Vaping is all the rage!!

roger

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 01:49 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I never said it was harmless.
. I can't understand that you think it's harmless without evidence to the contrary. There's also much evidence nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor. Women who are on the pill (reproductive age) know it's a no-no...unless they want a stroke. Learn a little will you?!

Clearly, he didn't say it was harmless. Now, is there some reason you think nicotine from vaping is worse than nicotine from smoking? It's not about perfectly healthy living. It's about Harm Reduction.
Frank Apisa

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 02:46 pm
@roger,
I'm not sure of what Germlat was getting at either...because FBM CLEARLY stated that he did NOT THINK IT WAS HARMLESS.

Germlat...FBM did NOT say it was harmless!

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 02:55 pm
By the way:

Salt is NOT harmless.

Sugar is NOT harmless.

Bread is NOT harmless.

Beef is NOT harmless.

"Harmless" ought not to be a standard no matter what. (I realize you were not arguing that way, Germlat, but it was worth mentioning.)
Germlat

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:17 pm
@roger,
I don't think bathing our lungs in glycerin is good. I think we've eating sugar long enough to see how it affects us...Diabetes, cavities...but--when a truly addictive substance comes along ( like nicotine), I don't trust some washy-washy, (revenue- loving - let's not call it what it really is, AND THEY WILL COME cause they're addicted, ignorant money-grubbing people ) really have your best interest at heart. . Tell the public it is harmless. People will believe anything....particularly when addicted. I don't mind if you know it's going to ruin you and you persist....Sometimes it takes generations to know...tick, tock....all the while someone is earning revenue...until you're fully hooked, and you no longer care about the damage.
0 Replies

Germlat

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:22 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I never said it was harmless.
. I can't understand that you think it's harmless without evidence to the contrary. There's also much evidence nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor. Women who are on the pill (reproductive age) know it's a no-no...unless they want a stroke. Learn a little will you?!

Clearly, he didn't say it was harmless. Now, is there some reason you think nicotine from vaping is worse than nicotine from smoking? It's not about perfectly healthy living. It's about Harm Reduction.

Nope .. My point is Nicotine is just as bad either way..
except when Vaping. People don't really know exactly how much they're consuming. Nicotine can restrict blood flow... causing strokes, heart-attacks, loss of limbs, teeth...you name it.. Actually, at least with cigarrettes you know exactly how much you're getting.
Germlat

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

By the way:

Salt is NOT harmless.

Sugar is NOT harmless.

Bread is NOT harmless.

Beef is NOT harmless.

"Harmless" ought not to be a standard no matter what. (I realize you were not arguing that way, Germlat, but it was worth mentioning.)

I'm not trying to convince people to turn from their erroneous ways! I'm simply saying there are people (by the tens of thousands ) , who think this is as healthy as eating a strawberry. It is not. Sugar won't make most women of reproductive age have a stroke.... Nicotine can..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 03:56 pm
Vaping is no benevolent thing, no matter how bad excessive salt or alcohol is for one.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:17 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

roger wrote:

Nope .. My point is Nicotine is just as bad either way..
except when Vaping. People don't really know exactly how much they're consuming.

Okay, you just go find any vendor vendor of liquids that does not list the concentration of nicotine. Now, go find a cigarette that does.
Germlat

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:28 pm
@roger,
Yes but...they drip and people lick the drippings.....and there are no definitive conclusions as to what percentage of vaporized nicotine is absorbed by the lungs. There is no conclusive proof.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:43 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I never said it was harmless...
. I can't understand that you think it's harmless...Learn a little will you?!

o,O

Anyway...

Quote:
Propylene Glycol is approved by Health Canada for use in various forms in Canada. These include items injected, applied topically, and inhaled. Products with Propylene Glycol can be found in various common items around your house. A few examples include:

Pharmaceuticals – Oral, injectable and topical formulations
Beauty products including makeup, mousse, shampoo, bubble bath, after shave, and deodorant
baby wipes
Pet food
Asthma inhalers

http://canadavapes.com/health/propylene-glycol-safety.html

Now, if propylene glycol were such a health threat, do you think doctors would be putting it in kids' asthma inhalers?
roger

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:50 pm
@FBM,
Ever been in a club or performing venue that used fog machines? What do you suppose is used to produce the "fog"? It's Propylene Glycol, and I guess you consent to breathe it by the act of walking in the door. I wonder why they are allowed to use it for entertainment.
FBM

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 05:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Ever been in a club or performing venue that used fog machines? What do you suppose is used to produce the "fog"? It's Propylene Glycol, and I guess you consent to breathe it by the act of walking in the door. I wonder why they are allowed to use it for entertainment.

