What everyday items do you order online?

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:02 pm
I order coffee from Amazon. It's decent coffee and the price is great. I'm a Prime member so shipping is free.

My sister orders almost everything online, stuff like toilet paper and shampoo. She's not a shut in or anything, she just finds it so much easier. I haven't reached that point yet.

Are you an able bodied person who orders all your stuff online?

tsarstepan

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:21 pm
@boomerang,
I get my sneakers from Amazon(though they aren't technically everyday in that sense though I wear them everyday).

I still buy my toiletries from Rite Aid and Walgreens.
ossobuco

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:28 pm
None.
boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shoes! Shoes!? I would love to order shoes online. I hate shoes and I doubly hate shoe shopping. I was online not too long ago begging Nike to make a certain shoe in my size. No luck. Every time I find a pair of shoes I like they've been "discontinued" the next time I go looking.

I recently found a pair of shoes at Ross for cheap that fit me better than any shoe I've had in a long time. I imagine they were there because they've already been discontinued.

<sigh>

How do you order shoes online and know that they'll fit?
boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a recent online coffee convert. I'm not a coffee snob at all and I was looking for a good supermarket brand. Reading around online I saw a lot of people talking about "8 o'clock" coffee. I ordered some and liked it as well as the expensive stuff I was buying. $14 for a huge bag. I'm a believer now.
tsarstepan

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:44 pm
@boomerang,
With Amazon, I buy the brands I know. I also check a fair amount of user reviews. If there is a trend in the reviews on sizes running a half size small, then I compensate thusly. I only had one time I had a problem with shoe size (an unknown brand with no or little customer reviews) and I eventually broke them in so they weren't that far off size wise.
ehBeth

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:44 pm
@boomerang,
8 o'clock is the old A&P brand of coffee

my uncled loved that stuff, 8 o'clock coffee and Mother Parker brand baked goods
boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Up until a few years ago all I wore was Converse. Size 5.5. I could walk into a store, pull them off the shelf and pay for them. If I found a really good sale I'd buy 10 pairs.

Now, after a few hours, my feet hurt. I'm getting old.

I would LOVE to have a standard brand again.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
It's pretty good coffee!

I was buying Melitta coffee -- about $15 for a half pound. 8 o'clock isn't quite as good but it's close and it's the same price for a 2 pound bag.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:58 pm
@boomerang,
I lied - mistake! I did order shoes online recently. First genuine shoes in a bunch of years, from the REI outlet place. These were out of date Danskos.

I lovvvvvve them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 07:59 pm
@boomerang,
When I had surgery last year and was not allowed to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for several weeks, I ordered all pantry, paper and pet items from amazon to supplement the well stocked freezer. That continued for another 4 months after I fell and broke my back. It was a lifesaver and kept both mom and I from hurting ourselves.

Well recovered, and don't order nearly as much, but do still find pantry bargains not to be missed on amazon. We have amazon prime so don't have the extra expense of shipping charges. Because of that, what we end up paying is usually less than supermarket prices and I buy enough to last several months. I do buy the fresh produce and meats locally. I buy my herbs and spices from Penseys website for the freshness, quality and variety. The price is higher, but worth it.

I order most of my clothes online from catalog stores, but only buy when they have their semi annual clearance sales when I can get shirts and pants for under $10 instead of the usual $30 or more they charge at other times. I save a great deal more from their website sales rather than their brick and mortar stores and the selections for tall sizes are better.

roger

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 08:57 pm
@boomerang,
I have ordered Targon mouth wash and HEET analgesic. I feel like there is some other small, common item that is still in production but not on any shelves I can find.
hawkeye10

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:05 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
My sister orders almost everything online, stuff like toilet paper
the shipping companies moving to charge by volume as well as weight should shut that down rather fast.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:10 pm
@boomerang,
I do buy something online - everyday for me, but maybe not for everyone Laughing

silver, gold, silver/gold and gold/silver goatskin dance slippers

our dance troupe found a great vendor in Egypt who regularly has them on sale for $4 - 7/pr. Our last order was for 32 pairs of them. Since the sizing is a bit non-standard, we just keep trying shoes on til they fit when the parcels arrive. So far we've found homes for all of the shoes we've bought over the last couple of years. The studios around here charge $30+ a pair for them.
hawkeye10

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:17 pm
I order online always or almost always

shoes
clothes
sex toys
some particular restaurant supplies that are hard to find or much cheaper online
books
caviar
pond supplies
foie gras
some particular cheeses that are rarely/never avail in local stores
cpap machine supplies

I am likely to start getting by medications from a military online/ups system

I often get things online that I dont buy very often and find out by looking that buying the old way is stupid....blinds and most kitchen equipment (home and restaurant) for instance.

I am increasingly not willing to do a lot of looking around for home and car repair supplies, things that are rare/hard to find, so I order online. There was a part I needed for my Grand Marquis that in town I could only find as a Ford part, at $600, but I got a rebuilt unit for $150 online. I realized after making two calls that trying to buy this part local was dumb.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 09:56 pm
@boomerang,
I buy coffee from Amazon too - German coffee (Dallmayr) whole beans, they come in a 2-pack of 500 gr each, 1 kg which is 2.2 lb. for around $22.00, sometimes $24.00. I am also a prime member.

Regular coffee in the supermarket cost around $8.00 for 12 oz. They used to come in 16 oz. or 1 lb. but not anymore, the price remained the same, but it came down to 12 oz. Anyway, my good German coffee is about the same in price.

I buy a lot from Amazon, or online in general. I hate to go shopping!
boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ordering online makes perfect sense in the situation of being hurt. Seriously, what a god-send! How is BBB?

I need to start doing more bargain hunting online for everyday things. I hate most shopping but enjoy grocery shopping and it's so easy to break the bank with impulse buys. I grocery shop almost every day; it's ridiculous.

How did you find a catalog that works for you? I've tried catalog shopping and been dissatisfied. I would love to find someplace that offers a nice variety that I know would fit right and have the kind of fabrics I could live with.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:03 pm
@roger,
Ohhhh.....

I love the idea of finding things that are otherwise hard to find. I need to think on this....
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I love you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 8 Oct, 2014 10:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm going to check out that coffee!

I just ordered coffee today, which is what sparked this thread, so it will be a month or so before I need more.