Pronoun v. Adverb

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 09:59 am
An interrogative pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun that is not known, but for a reason unbeknownst to myself, only the words 'who and what (also whom, whose, which, and their -ever forms)' are considered interrogative pronouns.

Who is this? (unknown person- a person is a noun)
What is this? (unknown thing- a thing is a noun)

Other words, such as 'when, where, why and how' seem to clearly fit the criteria of an interrogative pronoun but instead are generally considered adverbs. Why is this?

When is this? (unknown time- a time is a noun)
Where is this? (unknown place- a place is a noun)
Why is this? (unknown idea- an idea is a noun)
How is this? (unknown quality- a quality is a noun)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,787 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 11:29 am
Pronoun versus adverg? I'll go with the adverb every time. Pronouns are wimps, adverbs can kick pronoun ass with one definition tied behind their back.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 11:41 am
No - I was wrong. (I deleted my previous post)

They are' illustrative adverbs.'

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 12:39 pm
@miss questions,
When, where and how are also pronouns, nouns and conjunctions as well. Why can be a noun as well as a conjunction. It all depends on how you use them and what you're intended meaning is. As such, the examples you've provided are ambiguous because you could be referring to actions, e.g. when in regard to the action of something occuring at some time, which would be an adverbial use. Or, you could be saying "what" or "which" time, which would be an adjectival use. Or, you could be refering to the time or date, which would be a nounal use.
0 Replies