Wage discrimination

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 01:28 pm
Hello,

Ever since the Emma Watson scandal I have been researching wage discrimination due to sex. I have not been able to find any reliable studies that properly control for factors other than sex. If you know some, please send me links of studies or papers on this topic!

Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,186 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 02:36 pm
@zewittykitty,
There are none, you won't find it and no one else will either. To provide this information blows away the notion that women don't get paid the same as men.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 02:53 pm
@zewittykitty,
Emma Watson scandal?

She is an actress saying what is politically popular on a subject in which she has no experience and nothing new to say. There is no scandal here. This shouldn't even be news.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 02:59 pm
@zewittykitty,
You haven't been searching very hard. Just google "wage disparity due to gender".
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 03:04 pm
@engineer,
Have you searched Engineer? The reliable studies show wage disparity in the US is pretty small (much smaller than the political conventional wisdom) and even that is not that definitive.

Engineer, I would hope that you could look objectively at the data without being spun by the politically correct narrative. My understanding is that the wage disparity, when controlled for life decisions and career, is between 3 and 5 cents per dollar, and even that could be explained by factors other than inequality.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 03:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Well said Max. I'm going to agree with you for once. Shhh, don't tell anyone...
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 03:11 pm
@Baldimo,
I am a convert on this one Baldimo.

When I looked into this, I expected to find the often quoted value of 77 cents per dollar to be true. After looking at the at it objectively I found that the data don't support this narrative at all.
0 Replies