and price.

In the past I've bought things like shampoos, gel and mousse and hairspray online.

2 years ago I got two sets of cushions for my outdoor gliders.

I used to buy certain clothing items, but since I'm no longer working full time, I don't have that need anymore re work attire, spanx (I've got a dozen pairs in my drawer that I do wear under certain pants) and things like that.

Basically anything I use regularly, if I can get enough for free shipping, the price is right, and it's something I can store.

I'm sure I could think of a lot more things, but it's past midnight and I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:37 am
Quote:
Woolen blankets

David
hingehead

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:27 am
Razors
CDs
Vinyl
MP3s
Wine
Coffee
Computers
Cameras
USB drives
Books
Vinyl record cleaners
MP3 players
Cooking toys (especially microplane graters)
Rabbitohs membership and merch
Tickets to theatre, music and sporting events
Pizza
Plane tickets
Holiday accomodation
Canal boat hire :-)
Seeds (from Herbies - providers of artisanal vegetable seeds)
Gourmet food products (like Vahlrona chocolate)

Mrs Hinge also does clothes and shoes based on brands she knows her sizes in - she used to do a bit of OAK shopping for knick-knacks too.

Oddly I've never done online grocery shopping and I really should - I do all our regular shopping and it would save time.

What's funny is the things I've tried to buy online but wouldn't/couldn't be delivered to Oz - like Le Creuset cookware and certain brands of bluetooth headphones.

All bill paying online too - no wonder I'm always sitting in front of a computer.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 05:34 am
@boomerang,
Footwear
I buy shoes from Zappos. They have even been on 60 Minutes (more than 6 yrs ago) in an article on the wildfire success of their business.

As far as well-reputed online places to make purchases, they're among the best as they've got longevity and ability to deliver a wide variety of shoes (now they carry clothes too) is legendary. They carry international and national recognized band names shoes and sneakers.

They've an excellent return policy, carry all sizes for men and women, including hard-to-fit sizes in stock. On their site they include legitimate multiple personal reviews from consumers who bought that model of shoe, too.

I'd say they've got as good a reputation as L.L. Bean. Website is well-organized - a model of efficiency. I've no personal ties (no pun intended) to them. I'm just a happy customer for 6 years.

Coffee
Coffee Fool: located in MN, they carry gourmet coffees from all over the world, as well as every day coffee. I buy their whole beans but each coffee is sold in bulk and is available in either ground or whole bean form.

I would not recommend this to those who are looking for national brands or deep discounts for under-$10-per-pound coffees. I will say they carry some of the best0-tasting beans I've had (think in the style of Gevalia mail-order beans).
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 09:35 am
@boomerang,
I buy almost everything, today, online. The only time I don't is in an emergency.

I order my groceries online and have them delivered. There's a fee, but it saves a ton of money/time in the long haul.

I order books at B&N online, I belong to a club at B&N so I get a big discount. The fee is about $25/year.

On Amazon, I buy dog food, chips, progresso soup, tide detergent and various other household items. I get reduced prices, because I belong to a club on Amazon. I never buy books on Amazon, or electronic equipment.

Other things I buy online are just about anything or even everything you would normally buy at a retail store, especially since most companies now offer UPS free shipping right to your front door.

I never fill Rxs online, but I do buy various items from Drugstore.com that just about everyone needs in their home. They also offer free delivery.
Miller

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 09:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Woolen blankets
David

Are these items made in the USA. Check out the LLBean website and see how few items, they sell, are actually made in the USA...
margo

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 10:30 am
I buy books and CDs, usually from Amazon UK. I can also buy gift for friends online in their country, often cheaper, better variety and without the sometime killer postage.

Most of my travel is now booked online - look out you nortamericanos - a Qantas plane will be landing near you sometime soon!

Clothes - not so much after a few dud buys. A brand I wear has good online sales and I've often checked them out in the shop near where I work first. Their normal retail prices are silly.

Shoes - never. I have enough trouble finding shoes to fit when my feet are right there!

Groceries - not yet - but it does make sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:07 am
I've made swell purchases from Amazon in the past, my beloved ice cream maker, for example (Cuisinart).

I've bought shoes from Zappo's too, and agree with Ragman about their website and their policies.

Recently bought a pair of Dansko shoes from the REI Outlet website - great savings, good return policy though I didn't need that, the shoes are perfect. They were $44 (or so), and the freebee shipping wants you to spend $50.00 first, so I added two pair of socks. Danskos are usually about $120. a pair. My feet thank me. (I mentioned this yesterday but not all the details)

I ordered a bottle of Barley Malt Syrup this morning, from Vitacost online, for making Bolzano rye bread, and New York style bagels.

I'm a low income type, plus I already have a lot of "worldly goods" so I'd best start culling instead of buying. I'm a thrift shop queen so I tend to pick up books or clothes (don't need many of those) at those kind of stores.

