Is this correct in English? Check grammar, please

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 10:31 am
I begin to study a foreign language in the fifth grade. It was the English language. I had three hours foreign language in a week in my curriculum. Many pupils learn careless, because of which we keep of curriculum and I missed a lot.
In our country foreign language, one side, not very important. Many inhabitants of even the native language do not know much. It learn take the time, which can be spent on learning profile subjects. But it doesn't mean what foreign language not need to learn.
learning a foreign language has many positive signs. It is primarily broadened your mind. A foreign language help understands foreign books, music and films. Communicate with foreigners give many enjoyments. Learning foreign culture expanded my knowledge. Foreign language enables travel, get jobs and learning abroad.
I think that learning a foreign language should start from the first grade of primary school. At the age very well assimilated school material. With pupils need to more communicate with foreign language, invite foreigners and conduct listening. From high school students to organize voluntary travel abroad to practice the language. I think many parents will agree to pay for the trip.
To sum up, in the modern world foreign language play very important role, and it need spend time a lot in school. I am very sorry, that he paid little attention to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 540 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by LonelyGamer
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 11:44 am
@LonelyGamer,
No, it's rather poor English . . . let's see if we can fix it up.

I began to study a foreign language in the fifth grade. It was the English language. I had three hours of foreign language instruction each week in my curriculum. Many pupils study carelessly, as a result of which we did not keep to the lesson plan and I missed a lot. (I couldn't really make out what you wanted to say in the previous sentence, so i hope this is what you had in mind.) In my country foreign language instruction is not considered very important. (Once again, i'm not sure what you were trying to say, so i made my best guess.) Many native speakers of a language do not know much. (That's an awkward sentence even after attempting to fix it--once again, i'm not entirely certain what you are trying to say.) Learning takes time, which can better be spent on learning profile subjects. But it doesn't mean that foreign language learning is not worthwhile. Learning a foreign language has many positive aspects. One primary aspect is broadening your mind. (I deleted the entire succeeding sentence as it is nonsensical and rather embarrassingly obvious--of course you can't understand books, song lyrics and films in a foreign language unless you understand the language.) Communicating with foreigners can be enjoyable. Learning foreign culture has expanded my knowledge. Foreign language learning can make travel, getting jobs and learning abroad possible. (That is also a rather nonsensical sentence, in that you are unlikely to benefit from travel, a job search and educational opportunities if you don't spake the language of the country to which you travel.) I think that learning a foreign language should start in the first grade of primary school. At that age it is easier to assimilate language instruction.. Students need to communicate more with speakers of the foreign language, invite foreigners to go out or to come to their homes, and just listen. Beginning in high school, students can benefit from travel abroad to practice the language. (I removed the word voluntary because i doubt if anyone is going to kidnap you in order to force you to study abroad.) I think many parents would agree to pay for the trip. To sum up, in the modern world, learning foreign languages plays a very important role, and requires spending a lot of time on it in school. I am very sorry that he paid little attention to it. (What? He who? If you are referring to yourself, you would write: "I'm very sorry that i paid little attention to it.")

Americans, at least, rarely use the word pupil, they are far more likely to use the word student. I can't speak for other non-American native speakers of English.
0 Replies