Caffeine and Dehydration

gollum

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 01:05 pm
I was told to stop drinking beverages that contain caffeine because they cause dehydration.

My prior understanding was that if the beverage contains caffeine, it passes out of my body more quickly that a beverage that doesn't contain caffeine (e.g., water). (I'm not sure why.)

So even if the caffeinated beverage passes out of my body more quickly, doesn't it hydrate the body at least during the period it is in the body?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 01:08 pm
@gollum,
Well, sure, but it's pulling a lot more liquid out with it as it passes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 01:31 pm

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts?page=2
Caffeine Myth No. 5: Caffeine Has a Dehydrating Effect
Caffeine can make you need to urinate. However, the fluid you consume in caffeinated beverages tends to offset the effects of fluid loss when you urinate. The bottom line is that although caffeine does act as a mild diuretic, studies show drinking caffeinated drinks in moderation doesn't actually cause dehydration.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:30 pm
@gollum,
Edgar hit the jackpot. The clu here is drink caffeinated drinks in moderation. Caffeine does have a diuretic effect but that effect and its duration is doses dependent. The more you consume the more effect it will have. Caffeine in high doses causes hypertension and promotes sodium retention.

This kind of problems occur in people who drink energy drinks, those nasty beverages have more caffeine that your normeal coffee or coke.

So, no, caffeine alone will not dehydrate you if you consume it with moderation. Just be sure to consume also enough pure water between meals.
Miller

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:54 pm
Caffeine is a diuretic and as such increases the rate of diuresis, namely an increased excretion rate of urine. If fluid ( water) loss through diuresis isn't compensated for by equal vol. of water, dehydration may occur.

So, if you consume significant levels of caffeine, best to drink water for compensation of fluid loss.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:21 pm
@luismtzzz,
Indeed. The does makes the poison.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:24 pm
Coffee make me poop, that's all i care about. At my age, that's important.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 06:43 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz-

Thanks very much.
0 Replies