I've mixed feelings about online shopping in that I do like shopping - in small local stores, and they've been hit two ways in recent decades with the big box behemoth stores and by online shopping. Sigh - memories of a great "kitchen" store back in my last home town. Yes, they sold Le Crueset cookware, but also cookbooks, and lots of items attractive to cooks, either long timers or those learning. I think they held classes there too. It was run by nice people, not part of any chain.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:30 pm
@Miller,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Woolen blankets
David
Miller wrote:
Are these items made in the USA.
Check out the LLBean website and see how few items, they sell, are actually made in the USA...
Yes, Dr. Miller. Thay are from Pendleton, Oregon. The firm began in the early 19OOs.
boomer was kind enuf to recommend them to me, perhaps about a year ago.
I have ordered from LLBean, tho it has been a while; maybe 5O years.
I avidly agree with buying American whenever conveniently possible.

I hope that all is well with u.

Thrive in Beauty, according to your personal taste.

David
OmSigDAVID

Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:52 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
I buy almost everything, today, online. The only time I don't is in an emergency.

I order my groceries online and have them delivered.
There's a fee, but it saves a ton of money/time in the long haul.
That sounds interesting. How can I join that club ??

Miller wrote:
I order books at B&N online, I belong to a club at B&N so I get a big discount. The fee is about $25/year.
On Amazon, I buy dog food, chips, progresso soup, tide detergent and various other household items.
I get reduced prices, because I belong to a club on Amazon.
That 's interesting.
How can I join that club ?

Miller wrote:
I never buy books on Amazon, or electronic equipment.
May we know your reasoning
in choosing not to buy books or electronics from Amazon??

Miller wrote:
Other things I buy online are just about anything or even everything you would normally buy at a retail store,
especially since most companies now offer UPS free shipping right to your front door.

I never fill Rxs online, but I do buy various items from Drugstore.com
that just about everyone needs in their home. They also offer free delivery.
I must look into that.
sozobe

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 05:56 pm
I get almost all shoes for myself and my kid via Zappos or Piperlime. They both have excellent return policies BUT it's still a hassle if the shoes don't work. I have a pile of three boxes in the dining room that need to go back.

What Chai says about figuring out brands/ sizes first is good advice.

I get a bunch of stuff through Amazon (also Prime) -- like biodegradable garbage bags, and special hair stuff that I haven't found locally, and a lot of little things that I don't want to make a special trip to the store to get. Always busy and it's so nice to take 2 minutes to clickety click and then it's at my door in a day or two (stuff gets to Columbus FAST) instead of an hour or more to get to the store, locate item, pay for item, and return home.
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 06:02 pm
I buy all my books on Amazon.
Paperbacks that is.
They're 99 cents with a $2.99 delivery fee.
Electronics too.
I love that I can pay with my Paypal account.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:21 pm
@roger,
I forgot to add Desenex foot powder. Disappeared from local stores years ago. Still on Amazon, though.
hawkeye10

Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:24 pm
@roger,
I forgot to add bedspreads. THe wife once spent a better part of a day looking for one to go with a newly redesigned bedroom, could not find anything "perfect". She found it in 10 minutes online. Never again do we do this the old way.

Live and learn.
hingehead

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 07:03 am
@hawkeye10,
You reminded me, we've done this too. And our bed requires really oversize fitted sheets that we can only get online.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 01:44 pm
I forgot: I bought 2 umbrellas for my patio at Amazon, plus a replacement canvas. Small heaters/fans too! I never ever had an Amazon product that was in poor quality.

Plus their returns are exceptionally customer service oriented. I had ordered a chair for the office and it was too low, so I emailed them, they called me within 5 min. back, told me what to do and who is going to pick up the chair and as soon as they have it, I'll get credited back. The entire transaction took 4 days (until credited) and I was quite pleased.
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 03:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Woolen blankets
David
Miller wrote:
Check out the LLBean website and see how few items, they sell, are actually made in the USA...
Yes, Dr. Miller. Thay are from Pendleton, Oregon. The firm began in the early 19OOs.

David

Hi Dave! How are things with you today? I'm fine and the rain has finally stopped. I agree, it's best to buy American. I find the quality to be excellent. I used to buy from L.L. Beam, but I rarely do now. Same goes with Lands Down.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 03:14 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Woolen blankets
David
Miller wrote:

David

Hi Dave! How are things with you today? I'm fine and the rain has finally stopped. I agree, it's best to buy American. I find the quality to be excellent. I used to buy from L.L. Beam, but I rarely do now. Same goes with Lands Down.
Hi, Dr. Miller. Things are casual, slow & ez today; un-demanding.
I am enjoying my retirement from professional practice.

We are of one mind on this point of domestic economy.

David
Miller

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi Dave!

For B&N, please go to their website to find out about the $25 membership program.

AMAZON: Go to their website,and you'll find all the necessary info there.

ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: I go to the specific electronic sources. I like to deal with the stores directly.

One thing I don't like about Amazon, is their use of a company called Lasership, in place of UPS direct. Sometimes the boxes aren't delivered until after 10 PM.

Not good, Dave.