Didn't you know? The Illuminati control the fog machines, just like they control teh gummit. They put crowd control drugs in the fog machines so that people will buy more bell peppers. Then they use the profits to fund the bell pepper industry, which is why I keep finding damn bell pepper on my pizza even after I specifically ask them to leave it off. Big bell pepper is the real threat to us all. Just so you know...
roger

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 05:09 pm
@FBM,
I knew that. You're always hearing about the Powerful Bell Pepper lobby in the news, too.
FBM

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 05:18 pm
@roger,
Glad to know you're not one of those living in denial.
0 Replies

Germlat

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 05:59 pm
@FBM,
What about unregulated nicotine ? Plus-- an inhaler is not addictive ...used maybe twice daily if that. Vaper users depending on dependance use as much as every 15 minutes ...if not more. But--if you think denial makes you cool...be my guest.
FBM

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 06:11 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

What about unregulated nicotine ? Plus-- an inhaler is not addictive ...used maybe twice daily if that. Vaper users depending on dependance use as much as every 15 minutes ...if not more. But--if you think denial makes you cool...be my guest.

You seem to be transferring characteristics of someone you know onto me. Why do you think I think vaping makes me cool? And what difference would that make in a discussion about the safety of smoking and vaping?

As for regulation, an adult can buy and smoke as many cigarettes and cigars as s/he chooses; there's nothing regulating them. And even people who smoke two packs a day do so (typically) for years before the side effects become serious enough to warrant medical attention. And then there's chewing tobacco, snuff, dip, etc. Again, I never said that using tobacco/nicotine was harmless. But that doesn't mean that it kills everyone who uses it, either.

Statistics should be more helpful than rhetoric, I think:

Quote:
Question: What Percentage of Smokers Get Lung Cancer?

Answer:

We know that smoking causes lung cancer, but it’s also clear that some people smoke their whole lives and never develop lung cancer. What percentage of smokers get lung cancer?

Lifetime Risk of Lung Cancer in People Who Smoke

Most statistics look at the overall risk of lung cancer, combining both people who smoke and those who have never smoked. Based on United States statistics, the lifetime risk that a man will develop lung cancer is 7.62%, or 1 in 13 people. For women, lifetime risk is 6.61% or 1 in 15. The lifetime risk of a man dying from lung cancer is 6.26% or 1 in 16, and 4.99% or 1 in 20 women will die from the disease. Clearly these numbers would be higher for people who smoke and much lower for people who have never smoked.
Studies in other countries have broken down the risk further to differentiate between never smokers, former smokers, and current smokers.

In a 2006 European study, the risk of developing lung cancer was:

0.2% for men who never smoked (0.4% for women)
5.5% for male former smokers (2.6% in women)
15.9% for current male smokers (9.5% for women)
24.4% for male “heavy smokers” defined as smoking more than 5 cigarettes per day (18.5% for women)
An earlier Canadian study quoted the lifetime risk for male smokers at 17.2% (11.6% in women) versus only 1.3% in male non-smokers (1.4% in female non-smokers).

More at link: http://lungcancer.about.com/od/Lung-Cancer-And-Smoking/f/Smokers-Lung-Cancer.htm
roger

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 06:41 pm
@Germlat,
http://www.nicotrol.com/inhaler

Twice daily? They are saying from 4 to 20 cartridges daily. This is from the outfit that makes the stuff. I don't know how many uses are in a cartridge, but you can bet it's more than one. If it's only one? Nicotrol is saying it's used from two to ten times as your claim, and if it doesn't provide some sense of satisfaction, it isn't going to work.
Germlat

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:11 pm
@FBM,
I wasn't talking about a nicotine inhaler Laughing I see where you might think that was funny. Maybe I misunderstood what a poster was saying.
0 Replies

Germlat

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

http://www.nicotrol.com/inhaler

Twice daily? They are saying from 4 to 20 cartridges daily. This is from the outfit that makes the stuff. I don't know how many uses are in a cartridge, but you can bet it's more than one. If it's only one? Nicotrol is saying it's used from two to ten times as your claim, and if it doesn't provide some sense of satisfaction, it isn't going to work.

Read my previous post... Laughing "
0 Replies

roger

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:17 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I honestly do not follow your reasoning then, nor how you are planning to get wherever you are trying to go.