The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Seems to me you process information like a computer, not like a human being. Our lives are much more complex and intertwined than you naively think.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:36 am
@Olivier5,
Good analogy. Humans are not computers, and the choices available to the individual are as varied as there are humans. Humans are not robots, and will choose between options that we call guesses. The primary influence for the individual are their gene and environment, and how the individual perceives these different observations and experiences. They are based on guesses.

To identify any choice as a 'wild guess' provides nothing of value, because most of our choices are guesses. That's the reason humans have different tastes, values, likes and dislikes, family, friends, mates, and life choices.

That's another reason I love travel, enjoy cab over white wines, and drink Guinness at Irish pubs when I can find one.

Nobody plans every minute of every day on a schedule; we do things based on what we think/guess that will provide us with the results we're looking for.

I think I'll go shop for shoes today; a total wild guess. What will we have for lunch today? Another guess.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:41 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Seems to me you process information like a computer, not like a human being. Our lives are much more complex and intertwined than you naively think.

Still waiting for you to tell me how being disappointed with life...impacts on whether or not "I believe there are no gods" is nothing more than a blind guess.

You seem not to be processing information at all right now, Olivier.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Because people don't treat gods as empty concepts like you do. Unlike you, they know what they mean by the word, and they expect something precise from their gods. When that doesn't come for too long, they stop believing. It's as simple as that. You are welcome to call that "blind" (at least if you can explain to know what you mean by "blind"), but it is in fact based on experience.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:24 pm
@Olivier5,
How can people's belief in their god be an 'empty' concept? Many give 10% of their income to their church. If money talks, that's one of them. They pray before meals, and before they go to sleep. They are devoted to their belief in their god. That's not empty; it's part of their life. Any outsider can call that guesses, but that misses the fact that their god exists in their minds and their life.

It's no more or less true than the person who believes in playing golf. Why do the person value golf? That it's based on their guess that it has value to them is the important issue; not that any outsider labels it as a guess. To others, they may say, what's the value of hitting a small ball into a hole? How much value can there be? They pay money to buy their equipment and pay to play on golf courses. That must have value to the golfer.

Believing in god or playing golf has value to the person who puts value into it.

Calling them 'guesses' doesn't add anything to them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:27 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Because people don't treat gods as empty concepts like you do. Unlike you, they know what they mean by the word, and they expect something precise from their gods. When that doesn't come for too long, they stop believing. It's as simple as that. You are welcome to call that "blind" (at least if you can explain to know what you mean by "blind"), but it is in fact based on experience.

The comment "There are no gods" is based on blind guessing...not on experience, Olivier.

That is why you have failed to show any instance...including something made up...of experience leading to "there are no gods" being anything other than a blind guess.

But this is fun...so let's keep at it.
Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:29 pm
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgc72zzdSVKDp1R3kEzq2k7KmdoWglVM9AjYtBudi2xiSlnT4Ysw
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I'm done here. I got my point across.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

http://img8.buho21.com/408/622408/n_f38e826c.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUgaEmj-mSnToclcnPcoX5Io6F5KInYt8Zrn9cO9zVDoq6Hekl
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The comment "There are no gods" is based on blind guessing...not on experience, Olivier.

That is why you have failed to show any instance...including something made up...of experience leading to "there are no gods" being anything other than a blind guess.

False.

By "experience" no one has proved the existence of gods.

Only by "faith" (belief) gods are considered to exist.

By "my experience" I never perceived any god by any means, so "physically" gods do not exist until you prove the contrary.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:39 am
@carloslebaron,
Correct; our personal perceptions is what counts in our beliefs. Whether it's verifiable to some or for others who believe based on faith, gods exist or don't exist. That's our real life experience. Calling them 'blind guesses' adds nothing to people's perception of what they perceive to be true or false.

We make choices based on our own criteria of what we wish to believe in.

Once those choices are made, that's our reality. We make blind choices every day of our lives. Once we commit to doing something, it was based on a 'blind choice' from all the options available to us. Who needs to prove to anybody else why and what they chose to do? If I wish to go to church today, it's my choice. What's the value of calling it a blind guess? Many will go to church regardless of how anyone wishes to label it.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:35 am
@carloslebaron,
Seeing as 'existence' is bound by 'physical' properties - If 'something' has none, it is not 'something' - It DOESN'T (Not shouting - highlighting.) exist.
If, conceptually, there is potential for it to exist, then, it still DOESN'T (Not shouting - highlighting.) exist, until 'physical' properties are observed.

We cannot apply 'God' correctly, in a question because the concept is both chameleonic and subjective. It would be like me asking for your opinion of my lunch - Supplied with 'edible materials' as your sole source of information.

Same as 'soul' - NOT (Not shouting - highlighting.) 'physical', non-existent.
0 Replies