Quote:
You caught me.
Ich auch aber sprech nur Hoch-Schule Deutsch

Not sure Walt about spelling but I did remember to cap the nouns
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 02:56 pm
@dalehileman,
I have managed to never read Les Miserables, and more importantly have managed to never see the Broadway production of it...or for that matter, any production of it.

Somehow it always seemed to me that if it was being pushed at us that much and that hard, that there must be something inherently wrong with it.

Other items by Victor Hugo were good to read, so it's not an aversion to him or his works in general. Just that one thing which seems to practically scream at me that it's a piece of unmitigated propaganda.

Perhaps there's a version of it being done by those folks who gave us Schoolhouse Rock or maybe there's a flash card version. Until then, it's unlikely I'll ever read the book or see the play.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:00 pm
@Sturgis,
I liked the Frederick Douglass, Charles Laughton, movie of it. Never watched the musical.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd heard the movie was good and who knows some day I may actually get around to viewing it. Probably wouldn't cause me any harm.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I liked the Frederick Douglass, Charles Laughton, movie of it. Never watched the musical.

That was Fredric March, not Frederick Douglass.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:17 pm
@joefromchicago,
You are right. Just a slip of the keyboard.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 11:27 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
there must be something inherently wrong with it.
Yea, doesn't get good press does it Stur

Quote:
it's a piece of unmitigated propaganda
Really Stur, howso
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 11:55 am
@dalehileman,
It was required reading in 8th grade, and it has been one of the most inspiring stories I have ever read in my young life.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 12:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow Cis that's six

I wonder if you remember it as well as Vic: Who was in the coffin and why
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 12:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Victor Hugo?
Quote:
"What is that empty coffin?" asked Jean Valjean.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Quote:
"What is that empty coffin?" asked Jean Valjean.
Vic in posting #…. 988 above seems to state that it was actually Jean in the box

As you can see I'm still confused

Quote:
Victor Hugo?
Maybe the facetious implication
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 03:39 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't remember the finer details of the story, but the BIG story of how some silver candlesticks was the beginning of a 'success' story of sorts with Jean Valjean as the antagonist.

Most everything else have been lost through the ages.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well then Cis I'll read it again tonight, 7th time, determined to learn what exactly was in that casket

Thanks to all for participating
timur

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
If you don't find, I'll tell you...
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:05 pm
@timur,
Thanks Tim, hang in there and I'll get back to you

Meantime are you no. 8 and if so what's your impressions
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 10:42 am
@victorcarjan,
Vic thanks again, while I'm deeply impressed by such an incredible mem

If you should even happen to pick it up once more I wish you'd reveal chapter, verse, etc where we're informed of Jean's stay in the casket; I can't find it
victorcarjan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 02:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Book 8 "Cemeteries Give what is Taken to Them"

III "Mother's Innocent"
Page 537- It says "Mother Crucifixion" will sleep in the coffin she has slept in for the last twenty years. She gets buried in the vault under the prayer altar. We also learn there is the coffin that was brought by the Undertaker, which is the one Jean gets placed in.

Page 544- Jean and Fauchelevent are saying how dirt would move around in the coffin and a Body would be better. Page 545 of Chapter IV of Book 8, the dialogue is as follows
"Put somebody in it"
"A dead body? I don't have one."
"No"
"What then?"
"A live body"
"What live body?"
"Me" said Jean Valjean

The rest of the chapter goes on talking about how they will manage to pull it all off.

Hope this Helps.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 04:04 pm
@victorcarjan,
Thanks Vic, I will read it assiduously once more at first opportunity using your guide

Evidently Jean's offer came after I had supposed the episode to have concluded
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 10:37 am
@victorcarjan,
Thanks to all you guys and esp to Vic for his patience. In my immense illiteracy I had assumed the casket episode ended in Chapter III but obviously it's continued in Chapter IV where Jean volunteers to be carried out in the casket being returned to the undertaker. Clearly the entire episode revolves around a means for Jean to escape the nunnery

I was almost ready as with S. in #….106 to quit altogether, but now I will persist. About 2021 I expect to have digested the entire tome, then by 2022 entirely forgotten it all
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 08:18 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I have managed to never read Les Miserables, and more importantly have managed to never see the Broadway production of it...or for that matter, any production of it.

Somehow it always seemed to me that if it was being pushed at us that much and that hard, that there must be something inherently wrong with it.

Other items by Victor Hugo were good to read, so it's not an aversion to him or his works in general. Just that one thing which seems to practically scream at me that it's a piece of unmitigated propaganda.

Perhaps there's a version of it being done by those folks who gave us Schoolhouse Rock or maybe there's a flash card version. Until then, it's unlikely I'll ever read the book or see the play.

Thank you writing my response for me, Sturgis. Word for word.
0 Replies