Kim Cattrall Nixes "Sex and the City" Movie

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:59 am
I guess SATC fans will have to be satisfied with the DVD's or the sanitized SATC on, I believe, TNT or TBS.

Cattrall says no to 'Sex' movie

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Kim Cattrall said she didn't want any more "Sex and the City," so that means her co-stars Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis won't be getting any either.

At least for a while.

HBO representatives said Cattrall's refusal led the cable channel to drop the idea of a feature film based on the popular series, which ended its six-season run this year.

"Kim felt fortunate to have enjoyed six wonderful years, both personally and professionally, playing Samantha on 'Sex and the City,' " said Cattrall spokeswoman Marvet Britto in a recent statement.

"She would have loved to have done the movie and made a deal to do the movie, but waited as long as possible with no script or start date and felt she had to take other offers that were presented to her after the hold period had passed."

Cattrall has instead signed on to shoot "Ice Princess" for Walt Disney Pictures.

BALANCE OF ARTICLE LINK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 19
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:36 am
The movie just wouldn't be the same without Kim's supple, pouting breasts.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:38 am
She said no because they wouldn't pay her the same money as Sarah Jessica Parker.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:48 am
I believe she could be a little miffed about being virtually cut out of the TBS reruns. After all, what could be shown on HBO is ultimately censorable for basic cable.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:56 am
This show shouldn't even be on TBS - it's pointless to show it censored.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:00 am
I guess HBO needed the money -- their current series are some of the most expensive ever produced and this has a lot to do with the stars asking for more money. I agree that it should be retitled "Carrie's Laptop and the City."
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:04 pm
I can't believe it is considered so racy over there.

Here in the UK it's been shown uncensored from the start - on Channel 4, one of the "terrestrial" network channels! At 10pm, admittedly, but still...

Can't Middle America deal with a few discussions of sex? I don't understand.

KP
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:25 pm
I don't believe it's considered racy by today's standards but the fact is that only pay cable like HBO can show it. Showtime has no qualms showing homosexual sex on "Queer As Folk."

Of course, there are the dissendants of the Puritans who were actually in the minority. The percentage of people who came to the US for religious freedom is quite low. It's a myth perpetuated by a minority of religious radicals.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:36 pm
kitchenpete wrote:
I can't believe it is considered so racy over there.

Here in the UK it's been shown uncensored from the start - on Channel 4, one of the "terrestrial" network channels! At 10pm, admittedly, but still...

nine o'clock here I believe, or 9:30 ... usta be "ladies night" on one of the commercial stations, SATC plus, er, er ... Ally McBeal, I think. EZ entertainment, more fun than most of the trash.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:38 pm
Sex and the City is CENSORED on American TV?????????!!!!!!!!

It is shown on a normal, highly commercial, free to air, here.

At nine-thirty.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:38 am
It will be censored on basic cable channel TBS -- it was not censored on premium cable HBO. So many Americans still think sex is dirty if someone else is doing it.
0 Replies

Broadslad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:40 am
I just can't believe that Sex and the City has been censored in the USA. What is it with our American friends that they are so full of double standards...outwardly progressive yet at the same time so strangely prudish? What passes without a murmur on British/European TV causes some weird reactions over there. Maybe Americans are still undergoing the "growing up" process where matters of sex are concerned. Remember that escaping boob at the Superbowl? The entire country went into a frenzy of "shock horror". Over here we thought it was hilarious.

The same thing occurs in US sitcoms...anything mildly sexual causes the audience (canned?) to erupt into whoops of wild hysteria. But there again, in these matters we are a bit more mature this side of the Pond. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:57 am
It's the FCC rules applied to broadcast TV but not to pay cable. TBS unfortunately also broadcasts over the air and are bound by those rules. However, violence especially with guns is quite permissable which is how too many Americans get off anyway. Firing guns because their partners won't let them stick their "gun" anywhere near where it counts.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:25 pm
I loved Sex in the City. But I never could see it translating to the big screen. It seemed cheesy to me.

As for TBS, not sure I'll watch it. I read where - from the very beginning - they filmed scenes both ways. For HBO and for eventual syndication on regular TV. But the salty language was part of the appeal. It might seem weird watered down.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:30 pm
I did recall that they had already filmed the episodes edited as they'd have to be about 21min long for a half-hour show with commercials. Wouldn't that be "Ex and the City?"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:35 pm
How in the hell can TBS clean up and yet, get across the true essence of 'funky spunk?"

The so-called diva/money feud between she and SJP sounded media-driven to me. Could Ms. Cattrell's pull-out be due to the fact that she simply does not want to be typecast? She had a somewhat successful career playing varied roles and characters before City but Samantha is truly the role she is best known for. It will be interesting to see what she does next. I think that will tell the real story.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:47 pm
I keep forgetting how different the U.S. really is from Canada. SATC was shown on a regular, no-extra fee station here. The night after it was on Bravo.

Mumble Mumble Mumble

Is AbFab also censored?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:51 pm
AbFab is not censored to my knowledge, unless they are using four letter words that have been altered or cut out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:58 pm
Are you saying that your AbFab doesn't have 4-letter words, or are you questioning if we get more of them?

hmmmmmm, just remembered that the version of Armistead Maupin I saw on U.S. PBS was a tad different from the version I watched on Canadian T.V.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:18 pm
The first "Tales of the City" was produced by PBS and they conformed to broadcast rules although it was very sexy.

Showtime took up the cause on "Further Tales of the City" and althought the sex scenes were actually not more or less explicit, there were some explitives that PBS wouldn't have tried to get away with.

I don't remember any difference between my DVD's of AbFab and the series as it was broadcast on the Comedy Channel, BBC Cable or Oxygen.
0 Replies