The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Your proposal is not credible, given your past behavior.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:50 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Your proposal is not credible, given your past behavior.

Nothing wrong with my past behavior, Olivier. It has been more polite and reasonable than yours, as a matter of fact.

But you like to start things you cannot finish...and I usually finish them.

If you want to have a reasonable, rational discussion...let's get to it.

If you would rather play games...play games. I am more than able to handle myself there.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
You don't know yourself, Frank. You are making promises that you can't keep.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You don't know yourself, Frank. You are making promises that you can't keep.

I know myself very well, Olivier.

You are just doing your usual digging...which delights me.

I was a bit worried a few days ago when you said you were done with me. But I shouldn't have been. You seldom follow through on things...and I should have felt confident that my toy would return to provide me with more laughs.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeU4vlJdHgVsK1ABeeBg0AtZiOrKvN16aUYdYa6DSZV9zpJBggxQ

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 01:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
In regard to experience, the lack thereof is, nonetheless, categorically "experience" especially when it's the basis of the statement, "I do not believe in gods."
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
I believe in god or I do not believe in god is an individual's choice. It doesn't matter whether the person believes one way or the other whether they can prove there is or there isn't. That's their experience and belief. They don't need to prove to others what they believe; THAT'S A FACT.

Trying to challenge them goes nowhere, because all the people who built and attend the churches, cathedrals and temples prove they believe, and accept their god. For them, god exists in their reality.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

In regard to experience, the lack thereof is, nonetheless, categorically "experience" especially when it's the basis of the statement, "I do not believe in gods."

And, pray tell, how does it make the statement anything other than a blind guess.

How does a lack of experience...lead to a blind guess being something other than a blind guess?

You can call a blind guess "absolute certainty"...but that does not make it something other than a blind guess.

Whether a person calls his/her blind guess about the unknown a "belief"...or if the person has the ethical sense to call it a "blind guess"...

...the blind guess is still a blind guess.

In any case, why not explain how "a lack of experience" does anything.

If you have a "lack of experience" of any sentient beings from any planet circling the nearest five stars to Sol...

...and you decide to say, "I believe there are no sentient beings on any of those planets"...

...does that make the comment anything other than a blind guess?

C'mon, Blue. Pick up the pace. Get a bit more realistic so we can move this discussion on.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

And, pray tell, how does it make the statement anything other than a blind guess.

How does a lack of experience...lead to a blind guess being something other than a blind guess?

Because it's based on experiential data.

Quote:
You can call a blind guess "absolute certainty"...but that does not make it something other than a blind guess.

I don't call a blind guess "absolute certainty," and I don't know what that has to do with the issue at hand.

Quote:
Whether a person calls his/her blind guess about the unknown a "belief"...or if the person has the ethical sense to call it a "blind guess"...

You're merely repeating your assertion without substantiation.

Quote:

It's the basis of the lack of belief in gods, among other things.

Quote:
If you have a "lack of experience" of any sentient beings from any planet circling the nearest five stars to Sol...

...and you decide to say, "I believe there are no sentient beings on any of those planets"...

No, because the statement is one of belief not knowledge, which is your hang up. You're confusing the two.

Quote:
C'mon, Blue. Pick up the pace. Get a bit more realistic so we can move this discussion on.

Try substantiating your assertion that beliefs about gods are blind guesses and the discussion will move merrily along.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Put another way, all those who believe in god is absolutely certain of their choice, perception, and belief. That cannot be challenged; just look at the numbers. If that isn't proof, than nothing is.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Because it's based on experiential data.

Quote:

I don't call a blind guess "absolute certainty," and I don't know what that has to do with the issue at hand.

Quote:

You're merely repeating your assertion without substantiation.

Quote:

It's the basis of the lack of belief in gods, among other things.

Quote:

No, because the statement is one of belief not knowledge, which is your hang up. You're confusing the two.

Quote:

Try substantiating your assertion that beliefs about gods are blind guesses and the discussion will move merrily along.

We are dealing at the moment with the statement "I believe there are no gods."

I defy you to show how the lack of experience can make that obvious blind guess anything but a blind guess...no matter what it is called.

Give it a shot rather than trying to duck it, Blue.

It won't hurt.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I already answered your question here.

Let's try keeping up, M'kay?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Your so-called answer has been shown to be rubbish.

