Can you suffucate in your sleep?

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So now you're a f*cking lawyer, too, huh? When someone asks a detailed questions such as that, it is appropriate to advise them to seek professional help. You're not a doctor, you're not a lawyer, and you have no business making such a remark without appropriate disclaimers. You made no such disclaimer.

The question was "Can You Suffocate in Your Sleep?" I answered exactly that question. My answer was about an illness which I have, which I have discussed with my own doctors, and the answer I gave is widely known. What kind of disclaimer would you expect?
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 04:42 am
@Brandon9000,
The disclaimer that you are not a physician and that anyone asking for medical advice at a site such as this should consult a physician. You are not a physician.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 07:10 am
@Brandon9000,
You should make it clear that you aren't a doctor, okay? We get people all the time on here who think they are going to get good medical advice and they can sometimes end up ignoring their own physicians' advice. I'd hate to think of someone who was incapacitated or died because of that. Don't say it can't happen.

The best thing to say is something like, I have this disease and this is what I experienced but I am not a doctor. You should go to your doctor and be checked out personally as the results may differ.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and your personal knowledge in the matter. I just don't want a naive user (and it's not just the people who post here, but also those who stumble across the site in a Google search. Often they never register) to be overly reliant on it.

Many thanks.

PS I'm not singling out Brandon9000, folks.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 06:15 pm
That's ridiculous. I never said that he had sleep apnea and I didn't give him any advice at all. I answered the question posed in the title of the thread with a widely known fact, which I stated correctly. There are, periodically, medical questions like this posed around the board and every person who replies does not, in fact, begin with "I am not a doctor." Here is a thread in which you give a sick person advice without declaring that you aren't a doctor:

http://able2know.org/topic/145656-1

In fact, no one giving advice in that thread declares that he is not a doctor. I didn't even give advice. I just answered a specific question.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 08:32 pm
Well, we don't know if this person is also taking drugs, alcohol or both to the extent they are so unconscious they don't move.

They would have to be awfully high or drunk, but people do choke on their vomit and die.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 12:16 am
I heard a story where a person had a dream where he struggled to eat a giant 30 pound marshmallow. When he woke up, his pillow was gone.

So, yes. If this could possibly happen, you should see a doctor.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 10:27:46