Technical Question 2 0f 2

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 11:58 am
In the sentence "Today I will begin a new life.", what is the word "today"? I've spoken to people around me and recieved different answers. One person says that "Today I" is a prepositional phrase, therefore the word "today" is a preposition. Another person says that it is a determiner that limits the pronoun "I". A third person says that it's a noun, just the same as if were replaced with Monday, Tuesday, etc. And there is even a person who thinks that it qualifies as an adverb because it expresses a relationship of time. I'd appreciate any help.

Doubtful

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 05:47 pm
@miss questions,
I believe "today" in that sentence is an adverb. It answers the question "when": when will you begin a new life? Today.

Your other question, I think "each other" and "one another" are direct objects. Not sure whether they qualify as phrases of any sort.

John and Lucy love. Love who? Each other (direct object).
miss questions

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 09:02 am
@Doubtful,
It's my understanding that an adverb, when it's modifying a verb, must be within the verb phrase, therefore, "Today I begin" would be the verb phrase? "Today I" is the complete subject and "will begin a new life" is the complete predicate?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 10:44 am
@miss questions,
It's a noun.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 09:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

It's a noun.

That is correct.
miss questions

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2014 09:54 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Just found this sentence parsing page that says that it is in fact an adverb. I've also asked this question to another forum and I was told that the sentence "Monday I will begin a new life" is not grammatically correct, but should rather be (at the very least) "On Monday I will begin a new life." This person says that the usage of "Monday" in the former example is a colloquelism, which is why (I'm guessing) it sounds proper.

I suppose that "Today" modifies the verb "begin". And I'm still not exactly sure what rule the sentence "Monday I will begin a new life" violates.

http://beta.visl.sdu.dk/visl/en/parsing/automatic/trees.php
0 Replies