If anything, it simply bolsters my contention that people often call their blind guesses "beliefs."

Now you apparently are trying to say that because there is an absence of experience (which apparently means no gods have been seen)...that makes the blind guess something other than a blind guess.

Absolute blather...although I doubt you will suddenly work up the ethical wherewithal to acknowledge that it is.

This is great fun, Blue. Let's continue doing it. Wink
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 04:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What you don't seem to get, Frank.

Is that if there is an absence of existence, then there should be an absence of experience.

If nobody has seen X - how can people say they experience X, unless what people experiencing is what they think is X, but actually isn't X.

In other words, people are delusional and so are you.

Welcome to my lair, Frank. This is where I make you into the game. Come play with me, and let's see if your character can survive.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 04:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
"Done with you" only meant that this particular discussion was over. I haven't given up on you yet.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 04:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

All you've said is, "...the blind guess is still a blind guess." All that shows is that you're talking in circles.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Now you apparently are trying to say that because there is an absence of experience (which apparently means no gods have been seen)...that makes the blind guess something other than a blind guess.

It's not just about sight. It includes all of the senses as well as sensibilities.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Absolute blather...although I doubt you will suddenly work up the ethical wherewithal to acknowledge that it is.

You don't explain why it's absolute blather.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

"Done with you" only meant that this particular discussion was over. I haven't given up on you yet.

Great, because I have certainly not given up on you. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

All you've said is, "...the blind guess is still a blind guess." All that shows is that you're talking in circles.

Frank Apisa wrote:

It's not just about sight. It includes all of the senses as well as sensibilities.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You don't explain why it's absolute blather.

The statement "I believe there are no gods"...can only be a blind guess...using the word "believe" because the person does not have the guts to actually say, "I am making a blind guess that there are no gods." There is absolutely no way anyone can KNOW there are no gods...and any guess made...is a purely blind guess.

You have said that experience makes it something other than a blind guess.

And you have said the experience is by having a lack of experience. (Good grief, if you hadn't come along I would have tried to invent you, Blue.)

Anyway...so far you have not worked up the courage to actually tell us what you mean by a lack of experience.

I am blindly guessing that you mean something along the lines of "Where are the gods...I don't see no stinkin' gods...we don't need no stinkin' gods."

But that does not make the comment less a blind guess.

So...when you get around to it (take your time, I am very patient)...explain to me how "a lack of experience" makes the comment anything other than a blind guess.

This is wonderful!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnmtW68N3Bnl1tpBOGbvXorgI4x9slRYSvKSVxqwmeJ0EmJw4Fbw
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe it's because the "blind guess" was made by delusional people? Denying another's blind guess does not make your denial of their blind guess a blind guess?

Again. If there's no existence of X - there's no experience of X. Right now, people claim they have the experience of X, because they are delusional freaks with nothing else better to do with their lives but feel like they are divinely special.

Eliminate those idiots, and suddenly people will say "what's a god?", not "god is... X". Right now, these idiots treat god like a cloud. That's not a god. That's a delusion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:24 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

What you don't seem to get, Frank.

Is that if there is an absence of existence, then there should be an absence of experience.

If nobody has seen X - how can people say they experience X, unless what people experiencing is what they think is X, but actually isn't X.

In other words, people are delusional and so are you.

Welcome to my lair, Frank. This is where I make you into the game. Come play with me, and let's see if your character can survive.

Lemme see...if I am not mistaken, you are the guy crying because you have no friends and nobody likes you, even though you are a world-class genius who has solved most of the problems of the world...but cannot help but mention it as often as possible even though it costs you all those friends.

Look, I could bloody you up a bit just for kicks...but I really do not want to pick on someone with your troubles.

Go find someone else to play with.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnW_k-SlHd-H2KNDo7jxSPAla0kuelbKkg7RmMXJdZFOfjISCW
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 05:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Since when was sharing your personal pain ever a sign of fragility?

Clearly you were raised in a black and white world. Else, you'd know that I am the exact opposite of a cracked mirror - in reality, I am the prism of space and time and no amount of pressure will falter this vision I have over you, Frank.

Try me. As I said before, there is no evidence of a god's existence - no existence means no experience. Therefore the onus is not on people saying there is no god - the onus is on the people that say there is a god.